PDA

View Full Version : tap water

littleted
21-Dec-11, 18:01
does anyone know if flouride is added to tap water here in caithness? thanks :roll:

riggerboy
21-Dec-11, 18:12
yip it certainly is

shazzap
21-Dec-11, 19:04
8. fluoride in water
Scottish Water does not add fluoride to any water
supply in Scotland. Low levels of fluoride are found
naturally in some raw water supplies.

George Brims
21-Dec-11, 19:06
Caithness water doesn't need fluoride added. It has enough naturally.

pat
21-Dec-11, 21:18
Think it is a type of Chlorine/Flourine that is added to the water in the Highlands and Islands - to try to ensure water is uncontaminated at point of useage.
Someone on here will know someone who works for Scottish Water who will be able to confirm what substances are used to ensure our water is fit for consumption at our taps.

Camra
21-Dec-11, 21:25
You can smell it! Since we've had our water source tranferred from Yarrows to Calder the water tastes terrible. It used to be lovely and sweet, now I drink my whisky straight because of the chlorine reek and we also suffer from a black mouldy substance that Scottish Water assure me is harmless. Aye, Right ! i'd like to see the Chairman of Scottish water drink a pint of this harmless black mould if thats the case!........now there's an idea..........

shazzap
21-Dec-11, 21:26
If you go to the www site, which i did. It tells you no Fluoride is added. It also tells you about the process and other info.
I went to mine first, and secondly to Scottish water. Purely out of curiosity, after flouride was mentioned. As fluoride is said to have health hazzards associated to it.

roadbowler
21-Dec-11, 23:43
fairly sure they add chloromine. No flouride.

Dadie
21-Dec-11, 23:48
chloroamine a more stable form of chlorine and a pain to get rid of if you keep fish.
It "removes bugs" from the water making it safe to drink.
But if you are worried about flouride in the water speak to the people at childsmile, they know the flouride levels due too their work
!

Phill
22-Dec-11, 00:27
Stick to putting hops, barley & yeast in. Yer can't go wrong.
But you can put some whisky in though, purely for mededenisisiul....medecinidedidul....midinecidedin ul.......

theone
22-Dec-11, 00:28
You can smell it! .

What exactly does flouride smell like?

shazzap
22-Dec-11, 00:32
Stick to putting hops, barley & yeast in. Yer can't go wrong.

But you can put some whisky in though, purely for mededenisisiul....medecinidedidul....midinecidedin ul.......

Phill. Have you been on the lash tonight.

Phill
22-Dec-11, 00:39
Nope! How very dare you!!! :eek:

Just a wee dram for medisidinidinial.....nemedicicle....oh bolleaux

shazzap
22-Dec-11, 00:40
Nope! How very dare you!!! :eek:

Just a wee dram for medisidinidinial.....nemedicicle....oh bolleaux

DARE. Like a red rag, to a bull. Mwahahaha. [lol]

littleted
22-Dec-11, 20:11
can you get a filter to stop all that stuff?

Liz
22-Dec-11, 20:23
can you get a filter to stop all that stuff?

Yes I have one. :) I got mine from www.pozanni.co.uk (http://www.pozanni.co.uk) It is chloramine which is added to our water and it isn't supposed to smell but it does! Even the filter doesn't get rid of it at times but it's certainly a lot better than straight from the tap.

shazzap
22-Dec-11, 20:29
Yes I have one. :) I got mine from www.pozanni.co.uk (http://www.pozanni.co.uk) It is chloramine which is added to our water and it isn't supposed to smell but it does! Even the filter doesn't get rid of it at times but it's certainly a lot better than straight from the tap.

Your link does'nt work Liz. Can i ask, how a filter works, filtering chemicals. It's not as though it is bits coming through.:)

Liz
22-Dec-11, 20:48
Oops sorry! One too many z's and not enough n's! lol Here you go! http://www.pozzani.co.uk/

The particles are too small to see but the charcoal in the filters absorb them and stop them coming through in the water.

I have one which consists of two filters which go under the sink as I took the one for removing chloramine as well. The water certainly does taste a lot better.

The only way to remove everything completley is to get a reverse osmosis filter. I have been considering getting one of those and Pozanni have these at reasonable prices.

shazzap
22-Dec-11, 21:14
Thanks Liz. Was interested about how it worked.

littleted
22-Dec-11, 21:38
thanks liz..could you tell me liz how long you get out of these filters..?

TAFKAL
22-Dec-11, 21:45
For anyone using a charcoal filter - don't buy a new one! Just pop it in the microwave on full for a couple of minutes to reactivate it. Works with fishtank charcoal too :)

orkneycadian
22-Dec-11, 22:17
Don't waste money on any filters. If there is too much chlorine or choloramine for your liking, simply dilute with water until you get a low enough concentration.

shazzap
22-Dec-11, 22:32
Don't waste money on any filters. If there is too much chlorine or choloramine for your liking, simply dilute with water until you get a low enough concentration.

???????????????

theone
22-Dec-11, 22:49
???????????????

Fishing is so much better if you manage to get a bite!

shazzap
22-Dec-11, 22:59
Fishing is so much better if you manage to get a bite!

Ok, Ok. Iv'e been had. Put it down to my meds kicking in.