PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Internet Explorer

bekisman
17-Dec-11, 19:53
It's not a technical problem, but I know (like me) there are quite a few of us on the older versions of IE..
OK, don't start, yes I use IE 7, but still surprised that Microsoft is going to automatically put us on the most recent IE browser - I thought there were problems with IE8?

From January, Internet Explorer (IE) users will be automatically updated to the latest version of the browser.Future updates to the browser would be applied without a user's knowledge to help beat scammers catching people out with fake updates.
The giant upgrade programme will affect IE users running Windows XP, Vista and 7, and will first be rolled out in Australia and Brazil. Only those Windows users with automatic updates turned on will be enrolled in the programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16214912

Kodiak
17-Dec-11, 20:29
Why not just forget IE altogether and go and get a good browser, like Firefox. Here is a link for you :-

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

It is FREE as well

Corrie 3
17-Dec-11, 20:46
Kodiak is right Beks, give up on Explorer, it's naff! I use Firefox and you get no problems whatsoever. I have also been told you get less spam and less chance of hacking on Firefox. Give it a try, what have you got to lose?

C3..................:)

bekisman
18-Dec-11, 00:21
OK gave in - gone onto it, will see what happens...

gerry4
18-Dec-11, 11:35
Googles, Chrome has overtaken Firefox as the alternative. Been using it for a few months now with no problem and lots os apps/plugins for it.

gingernut
18-Dec-11, 19:07
Why not just forhet IE altogether and go and get a good browser, like Firefox. Here is a link for you :-

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Thanks very much for your recommendation Kodiak.
I've started using firefox as my browser and am amazed how much faster than IE it is.
Cheers

ducati
19-Dec-11, 08:59
I use IE 8 no problems and much less fussy. Tried Google Chrome and got fed up of it asking me to change stuff all the time. But I tend not to customise anything. Because I have a life. :lol:

Phill
19-Dec-11, 10:25
I generally use firefox but keep IE as it's the only browser that will run some sites.
Chrome I found was utter shite, but maybe I didn't know how to drive it!

RecQuery
19-Dec-11, 15:39
IE8 has no problems, don't know where that's coming from. It's better than IE6 and IE7 and the interface looks identical to IE7, more secure, more standards compliant and all that. Anyone still using IE6 deserves to be shot (it's mostly lazy or inept IT admins though). IE 8/9 are basically the best of a bad family (Internet Explorer).

That being said I'd still recommend going with something else. Any of these is good:

Firefox
Chrome (or any WebKit based browser really, Safari etc. I'd actually recommend Chromium)
Opera

My personal preference is Firefox/Iceweasel. It's up to version 8 now BTW but not via their automatic upgrade which is still stuck at version 3.6 you need to download the new version manually. It's good out of the box, but you might want to take a look at the addons and extensions sections to customise it.

As for Chrome being more popular, the combined versions of IE still win and I'm kind of concerned that Chrome gained a lot of its popularity by bundling itself with installers and configuring itself as the default browser, it's a very crapware like thing to do.

bekisman
19-Dec-11, 17:45
Nope, chickened out, couldn't get used to Firefox after umpteen years with Microsoft, so taken RecQuery's (he's a computer Bod) saying IE8 has no problems, so I'm now like Ducati and on IE8..

What do I do now with my Amstrad disks?

George Brims
19-Dec-11, 20:37
Googles, Chrome has overtaken Firefox as the alternative. Been using it for a few months now with no problem and lots os apps/plugins for it.
Tried it, don't like it. Sticking with Firefox.

Rheghead
19-Dec-11, 20:43
Aren't they all much of a muchness?

orkneycadian
19-Dec-11, 21:02
Do folk still use Internet Explorer? :eek: Thought it went out with betamax?

bekisman
19-Dec-11, 22:30
Do folk still use Internet Explorer? :eek: Thought it went out with betamax?
And wot's wrong with betamax? if you want as well they are on Ebay for forty quid..

bekisman
04-Jan-12, 17:36
The End of IE6 - I'm on IE 8 and quite like it, but Naughty Naughty Google Chrome - (well it was not their fault I suppose)

Meanwhile rival Google has been forced into an embarrassing climb-down on the promotion of its Chrome browser.

It has downgraded Chrome in its search listings after the discovery that a marketing campaign paid bloggers to promote a video about it. The search giant has distanced itself from the campaign, blaming third-party marketing firm Essence Digital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16408850

billmoseley
04-Jan-12, 18:08
chrome rocks i love it