PDA

View Full Version : Houses for sale in Caithness...

Angel
23-Dec-11, 14:22
Had a look in the estate agents recently and thought 'there seems to be a lot of houses for sale of all descriptions' and wondered why this was so!

It it because people are migrating south for lack of work or prospects.
Is is just an accumulation of property due to the property market slump.
Are they holiday homes and are having to be sold because of the financial state of the U.K.
Is there any connection between this situation and the winding down of dounreay.
Possibly other reasons not listed...

What are your thoughts fellow Orgers...

Angel...

changilass
23-Dec-11, 15:01
Ours is up for sale as hubby was shafted by Dourneay and Nuvia.

Southern-Gal
23-Dec-11, 15:26
Might it be because getting planning up there is much easier tha it is in other parts of the UK? Everyone with land seems to have a plot for sale - that must make demand less.

EDDIE
23-Dec-11, 15:51
The houses are cheaper there is not much demand for houses up in caithness the thing with caithness its a nice place to live if u have a job but if u lose its not so easy to get another job in that area with the the payscale ure used to and unfortantley if u want to work sometimes moving is the only alternative

pat
23-Dec-11, 16:36
Lots of houses and land for sale over here in Lewis.
I think the reason is, it is not cost effective to renovate an old place, if you have the land build a new home as you want it with excellent insulation, get your VAT back as a new build, sell the old one.
Many of the properties on Lewis for sale are older properties which are mainly not insulated correctly and costly to run.

david
23-Dec-11, 17:35
Lots of houses and land for sale over here in Lewis.
I think the reason is, it is not cost effective to renovate an old place, if you have the land build a new home as you want it with excellent insulation, get your VAT back as a new build, sell the old one.
Many of the properties on Lewis for sale are older properties which are mainly not insulated correctly and costly to run.

Your right about renovating an old building-I did this and it cost me double what a new build would have done. However I think it fits in a lot better into the environment than a new "shoebox" would have.