PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Stone Rob Gibson John farquhar-Munro and the flooding

peter macdonald
27-Oct-06, 19:12
Quoted from todays Groat
"The Liberal Democrat MSP urged the Scottish Executive "to do all in its power to support, financially if necessary, the Highland Council and other authorities and ordinary people deal with the aftermath of this problem. As a matter of urgency, I press you for this assurance and would be grateful for your response as soon as possible."

Mr Stone, who was unsuccessful in raising the matter during First Minister's questions yesterday morning, also wondered if the necessary weather warnings had been sent out to the Highland Council and other agencies."

I wonder why Jamie was not allowed to ask the 1st minister about the flooding up here this morning?? Was it a procedural problem?? or were there "more important "topics to discuss ?
Anyway can you imagine what the response would have been if Edinburgh had been hit with the flooding and 80MPH plus winds weve had .????
or Mr Blairs reaction if this weather had hit SE England ?? I somehow think there would have been "additional" questions included in the agenda
Well done to Jamie Stone and Rob Gibson for trying as well as John Farquhar-Munro for his reaction to the flooding in Dingwall
Never heard anything from the other Highland MSPs though Perhaps they hadnt noticed the rain?

Rheghead
27-Oct-06, 19:34
I think the reason that our hurricane doesn't matter is because we are few of number and far away. Out of sight out of mind. Not that we want an influx of tv reporters but events elsewhere in the UK like yesterdays usually attracts extended news coverage.

peter macdonald
27-Oct-06, 19:43
Aye maybe the reporters are a bit of a nuisance but a bit of publicity perhaps would help to obtain the financial assistance that the Highland Council will need to pay for the clean up etc .the subject Jamie Stone was trying to ask about today. Either that or our council tax is going to take a hit

willowbankbear
27-Oct-06, 20:39
Aye maybe the reporters are a bit of a nuisance but a bit of publicity perhaps would help to obtain the financial assistance that the Highland Council will need to pay for the clean up etc .the subject Jamie Stone was trying to ask about today. Either that or our council tax is going to take a hit

Nothing new there then eh Peter? 4% or 14% rise. Which one do ye think?[evil]

peter macdonald
27-Oct-06, 21:16
Well Bear I dont think we need worry about the lower option !!!! I still would like to know why Jamie Stone s question got knocked back though I was into the Scottish parliament web site but it gives no details of Jack MacConnells oral questions schedule for today only the written ones which are from last week
Good to know some of our MSPs are trying though Never heard anything from the Green Party MSP wifie though ..funny as she could fair make a rant about Tesco coming to Wick

willowbankbear
27-Oct-06, 23:40
And you wonder why people dont vote!!! I do but it isnt for any of the afore-mentioned`s parties. What a mess this country seem`s to be in!:confused I reckon Solidarity will be standing in the next election with the amount of Polish workers flooding the country;)

kwbrown111
27-Oct-06, 23:46
where did you get groat, nothing in Thurso

peter macdonald
28-Oct-06, 09:13
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/

kwbrown111
28-Oct-06, 09:45
cheers for that

JAWS
28-Oct-06, 11:09
Financial help for the Highlands? With an Election due? You must be joking!

Question: How many MSPs do the Highlands return?
Question: How many MSPs do the Central Belt return?
Question: Where will Holyrood concentrate on spending money?

We are a far off little County of which they know little – and care about even less!

peter macdonald
28-Oct-06, 11:34
Jaws very true but Ill bet they will remember Caithness/Highland region if they think they can dump some Nuclear waste up here
Apparently Jack MacConnell was interviewed on STV lastnight but I didnt hear what he said ..The interview was at Robert Gordons Unversity in Aberdeen I beleive You would think if that was the case he would have bothered enough to go up as far as Dingwall to see how bad the damage was It seems that our first minister is a very busy man

bosco
28-Oct-06, 14:31
the reason also the polish workers are coming to this country is to fill the jobs that alot of people dont want to take, the people in this country get there unemployment money to easy, they should be made to help in the comunity, example clean the steets tidy the place up .

peter macdonald
29-Oct-06, 13:33
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6096168.stm
Ah well ..the powers that be in Edinburgh have finally seen fit to act and sent the DEPUTY environment minister to inspect the damage to Dingwall It seems we would need a plague of locusts to go with the flood before anyone of importance would take notice

unicorn
29-Oct-06, 13:58
the reason also the polish workers are coming to this country is to fill the jobs that alot of people dont want to take, the people in this country get there unemployment money to easy, they should be made to help in the comunity, example clean the steets tidy the place up .
after coming up the road last night seeing tree's and branches lying everywhere, sometimes dangerously in the road I think it would be a great way for the healthy unemployed and people on community service to spend their time and also do their bit for their communities as there is a huge cleanup job to be done out there.

