PDA

View Full Version : Gym

spaceshipone
18-Dec-11, 01:58
I've been considering starting to go to the gym in Thurso but I want to know some information about it before I start. Does anyone use the gym or have any information about it? anything would help thanks!

donss
18-Dec-11, 11:58
The Council run Gyms in both Wick & Thurso are excellent, both facility & staff wise. Loads of up-to-date equipment for all types of exercises and fitness regimes and all at very good prices.
Like any gym, it's only as good as you make it, and if you put the effort in, you'll get what you want out. If you don't, you won't. Simple.

Best thing to do before you sign up to highlife or whatever, is to go and pay for a one- off entrance, and see what you make of it. Go alone, or with a friend: whatever you feel comfortable with.

Good Luck. ;-)

jings00
18-Dec-11, 12:19
Before you can use the Council gym you have to book and go through an induction,

Wanted
19-Dec-11, 15:41
If these "gyms" as mentioned still use the air assisted machines , i would not bother , you need free weights as well as machines that have weight stacks on...plus take a look at the people who are "advising you" ...do they LOOK like they really train ?..............Personal Trainer for years.

offcomedun
19-Dec-11, 17:22
Anything is better than nothing ...give it a go but it does depend what your desired outcome is .
The thing to remember is go steady and regularly to start then increase as you get used to it , I have seen on many occasions people charge into gyms do loads and then never return put off by the aches and pains and strains .
Ive trained in one way or another for 30 years and have swapped 120kg bench presses and 350 kg leg pressing for high rep press ups and squats and bent laterals using 6pint milk cartons filled with pebbles lol ...not ideal but it does the job.
Im thinking off using the gym in Wick next year and looked around a few weeks back...it looked ok for basic fitness and a strength training.
One thing to remember is don't be afraid to ask advice ...most people in gyms are more than happy to help out weather it be through advice or just a helping hand.
Good luck to you...let us know how you go on and what you make of the facilities .

donss
19-Dec-11, 19:35
If these "gyms" as mentioned still use the air assisted machines , i would not bother , you need free weights as well as machines that have weight stacks on...plus take a look at the people who are "advising you" ...do they LOOK like they really train ?..............Personal Trainer for years.

These 'gyms', as you call them Mr. 'Wanted', do a tremendous amount for the locals that use them, and for the local sports clubs that train in them. Not everyone wants or needs a pumped up Personal Trainer. These gyms also have an impressive varied selection of free weights and weight stack machines for most exercise regimes: Perhaps you should give them a look; as you should the people who use them: I'm sure that you'll find that a lot of the users do actually look like they really train... as may the people who are giving their advice here, and not their 'professional' condescending point of view as you appear to be attempting.

If you can't give user spaceshipone some positive advice, then best not get involved.

Sorry for my little reply spaceshipone; not meaning to take your query off track. Thanks

ShelleyCowie
19-Dec-11, 19:46

Rubbish! Thurso gym is an excellent place. The staff there are excellent and yes, they do train. I wouldnt want some bulky body builder hussling me to do stuff i didnt. No need to say remarks about peoples "LOOKS" as you say :/

spaceshipone
31-Dec-11, 00:37
Okay so do i need to phone to book an induction or can go in and book it?

pmcd
31-Dec-11, 10:47
I hope gyms are rather more serious up here than they are down in the South. There, they make their money by harvesting thousands of subscriptions at several hundred quid a pop from guilty overweight city types at New Year's Resolution time, and cream the profits as 90% of them drop off the radar within the month. When I - in my mid 50s - decided I was getting a bit wobbly, I took a job in the local M&S warehouse, humping and dumping. The money wasn't great, but it sure beat the schnarch out of paying hundreds for gym subscriptions. I did this every Christmas season for 5 years, and always lost a couple of stone and grew some OK muscles. THere's a lot to be said for milk containers filled with pebbles - at the moment I'm heaving boulders in my garden!

Tristan
01-Jan-12, 03:47
Not sure if it is still there but there was a gym up in the Pennyland area of Thurso with freeweights.
Make sure you use freeweights, kettlebells or bodyweight exercises - Aoid machines at all cost as they are a good way to get injured.