PDA

View Full Version : help! we are freezin'.Calling all plumbers

clash67
27-Oct-06, 19:14
Can anyone help? our gas boiler isn't working, seems that the pilot light isn't coming on and there seems to be no other way of lighting it. I daren't touch it 'cause I know very little about them. House is now very cold now. Does anyone have any ideas? I phoned souters but they couldn't help as they are swamped with work until next week sometime.

gleeber
27-Oct-06, 19:30
Its easy. I presume its a back boiler. At the bottom take away the guard from the fire and expose the boiler. Theres an orange button on the left hand side. Press it and that lights the pilot light.
Otherwise...freeze. ;)

angela5
27-Oct-06, 19:36
Its easy. I presume its a back boiler. At the bottom take away the guard from the fire and expose the boiler. Theres an orange button on the left hand side. Press it and that lights the pilot light.
Otherwise...freeze.

Don't you need to hold down the orange button and keep clicking the other button next to it until it lights, from what i remember when i had gas it was something like that anyway.:confused

Freeze.......how cruel..:D Hot water bottles i think clash, oops! i hope your gas boiler does'na heat yer water.

clash67
27-Oct-06, 19:52
Otherwise...freeze. ;)
Afraid there is no orange button, it is a Poterton Kingfisher floor mounted fan assisted gas boiler, it has a reset button that doesn't seem to do anything when pressed but i asume that it only works when the Lock-out light comes on but right now that isn't coming on either.Brrrr...maybe I should phone Stevenson's and ask if they need some place to store fish...chilly!

Rheghead
27-Oct-06, 20:33
I have a calor gas heater which you can borrow until you get sorted out.

oldmarine
27-Oct-06, 22:14

Rheghead it's quite neighborly of you to offer your help. Brrrr it does sound cold. Hope that all turns out well for everyone.

clash67
27-Oct-06, 22:37
Thanks Rheghead for the kind offer but we are sorted for heaters at the moment Ali has been round and taken a look at it and he has managed to isolate the problem to an elecrical fault inside the boiler so he is going to contact some of his sparky mates to have a look at it for me.
Thanks everyone.

Kaishowing
27-Oct-06, 22:46
Hot water bottles i think clash, oops! i hope your gas boiler does'na heat yer water.

Er.....isn't that what the kettle's for?? LOL;) ...or perhaps they have some of those poshe microwaveable gel heat pad things!:eek:

Fran
27-Oct-06, 23:18
Those small halogen heaters are really good and only cost 3p an hour to run, nice and bright, good warmth, safe, no electric bars to set you alight, and they swivel around and have remote control. Only about £14 in woolworths and Whatsits.
Hope you get your boiler fixed soon.

connieb19
27-Oct-06, 23:22
Those small halogen heaters are really good and only cost 3p an hour to run, nice and bright, good warmth, safe, no electric bars to set you alight, and they swivel around and have remote control. Only about £14 in woolworths and Whatsits.
I'm not convinced that halogen heaters are cheap to run. I have one and I'm sure it uses quite a lot of lekky. :confused Not much heat off it either, it just looks hot.

angela5
27-Oct-06, 23:24

I think there dear to run.

Rheghead
27-Oct-06, 23:29
I think a KWh costs us about 9p, so at 333W Fran's heater is the most efficient space heater on the planet. We are saved!!!!!!!!!!!

angela5
27-Oct-06, 23:33
When my gas boiler packed in before i was running 3 halogen heaters and found them hard on the electric, and they don't give out much heat.

pirateeye
27-Oct-06, 23:45

they are dear to run and they always break. we've had our one for ages and it doesn't stop! the switches keep going. we were provided with some free ones but they're all used up now. now the heater won't turn off we have to turn it off at the wall plug! my granny had two and they both broke! they're cheap and not good quality