PDA

View Full Version : Dprk

weezer 316
19-Dec-11, 09:49
I will be watching this very closely. I have umpteen books on them and they truly are a mad little country. Quite how this will pan out I dont know, although some sabre rattling towards the south seems almost inevitable.

Phill
19-Dec-11, 10:20
DPRK spring / winterish uprising?

ducati
19-Dec-11, 10:49
I suspect a brief twitch of the Bamboo Curtain, then business as usual.

weezer 316
19-Dec-11, 14:26
No chance of an uprising from below, they are just to much in the dark over there. A realistic possibility is of the army leadership rebelling as they wont fancy taking order from a 28yo.

DeHaviLand
19-Dec-11, 17:57
But surely the son of a demi-god, becomes a demi-god too? Cant see a military coup happening purely for that reason.

weezer 316
19-Dec-11, 19:44
No, the demi-god thing is just a story. The military have a vested interest in things being the way they are, swallowing up around 30% of the countries miniscule budget.

The original succession in 1994 took around 3 years and came off the back of Kim Jong-il having around 25 years experience as a woerkers party official. His son has had around a year to prepare for this, and its not like this is any normal country either. It has a virtually non-functioning economy, its people are poorly educated as exposure to outside information is dangerous for such a regime and its virtually saturated with sanctions so cant really barter its way out of it. Infact, I would guess if China turned off the oil tap the regime would collapse almost immediately....

Like I say, its a mad place. And the story of him dying of a heart attack could be nonsense also. He had a stroke in 2008 but its very possible he could have been bumped off by hardliners (or liberals) becuase of the direction the country is heading in. Nothing really bar complete and total reform, especially economically, will save them and even if they manage to do that, its highly likely a bitter society who are slowly gaining access to outside info would rise up armed with knowledge of things like the fact he had live lobsters airlifted to his train as it travelled across Russia whilst there was a famine going on.

orkneycadian
19-Dec-11, 21:22
Do you think the North Koreans will know what a lobster is? I suspect that "Lobster" will be on the Google blacklist.....

DeHaviLand
19-Dec-11, 22:31
Got to admit, the North Koreans are a very interesting social study subject. I will follow the developments with some interest.

Can you recommend a book Weezer?

John Little
19-Dec-11, 22:35
It's a monarchy really.

weezer 316
19-Dec-11, 22:50
Got to admit, the North Koreans are a very interesting social study subject. I will follow the developments with some interest.

Can you recommend a book Weezer?

2 books. Nothing to envy which is quite a recent one, and Aquariums of Pyongyang. Or if you can read Japanese I was Kim Jong Il's chef by a man called Kenji Fujimoto, as I dont believ an Englsh translation exists.

weezer 316
19-Dec-11, 23:14
It's a monarchy really.

They are confuscianist, and a big part of that is being pretty neutral on authority. I once read someone say they look at govt as like your parents, you dont pick them they are just there. That and real fear as one wrong word you and 3 generations of your family are condemned to the gulags for life.

Phill
20-Dec-11, 00:22
So who gave him the heart attack? CIA, MOSSAD, Kim Jong-un or his own military??

theone
20-Dec-11, 01:33
I once read someone say they look at govt as like your parents, you dont pick them they are just there.

That might be an answer to many of our problems.

The 4 year X-Factor style popularity contest that is British politics results in our leaders trying harder to out maneuver their opposition than leading the country on the right path.

ducati
20-Dec-11, 08:54
That might be an answer to many of our problems.

The 4 year X-Factor style popularity contest that is British politics results in our leaders trying harder to out maneuver their opposition than leading the country on the right path.

I would have thought a comparison with the politics of North Korea would have sparked a more positive response,
but, hey ho.

theone
20-Dec-11, 13:53
I would have thought a comparison with the politics of North Korea would have sparked a more positive response,
but, hey ho.

The idea of having one leader in power for a lifetime is not necessarily a bad one.

As long as they don't behave in the way Kim Jong-Il did..............

Bazeye
20-Dec-11, 17:04
They might be starving but they sure know how to party.

http://youtu.be/VJNBfBr-OGU

orkneycadian
20-Dec-11, 20:36
Maybe it would be a good idea to send train fare dodgers there - Give them a proper wake up call! Would save all the do-gooders in this country complaining about their poor faces.....

Phill
20-Dec-11, 21:20
They might be starving but they sure know how to party.

http://youtu.be/VJNBfBr-OGU

Hmmm, the young wifey's in the boots dancing around with the swords look like a Max Mosley style party!

Rheghead
21-Dec-11, 00:28
An eventful year for despots. maybe Team America does actually exist?

Phill
21-Dec-11, 09:18
So do we need to open a book on Mugabe then? (Looks like Syria is in the hands of the Russian's).
Cleudo style, how does he go & when?
Could it be the a Big Blu, or are Team America saving them for Iran?