PDA

View Full Version : How Madison stopped smoking

Nwicker60
20-Dec-11, 15:49
Could the smoke-free home challenge be one way to kick the cigarette habit once and for all?

WITH more people making an attempt to stop smoking in recent years one Highland resident is urging those who want to stop to sign up to the ‘Smoke-Free Home Challenge’.
Madison Addams, 47, from Alness, successfully stopped smoking in April this year and credits making his home smoke free as playing a big part in why he has managed to stay away from the cigarettes.
He said: “I have tried stopping before using Champix on one occasion and lozenges on another but I didn’t stick at it. I wanted to stop, especially as my wife successfully quit the first time round, so I was determined to keep trying. My Smoking Cessation Advisor had explained the Smoke-Free Home Challenge to me and I was more than happy to give it a go.
Mr Addams continued: “At the beginning of April this year I went back to using Champix and also signed up to the Smoke Free Homes and Cars Project. I have not had a cigarette since the 20th April.”
The Smoke-Free Home Challenge involves smokers and non-smokers promising to make part or their entire home, and their car, smoke-free for themselves, their family and friends.
Mr Addams, who also cut out caffeine at the same time, explained that stopping smoking in the house before stopping completely has helped. He was a lot more positive about it and was actually looking forward to stopping smoking. He said: “I didn’t go into it thinking I had to stop, I wanted to stop. I stopped making excuses as to why I wanted a cigarette and I see myself now as a non-smoker, not an ex-smoker.
Mr Addams went on: “I’m really chuffed that I’ve done it and I don’t have to feel jealous of my wife anymore! I have more money in my pocket, I taste my food better and I just feel better in myself as well. If I had one piece of advice for people trying to stop smoking I would say stop smoking in the home before you tried stopping altogether. I can’t stress enough how much that helped me.”
Eve MacLennan, based in the Mid Highland Community Health Partnership (CHP), is the Smoking Cessation Advisor who supported both Mr Addams and his wife when they stopped smoking.
She said: “Having a smoke-free home is better for those around you as it stops them breathing in second hand smoke. It can also, as Mr Addams has proved, ultimately help you stop smoking completely. He has done very well and I’m pleased that creating a smoke-free home first worked so well for him. Anyone who’d like advice or a FREE Smoke-Free Homes pack to get them started can contact the Smoke-Free Homes line on: LO-CALL 0845 7573077 or speak to a health professional in their area.
If you would like help or more information to give up smoking, you can contact the Highland Smoke-Free Service on Tel: 0800 84 84 84 or e-mail susanbirse@nhs.net
Smoke-free Noel Donaldson writes: “Try various strategies to stop smoking, cut down the daily tally, stop and put the cash in a jar for a special treat etc. I must have had hundreds of attempts before I kicked the habit, about thirty years ago when I was probably buying thirty-a -day.
The successful one started with a cold. My mouth and throat were red raw and I physically wasn’t able to smoke despite several attempts. It gave me yet another start...days went into weeks and I surprised myself by stopping altogether, with a resulting benefit to my breathing and appetite. I am not advocating you stand outside in this weather in order to contract a cold. You might end up with flu or pneumonia.
I always derived great encouragement as my smoke-free periods grew and grew, in length.
The thing that used to annoy me was that you didn’t get any encouragement from your mates to stop. They would keep offering their packets and even blow smoke in your direction. I think they were jealous that you were attempting something they were incapable of. I remember an occasion then a friend of mine got stopped for a fortnight. Over a drink, one day he reported that he was still smoke-free but was going to a stag party that night which he was viewing apprehensively.
I met him a couple of days later, and he was pleased to report that he had not been smoking although he admitted, he had nearly started again.
His pals took great delight in offering him fags and he felt himself slipping. Again a packet was offered and he accepted the fag to a roar from those present at his apparent capitulation. I
There was a stunned silence however as the smoke-free guy proceeded to crumple up the cigarette in his fingers and place it in an ash tray. They never offered him another...
I wouldn’t, however, advocate attempting that ploy over the festive period.
I think that the greatest deterrent is that smoking can kill and some stark and regular advertising, would, I believe, help to concentrate minds.
If you have a comment on the subject, why not share it on the general forum.