PDA

View Full Version : What's left of the 'Polo'

Tugmistress
01-Jan-12, 17:03
Went a wander up there today, this is what's left.

Anyone know who actually owns it?

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/407465_340141926015016_100000576340844_1288388_760 760091_n.jpg

ywindythesecond
02-Jan-12, 01:56
Don't know the answer Tuggs but that was a fine bit of dry-stone dyking. I have often wondered how it was put together and seeing your picture hasn't answered any questions. If I could start again I would be a temporary works civil engineer and hope to design the means by which the polo was built.

Tugmistress
02-Jan-12, 11:17
I would love to see it rebuilt, it's such a landmark of thurso and scrabster and would be a shame to see it left to grow lichen like that :(

Wonder if i can find out who owns it and see if it could be rebuilt! anyone up for helping me?

slinky
02-Jan-12, 11:35
try steven donn y not grove etc think he built it

Tugmistress
02-Jan-12, 11:37
i will try him, thanks slinky :)

sids
02-Jan-12, 12:01
that was a fine bit of dry-stone dyking. .

It fell over in the wind. Apart from that it was fine, yes.

Dog-eared
02-Jan-12, 13:48
It was built by a Scandanavian sculptor as part of the Northlands festival about 16 yrs ago. It was a good idea and certainly stood out on the skyline.
Arrangements have already been made with the landowner to have it rebuilt on a proper foundation, by a qualified dyker.
The poor quality of building is evidenced by the long narrow stone near the base. Not a good thing to build a high structure onto. It used to rock on its foundation and did well to last this long.

Tugmistress
02-Jan-12, 17:15
that's brilliant dog-eared :) will watch with interest! :D

Dog-eared
02-Jan-12, 18:26
There was another post about this started on 13 December.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?164760-Polo-mint...missing

The polo mint will be back in place for the Spring. Theres a concrete found to pour first.

Tugmistress
02-Jan-12, 20:47
What it looked like less than a year ago!

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/224316_10150179826098144_300395478143_6974072_8343 67_n.jpg

Bill Fernie
02-Jan-12, 20:56
The way it was in 2004
http://www.caithness.org/photos/atoz/scrabster/polo/p4.jpg

gleeber
02-Jan-12, 21:07
I'm aware that art is in the eye of the beholder but I ask you. Call that art? The bloody thing blew over. That should be all part of the artistic experience and the sculptures intimate connection with nature. leave it alone. Anything other will be a fake. :lol:
Frame it in its present position and you have another so-called wok of art.

Tugmistress
02-Jan-12, 21:36
Sorry Gleeber, maybe it's because i only came up here in 2002 and it was already a part of the landscape to me, but i don't see it as art, more a landmark.

David Banks
03-Jan-12, 01:11
Maybe it was just not mint to be.

theone
03-Jan-12, 01:45
I always thought the hole was the best part of the whole structure.

Glad to see it's still there.

Dog-eared
03-Jan-12, 01:49
It always looked its best from Thurso. :)

Or Dunnett....

sids
03-Jan-12, 01:52
The polo mint will be back in place for the Spring. Theres a concrete found to pour first.

Well, that's a life saver!

david
03-Jan-12, 11:03
It looks almost as bad as the wall around Tescos in Wick-and all that cut stone in it-terrible..

gleeber
03-Jan-12, 13:01
It looks almost as bad as the wall around Tescos in Wick-and all that cut stone in it-terrible..
It was never built for its beauty. Arts a funny thing. Strangely enough I think the wall around tescos has a certain artistic value but little or no craftmanship. Thats the difference between the hole on the hill and the idea to rebuild it. Craft and art.
The hole was originally intended as a piece of art. I dont know what was in the artists mind when they built it but thats the purpose of art. To make us think and thats a good thing. The art is not in the construction but in the thought. Loopy I know but unmade beds and blank canvases have made fortunes for their creators.
Once the local dyker has applied his craft to a few different stones and created another hole on the hill on top of a concrete foundation what will you have then? A well built landmark, thats what you will have and your welcome to it. The original concept will have been lost because the blowing over of the hole is as much a part of the artists perception as the hole itself.

Kells
03-Jan-12, 14:08
It was never built for its beauty. Arts a funny thing. Strangely enough I think the wall around tescos has a certain artistic value but little or no craftmanship. Thats the difference between the hole on the hill and the idea to rebuild it. Craft and art.
The hole was originally intended as a piece of art. I dont know what was in the artists mind when they built it but thats the purpose of art. To make us think and thats a good thing. The art is not in the construction but in the thought. Loopy I know but unmade beds and blank canvases have made fortunes for their creators.
Once the local dyker has applied his craft to a few different stones and created another hole on the hill on top of a concrete foundation what will you have then? A well built landmark, thats what you will have and your welcome to it. The original concept will have been lost because the blowing over of the hole is as much a part of the artists perception as the hole itself.

I found it interesting that everyone has focused on the hole rather than the structure which I find is a good interpretation of the structure. The concept I think is based on the Ancient Portals and similar to the cup and ring marking to be found throughout Scotland. If it is rebuilt then I feel the original concept will remain but in a new form, rather like the concept evolving and not losing its value as an artwork.

gleeber
03-Jan-12, 14:21
I found it interesting that everyone has focused on the hole rather than the structure which I find is a good interpretation of the structure. The concept I think is based on the Ancient Portals and similar to the cup and ring marking to be found throughout Scotland. If it is rebuilt then I feel the original concept will remain but in a new form, rather like the concept evolving and not losing its value as an artwork.
My original thought was its evolving towards entropy but your interpretations as valid as mine although I suspect that someday, entropy will catch up with it if it hasnt already. :lol:

Alrock
03-Jan-12, 14:30
Anybody sought the view of the original artist on the issue of rebuilding?

