PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to send cash through the post?

bekisman
25-Dec-11, 23:25
I wondered where I'd read it:

Is it safe to send cash through the post?

Sending cash in a letter or parcel

How to package cash:

package the cash securely

make sure the cash is not visible through the envelope

do not indicate on the package that it contains cash

don’t use an envelope to send coins – they can be damaged by the automated sorting machines

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/letters-parcels/mailing-guide/sending-cash (http://www.postoffice.co.uk/letters-parcels/mailing-guide/sending-cash)

Dadie
25-Dec-11, 23:43
Safer, but, a bit more boring is to send a cheque (crossed is better as well).
Or use a lot of sellotape on a padded envelope and send it recorded...or whatever it is that gives the insurance from the post office, that will cover the amount enclosed.
Or send the cash electronically to the recipients account....very boring, but safe!

oldmarine
25-Dec-11, 23:47
I wondered where I'd read it:

Is it safe to send cash through the post?

Sending cash in a letter or parcel

How to package cash:

package the cash securely

make sure the cash is not visible through the envelope

do not indicate on the package that it contains cash

don’t use an envelope to send coins – they can be damaged by the automated sorting machines

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/letters-parcels/mailing-guide/sending-cash (http://www.postoffice.co.uk/letters-parcels/mailing-guide/sending-cash)

Cash might make it through the mail; however, there are safer methods to get your money to the destination where you want it to go.

bekisman
26-Dec-11, 08:45
I know there are a number of safer ways, but I was thinking of Christmas, and the excitement of little kids opening their card from Grandad and a paper £ comes out..OK there may be a risk,but we're not talking rocket science here are we.
With 10 grandkids it's a risk, and a sad reflection that the days of trusting the Royal Mail not to open them is fast becoming a fact of life.. But hey let's be boring and send em a promissory note, or continue and use the cover of a brown envelope shall we?

lexie
26-Dec-11, 10:43
in a word ..... NO!... stupidly did this once, and was never recieved... Post Office tell you what you should have done is what you know yourself you should have done.... recorded delivery!.. compensation not worth the bother.. 6 stamps!! never ever send cash in the post!

Hoida
26-Dec-11, 11:35
in a word ..... NO!... stupidly did this once, and was never recieved... Post Office tell you what you should have done is what you know yourself you should have done.... recorded delivery!.. compensation not worth the bother.. 6 stamps!! never ever send cash in the post!
No guarantee with recorded I was advised to used Special Delivery, that costs about £5 and such a hassle getting compensation sorted. I now send a cheque always crossed for obvious reasons.This year I have opted to take gifts south mid January weather permitting.

orkneycadian
26-Dec-11, 12:53
Whats the difference between sending cash through the post and anything else that has any value? Freeview boxes, parts for cars etc are 2 things that come to mind....

All those clamouring for Internet Shopping and Ebay seem to have no issue sending items of value by post / courier?

teddybear1873
26-Dec-11, 15:21
Whats the difference between sending cash through the post and anything else that has any value? Freeview boxes, parts for cars etc are 2 things that come to mind....

All those clamouring for Internet Shopping and Ebay seem to have no issue sending items of value by post / courier?

You can insure your product, but you as far as I'm aware of, you can't insure cash by post.

Kodiak
26-Dec-11, 15:32
The only way to send Cash through the Post and have it Fully Insured if it goes missing is by Special Delivery. If you need to send Cash then it is worth the extra money charged for Special Delivery.

The other way to send a letter and make sure it gets there is to post it with no Stamp. That way Royal Mail is keen to get the Extra that they charge for it having insufficient postage. So they make sure that it gets to the destination. This way is very much cheaper than Special Delivery as well.