PDA

View Full Version : Army Cadets for North Sutherland

Tubthumper
02-Jan-12, 00:05
Some friends are interested in setting up an Army Cadet Force unit for North Sutherland, and I’m wondering if orgers from ‘out west’ could help us gauge interest and figure out the best way forward.
The ACF is aimed at boys and girls aged from 12-18 and provides exciting and adventurous training in a disciplined and uniformed environment. It offers excellent training for adult instructors too.
ACF Detachments usually meet once a week for 2-3 hours on a weekday evening, with 5-10 weekend events and a two-week camp each year. Further training courses and sporting events are also available. Attendance is purely voluntary and ACF membership does not require formal military service in any form.
The ACF is one of the oldest and best-supported youth organisations in the UK. You can find out more at www.armycadets.com (http://www.armycadets.com) or www.armycadets.com/county/1st-battalion-the-highlanders-acf/ (http://armycadets.com/county/1st-battalion-the-highlanders-acf/)

What I would like to know:
1. Is this a worthwhile, viable idea?
2. Where would be the most suitable place to base a unit?
3. Ideas/ ways of getting information to the young people of the area.
4. Ways of making contact with potential adult instructors

If you have any ideas, suggestions or would like further information, please post here or PM me.

yorkshire lassie
02-Jan-12, 09:43
hi tubthumper,
have your friends thought of contacting farr high school with the idea? that way, you can reach pretty much all the 12-18 year olds out west in one go! stewart mcphail or alison mackay would be good people to speak to. if somebody was available to come in and chat to the kids about the cadets, i know that the school would be very accomodating in making that possible, maybe not till after the prelims which finish at the end of january though. army cadets is an idea which i have heard mooted before but the people who tend to get involved with stuff with the kids are already committed to other things. hope this helps.

Tubthumper
02-Jan-12, 11:56
Thanks Yorkshirelassie - have now cleared out my message inbox!