Errogie
03-Jan-12, 19:30
I think there should be more folleys in the countryside whether artistic creations or just plain mad. The north would be a poorer place without the sculptures in the Keiss area, the replica gates of the Indian city on Fyrish hill above Evanton or even the Dounereay dome. Could be a a great theme in the Caithness landscape, what else can you do with flagstones, our ancestors used them for everything from houses to furniture.

david
03-Jan-12, 19:40
I think there should be more folleys in the countryside whether artistic creations or just plain mad. The north would be a poorer place without the sculptures in the Keiss area, the replica gates of the Indian city on Fyrish hill above Evanton or even the Dounereay dome. Could be a a great theme in the Caithness landscape, what else can you do with flagstones, our ancestors used them for everything from houses to furniture.

Build decent walls round supermarkets?

Dog-eared
03-Jan-12, 20:39
Well, that's a life saver!

Since it's a landmark visible from the Pentland Firth, it could also be a..........Fishermen's Friend !!!

Dog-eared
03-Jan-12, 20:46

How do you know the blowing over was part of the artists perception , and that it should not be rebuilt ? The festival which it was part of was about renewing links with the Scandinavians. So maybe it was destined to be reborn....

gleeber
03-Jan-12, 22:39
Aye your right. its my perception of the hole Im talking about but you would expect that. I dont know what the artist was thinking when they erected it but thats what this kind of arts about. Its about making others think. I think thats its purpose anyway. :confused
I appreciate your humour errogie but theres a big difference betweeen a folly and an eccentric piece of art. Maybe I'm being pedantic but its an interersting point to discuss. Im mildly kidding about the hole just to provoke debate but the truth is I have a point. I wont be disappointed when the hole eventually reappears, and I have it on good authority that itll be built by the end of March even though the shochad storms will be developing just as the poor dyker gets his erse into gear.
Itll still be a fake though and never be as powerful a symbol as the hole lying on its back on the ground.

Rheghead
03-Jan-12, 23:51
The original concept will have been lost because the blowing over of the hole is as much a part of the artists perception as the hole itself.

Didn't the Polo's hole get marketed as well?

gleeber
04-Jan-12, 00:04
Didn't the Polo's hole get marketed as well?
Its only the hole that people remember. Think of a doughnut. Holes evoke ancient memories and stupid posts on internet forums. Youve had a long day Rheghead. Go to your bed. :lol:

Rheghead
04-Jan-12, 00:12
Its only the hole that people remember. Think of a doughnut. Holes evoke ancient memories and stupid posts on internet forums. Youve had a long day Rheghead. Go to your bed. :lol:

I'm puzzled by your answer, long day?? but anyway, a hole is as good as substance to an artist due to the concept of negative space.

Errogie
05-Jan-12, 00:16
I don't suppose anybody checked its alignment with the rising sun or even its sighting towards Dunnet Head lighthouse in the Maeshowe idiom (still haven't got there for the shortest day). Where are all the conspiracy theorists when you need one? But given the local reaction to the John O Groats murals perhaps Caithness is not ready to step outside the douce confines of the annual artsts exhibition in the Miller Academy so fondly visited by the late Queen Mum.

theone
05-Jan-12, 00:21
But given the local reaction to the John O Groats murals perhaps Caithness is not ready to step outside the douce confines of the annual artsts exhibition in the Miller Academy so fondly visited by the late Queen Mum.

I'm sure most of the "reaction" towards the John O Groats murals was down to the cost, and longevity, as opposed to the standard of art.

scotsboy
05-Jan-12, 11:01
Was this not just one of three structures that were erected?

Dog-eared
05-Jan-12, 14:21
There were massive stone slab sculptures at the entrance to the business park - BT etc. They were shipped back to Scandinavia.

Errogie
06-Jan-12, 00:04
I blame the rush of oxygen to the brain occasioned by a daily run for stimulating my imagination. But why not rebuild it with five holes as a Caithness contribution to the visit of the Olympic torch to the north of Scotland. It could also be pressed into service as a local stocks for miscreants to allow them to cool off in its wind swept location or alternatively provide a head frame for souvenir photographs from Caithness. The possible dual uses for such a utilitarian work of art are enormous even before you start to build up the legend and heritage background to create a new icon in Caithness identity to rival the Angel of the North!
Go for it Councillors and tourism development officials let's see you put the Pultneytown heat and power debacle behind you and regain some innovation at a potentially very modest cost to the public purse! If nothing else the publicity from such a project would do no harm.

Rheghead
06-Jan-12, 00:26
I'd love to see something built by Andy Goldsworthy. His Enclosure work is great.

Dog-eared
20-Jan-12, 22:50
Andy designs the stonework and helps two very good wallers with the building.

Dog-eared
20-Jan-12, 22:55

Photo courtesy Grigor Fingarov .

Errogie
20-Jan-12, 23:04
Thanks Dog-eared. That is a demonstration of real artistic creativity!

Dog-eared
20-Jan-12, 23:18
Thankyou. I'm sure Grigor would be pleased. He has some interesting photos on facebook.