PDA

View Full Version : Flooding

orkneylass
27-Oct-06, 18:46
Hi there, we've just been told that Orkney had the heaviest rainfall in the UK yesterday, 3 inches in 17 hours, and we also had a force 9 gale! It was a bit crazy. I went to work in Kirkwall in the morning and the water was covering 80% of the width of Victoria Street. For some reason, it did not occur to me that it was going to get worse! We were told to evacuate the building at lunchtime - more like abandoning ship, complete with very fetching carrier bags on feet held on with rubber bands. The drive home was horrific, avoiding the airport road, my usual route, as by then it was completely closed. Decided I had better fill up with petrol at the local shop - stood with my back to the wind and gave up with tank three quarters full and me totally soaked despite long raincoat - also hardly able to stand in the wind! What stories do other folk have?

cuddlepop
27-Oct-06, 20:03
Glad you made it home safely Orkneylass.We just had the usual wet and windy night here on Skye.Wonder if this is a sigh of things to come,more wind and rain and less frost and snow.:eek:

pultneytooner
27-Oct-06, 20:17
Glad you made it home safely Orkneylass.We just had the usual wet and windy night here on Skye.Wonder if this is a sigh of things to come,more wind and rain and less frost and snow.:eek:
It's the apocalypse I tell ye, wur all dooooooooooomed.[lol]

orkneylass
27-Oct-06, 20:31
The Orcadian Website says we could get snow on Tuesday - anyone heard anything similar????

aileenmac
27-Oct-06, 20:35
I know the east coast of USA had sno the othe day, so maybe we will get some. Does anyone know where Loch More is? It was one of the photos last night on the org with just the cottage and lots of water! I haven't heard of it.:confused

Phoenix200416
27-Oct-06, 20:36
I didn't realise how bad the roads were yesterday until I tried to get home from Halkirk to Wick yesterday. I couldn't believe how much water there was on the roads and the sizes of the rivers! Jeepers I've never seen so much water in my life!!!

Naefearjustbeer
27-Oct-06, 20:46
Does anyone know where Loch More is? It was one of the photos last night on the org with just the cottage and lots of water! I haven't heard of it.:confused

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=308370&Y=946045&A=Y&Z=6

This will give you an idea where it is. the Thurso river flows out of Loch More. The cottage is just beside the damm and fish pass.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=308370&Y=946045&A=Y&Z=3

This link shows it at a better scale

aileenmac
27-Oct-06, 20:51
Thanks for that - great links! Not far away then eh? ( but i suppose that is relative )

Naefearjustbeer
27-Oct-06, 20:58
Its a nice place to go to for a walk or a cycle. bloomin twisty single track road up to it though. Quite impressive I would imagine watching all that water roaring over the dam. Its not the irst time the water has come over the top and not the ighest either if this old pic is anything to go by.http://www.thisishalkirk.co.uk/photo-gallery/loch-more.jpg

aileenmac
27-Oct-06, 20:59
Does anyone live in the wee house?

oldmarine
27-Oct-06, 21:51
From the view of the photos I have seen, you local folks had quite a siege. I hope it gets back to normal for you soon.

j4bberw0ck
28-Oct-06, 00:41
For some reason, it did not occur to me that it was going to get worse!

:roll: Tried to tell her, but being male, my input was disregarded as meaningless, baseless waffle :lol:

No, sorry dear, I didn't mean it....... ow........ please don't do that any more.... ouch.......oh please, no........ you were right, dear, as always.......

Naefearjustbeer
28-Oct-06, 01:34
Does anyone live in the wee house?
I think it is used as a place for the fishermen to go and have dram and a bite to eat on a cold winters day.