PDA

View Full Version : Labtec mouse + SQL Server

aileenmac
28-Oct-06, 10:07
Hi, I have been having problems getting my wireless optical mouse to start again after changing the batteries. I have tried following the labtec info and ended up with no mouse at all! ( I am using a PB Easy Note) I have managed to get the pad mouse back but it is so annoying! Also I have noticed I have SQL Server Manager running, which I do not remember installing, should I get rid of this and if so how? There are 338 files.
Hope someone can help, thanks.:confused

blueivy
28-Oct-06, 13:57
Hi, I have been having problems getting my wireless optical mouse to start again after changing the batteries. I have tried following the labtec info and ended up with no mouse at all! ( I am using a PB Easy Note) I have managed to get the pad mouse back but it is so annoying!

Hi aileenmac,

There re generally two buttons when using wireless devices:

One on the 'base' (ie. the little box that the mouse communicates with). It may be a docking port for the mouse or it may be something that plugs into the mouse port/USB port on your PC. Sounds like you know what you're doing so you probably know what I'm talking about.
The second button is on the mouse itself (probably the bottom)Both buttons should be labelled 'Connect'.

When you remove the batteries you generally need to re-establish the connection between the mouse and it's base. You do that by pressing the
Connect button on the base and then move the mouse. If the mouse pointer doesn't move on-screen, turn the mouse over and press the Connect button on it. It shoud then connect to the base and start working.

Is there an LED on the base that indicates whether the mouse is communicating with it or not? Are the batteries defintely working?

Also I have noticed I have SQL Server Manager running, which I do not remember installing, should I get rid of this and if so how? There are 338 files.
Hope someone can help, thanks.:confused

SQL Service Manager is installed by a lot of differernt applications that use MSDE (Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine). MSDE is a version of Microsoft SQL Server for workstations.

Microsoft SQL Server is a database server application by Microsoft. You can find out if you still need it or not by:

Look for the SQL Service Manager icon on the System Tray and double-click it. Look at the Service dropdown and see what's in there. Let me know what the options are.
Go into Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and look for something like Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (blahblah). The blahblah bit will give you a hint as to what is using the database.
There are other ways but these are the easiest and quickest.I wouldn't uninstall SQL Service Manager just in case it is being used by something. It is possible that whatever is using it has been uninstalled and left the MSDE bit behind. If you let me know the information above (ie. what the database is) we can take it from there.

aileenmac
28-Oct-06, 14:36
Hi Paul, thanks for all your help, I will start with the SQL bit, The options are Distributed Transaction Coordinator, SQL Server and SQL Server Agent.

Aileen

blueivy
28-Oct-06, 15:36
Hi Paul, thanks for all your help, I will start with the SQL bit, The options are Distributed Transaction Coordinator, SQL Server and SQL Server Agent.

Aileen

Hi aileenmac,

Sorry I missed your chat request!

What is under the Server dropdown in the SQL Service Manager - it will probably look something like WORKSTATIONNAME\DATABASE. The DATABASE part will give us a clue as to why it's there.

If the dropdown is empty then try the Add/Remove Programs option I mentioned above.

aileenmac
28-Oct-06, 15:53
Hiya, thats OK I had to go out anyway. In the SQL Server Manager box there is:

Server - Aileen (in a drop down box, but no othe roptions)
Services - (3) as reply above
Start/Continue
Pause
Stop

Tick box for Auto detect when OS starts

Running\\Aileen-MSSQLServer

Hope this is what you require?

blueivy
28-Oct-06, 16:02
Hiya, thats OK I had to go out anyway. In the SQL Server Manager box there is:

Server - Aileen (in a drop down box, but no othe roptions)
Services - (3) as reply above
Start/Continue
Pause
Stop

Tick box for Auto detect when OS starts

Running\\Aileen-MSSQLServer

Hope this is what you require?

It looks like either there are no databases running on your machine any more or your machine is running the full version of Microsoft SQL Server (which only shows the machine in the drop down list and not the databases).

Do you have an Microsoft SQL Server folder in the Start->Programs menu? If so is there an Enterprise Manager shottcut?

Check Add/Remove programs:

Go into Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and look for something like Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (blahblah). The blahblah bit will give you a hint as to what is using the database.

Also check anything that starts Microsoft SQL Server and let me know exactly what they are.
Is this just a home computer (ie. it's not part of a network with a server)?

aileenmac
28-Oct-06, 16:11
Hi
I found the Microsoft SQL Server Sesktop Engine in the control panel, but not much beside it. Just 59.99mb size and used rarely. If I click on it I just get the option to remove it.

aileenmac
28-Oct-06, 16:13
Sorry it is just a home PC.

blueivy
28-Oct-06, 16:49
Sorry it is just a home PC.

I'd be tempted to remove it if you're sure you don't really use it - I can't see your machine so can't say 'go ahead' but by what you have said it looks like an application has been installed at some point whcih also installed MSDE and then uininstalled and it didn't remove it (most apps don't as many apps can use MSDE and if one of them uninstalled it they'd all be lost).

If you could give me a lit of all the apps installed (ie. from Add/Remove programs) then I could be more certain.

aileenmac
28-Oct-06, 17:31
Hiya,
The list goes on and on! There is nothing funny-looking so I think I will just remove it. I can always reinstall if something doesn.t work.
Thank you for all your time and help - I will let you know how it goes.
I am off to watch the X-Factor now with my bag of sweets and earplugs.
BFN