PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Whooper Swans

Rheghead
03-Jan-12, 16:40
About 100 seen today just north of the A882 near Bilbster. Never seen so many swans in one place.

catherine nicol
11-Apr-12, 12:41
There are regularly 142 beside Killimster Mains farm (on Castletown / Thurso road en route to Tesco)

Kenn
11-Apr-12, 21:23
How long have you lived here Rheghead?
You only had to ask, could have directed you to at least 3 places in the county where you will see large concentrations.

Rheghead
12-Apr-12, 18:35
How long have you lived here Rheghead?
You only had to ask, could have directed you to at least 3 places in the county where you will see large concentrations.

I've only been to Wick 3 times so I hardly go out that way. I hardly go to Thurso now, I'm almost house bound these days.

gardenergirl
16-Apr-12, 23:36
In the field next to my house there are a lot of whooper swans at the moment. There are also lots of bird deterrents that do no good at all, so today the farmer went out and scared them away with his quad. One flew straight into powerlines and was killed. I went into the field to see if there was anything I could do (was so sad, another one had landed again nearby and walked right up to it as I came over :(), but it was dead. I forgot to check for a ring, so went back out this evening and found another 2 nearby that I hadn't noticed earlier (been there a couple of days I reckon).

I'm going to ring the power company in the morning. Apparently 3 dead swans is justification enough for them to put those discs on the lines so they are more visible. I'm unsure as to whether to inform the RSPB or the SSPCA aswell? I wonder whether 3 swans is something that would concern them much, but at the least they might be able to make sure something is done about it? Any advice?

dafi
17-Apr-12, 21:52
I would say inform them both, you might try the SNH as well if they have an office in the county.