connieb19
29-Oct-06, 14:04
after coming up the road last night seeing tree's and branches lying everywhere, sometimes dangerously in the road I think it would be a great way for the healthy unemployed and people on community service to spend their time and also do their bit for their communities as there is a huge cleanup job to be done out there.
That's a great idea Unicorn.

badger
29-Oct-06, 19:20
Friend of mine staying in Edinburgh phoned this morning and had heard nothing about floods up here, even though he'd been watching tv news. Maybe Highland doesn't count as Scotland any more [disgust]

willowbankbear
29-Oct-06, 19:26
Jaws very true but Ill bet they will remember Caithness/Highland region if they think they can dump some Nuclear waste up here
Apparently Jack MacConnell was interviewed on STV lastnight but I didnt hear what he said ..The interview was at Robert Gordons Unversity in Aberdeen I beleive You would think if that was the case he would have bothered enough to go up as far as Dingwall to see how bad the damage was It seems that our first minister is a very busy man,

He only goes where Bridgette lets him go, Peter. He`s doin as she says

peter macdonald
02-Nov-06, 09:21
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6105332.stm
Ah well now we know whats going to happen to the council tax...Maybe if one of our Highland Labour MSPs had gotten of their ends and made a noise it may have been different Thanks for trying Jamie Stone ,Rob Gibson and John Farquhar Munro To the rest remember theres an election in May 2007

bigjjuk
02-Nov-06, 15:11
goos idea unicorn, but would you expect them to do this for nothing?????? And if no, would you do it for nothing. Byu the way i have a good job, just trying to look at it from the other side of the fence.

garble
02-Nov-06, 15:17
Wouldn't want to be controversial bigjjuk, but aren't the healthy unemployed already receiving a form of 'payment' and people on community service have been given that for a reason? Would it be unreasonable to expect either of them to give something back?

henry20
02-Nov-06, 15:24
Totally agree with you Garble. If unemployed had to do voluntary work in order to get their money, they may be more likely to go out and look for a job they'd like doing. I'm not saying that they should be treated like slaves, but if they were paid the equivalent of minimum wage for a 10 hour week, it would cover their dole money. Also, why shouldn't people on community service do work that will benefit the community!?

connieb19
02-Nov-06, 23:55
Totally agree with you Garble. If unemployed had to do voluntary work in order to get their money, they may be more likely to go out and look for a job they'd like doing. I'm not saying that they should be treated like slaves, but if they were paid the equivalent of minimum wage for a 10 hour week, it would cover their dole money. Also, why shouldn't people on community service do work that will benefit the community!?
I agree Henry, I'm sick of hearing people say they dont want to work because they don't want their benefits stopped. People should be proud to work for a living instead of being resentful. :confused

changilass
03-Nov-06, 00:01
Have to feel sorry for the council workers who are looking forward to getting a bitty of overtime to help pay towards xmas - the unemployed would be doing them out of the extra money:confused Think you would also find that there would be health and safety issues and public liability to consider.

concerned resident
03-Nov-06, 10:11
Its time you all woke up and smelt the coffee, Westminster are happy to take our taxes, even the extra ones on over priced fuel, and road tax, as very few of us have the choice of alternative transport, and extra heating as we have a colder climate to down south. We even pay a full TV licence, and have never received a full service like down south. We have often had storm force winds, and they never even receive a mention on the news.
We are remote, and have a small population, the MP’s and MSP’s just open there mouths and tell you what they think you want to hear, then as usual nothing is done.
When we had Caithness Council we had a bit of control, now we have highland Council which is only interested in Inverness, and our local Councillors are passed there sell by dates. You are really a second class citizen, or probably lower, I have voted every year, but I feel it is time I stopped wasting my time. I suspect they are running down the area, so that when they come offering money, for a hole in the ground to bury waste, the propaganda will be put out, and Caithness will end up as a waste hole, for Britain and later for foreign Governments who pay the right price.

kenimac1
03-Nov-06, 16:56
To get back to the floods; I live in Dingwall and perhaps if Highland Council hadn't given planning permission to so many new developments in Inverness and Dingwall without due consideration of climate change, reduction in soakaway and increase in surface run off then maybe the problem would not be nearly so bad. As ye sow, so shall ye reap!