PDA

View Full Version : £10 For a crab

GLENELG
17-Dec-11, 00:12
I was up to-day at Tescos and they were charging £10 for a Crab,the people that are riscking there life .catching them are not even getting that for 10 crabs.A no that Tescos are the most expensive Super market in the UK,And to charge £10 for a small Crab is ridiculous you would get a Turkey cheaper[disgust].

linnie612
17-Dec-11, 00:17
Who press-ganged these poor fishermen, that they have had to 'risk their lives?'

offcomedun
17-Dec-11, 00:29
its about time the supermarkets got their claws out of the poor fisherman....the fishing industry is just a shell of what it used to be.

unicorn
17-Dec-11, 00:34
Nobody press ganged them but it is a fact of life that fishing is a horrendously dangerous and hard job. I would not want anyone I loved doing it, it is bad enough to have a family member on the lifeboat crew and worrying about him without thinking about the times he was out on a boat when he was fishing.

GLENELG
17-Dec-11, 00:43
its about time the supermarkets got their claws out of the poor fisherman....the fishing industry is just a shell of what it used to be. Very true offcomedun.

GLENELG
17-Dec-11, 00:51
Very well said unicorn

rogermellie
17-Dec-11, 00:57
its about time the supermarkets got their claws out of the poor fisherman....the fishing industry is just a shell of what it used to be.

:lol: excellent puns indeed

seriously though, how big was this crab ? presumably it was cooked/prepared in some way ?

GLENELG
17-Dec-11, 01:03
It was a small Orkney female crab and it was cooked,the same size of crab which there selling in Liddles for £3

shazzap
17-Dec-11, 01:11
Who press-ganged these poor fishermen, that they have had to 'risk their lives?'

Any job at sea is risky, and treacherous at this time of year, in this weather. Whilst no one is press ganged. Some times needs must.

orkneycadian
17-Dec-11, 11:38
Maybe the good people of Caithness are finally cottoning on that Tesco may not be the saviour of society they were thought to be?

Its a bit unfortunate for them that crab, is a KVI (known value item) to Glenelg. In charging £10 a pop for one, they are hoping that most of the buying public are too remote from the reality of life these days that they have no earthly idea what crab is worth, and will happily shell out ([lol]) £10 for a peedie one as a Christmas luxury!

It should really beg the question, "how many other non KVI's are they charging funny money for?"

offcomedun
17-Dec-11, 11:55
Is there nowhere at any local harbours where Crabs, Lobster's can be bought ?...I bought a few bags of Crab claws and a decent size dressed Crab from a mobile fish seller who stopped, beeping his horn outside my abode...I think it only cost £8.50 and tasted really fresh.

Kenn
17-Dec-11, 12:00
Why would any one buy a crab or any sort of sea food from a supermarket in the county when you can easily get fresh?
I prefer to visit one of the local harbours and purchase direct from the small boats in the knowledge that it is straight from the sea and I will pay an honest price,although you would then have to cook and dress it but that is quite an easy task.
I also use the fishmongers and find their seafood excellent and their staff very friendly.

I would point out though that if the crab is ready dressed then the cost will be much higher as you will need the meat from 2 or 3 crabs to fill the shell.

orkneycadian
17-Dec-11, 12:06
Why would any one buy a crab or any sort of sea food from a supermarket in the county when you can easily get fresh?

Probably for the same reason they won't buy anything else local and fresh!

Commore
17-Dec-11, 12:21
I was up to-day at Tescos and they were charging £10 for a Crab,the people that are riscking there life .catching them are not even getting that for 10 crabs.A no that Tescos are the most expensive Super market in the UK,And to charge £10 for a small Crab is ridiculous you would get a Turkey cheaper[disgust].

I agree with you, their prices are never competive, and with regard to what farmers and fishermen get for their produce, it amounts to less than a pittance! and is a downright disgrace,
how can Tesco's justify a jump of 65% on one of their most basic products in one week?
the product referred to is their most basic of basic plain rice,
which was 40p per pack and it shot up to 65p, where is the justification in that.

Tesco are in my opinion, daylight robbers!!!

Torvaig
17-Dec-11, 12:29
I'm afraid justification does not come into it.

In Tesco's it is ready to go, no need to go to a fishmongers in a different part of town, no need to look for ingredients with which to dress it etc., etc.

CONVENIENCE is the word and ALWAYS WILL BE the word; except for those who appreciate good fresh food and local suppliers.

DeHaviLand
17-Dec-11, 12:54
And to charge £10 for a small Crab is ridiculous you would get a Turkey cheaper[disgust].

But you dont get as many legs on a turkey :)

Mystical Potato Head
17-Dec-11, 13:02
But you dont get as many legs on a turkey :)
Turkeys are also a real pain to get out of the creel.

Kodiak
17-Dec-11, 13:05
There is a Very Simple answer to all you who are complaining about Tesco and their Prices.

That is ......Wait for it as I dont want to get you all too Excited.

Just....Do....Not....Go....Into....Tesco....and... .Buy....From....Them.

That way you will have nothing to complain about and you all should be Happy then.

As to the price rise of Rice, there is a Global Shortage of Rice and the price has risen by 70% and in some cases more. This price rise is now filtering down and is being passed on to the consumer.

As an Example a Kilo of Rice has Doubled in Price in Bangladesh, :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/news/2008/04/080411_rice_seq_wt_sl.shtml

sids
17-Dec-11, 14:06
I was up to-day at Tescos and they were charging £10 for a Crab

You know what I'd do? I wouldn't buy it.

the people that are riscking there life .catching them are not even getting that for 10 crabs.A no that Tescos are the most expensive Super market in the UK,And to charge £10 for a small Crab is ridiculous you would get a Turkey cheaper[disgust].

You what I'd do? I wouldn't catch and sell them for a too-low price.

Southern-Gal
17-Dec-11, 14:29
Is there anywhere in Caithness where you can go and buy directly from the fishermen who catch crabs?
And if there is do people tell others about it or do they keep it to themselves?

GLENELG
17-Dec-11, 14:52
Turkeys are also a real pain to get out of the creel. All depends what size of creel and Turkey[lol]

GLENELG
17-Dec-11, 16:02
Is there anywhere in Caithness where you can go and buy directly from the fishermen who catch crabs?
And if there is do people tell others about it or do they keep it to themselves? You can go down to any Harbour and the Fishermen are quite willing to give you a few crabs for free as longs you do not make a habit of it as some people do,they do not realize that it costs a lot of money now to run a Creel Boat even a small one,the days of will give you a dram the next time we see you,which you never get are long gone

tonkatojo
17-Dec-11, 16:04
And if there is do people tell others about it or do they keep it to themselves?

I doubt you will get an answer on here, the fishery officer might be an orger and he will be duty bound to act on "black" back pocket landings EEC rules and all that.

billmoseley
17-Dec-11, 16:50
Tesco drive the prices down in all industries. I used to be in dairy farming and i'm not now because of the big supermarkets driving down the prices. But people will still keep going there because it's cheap and they can save money for more fun things.

deere john
17-Dec-11, 17:23
Think we will land to tesco at that price lol . As were only getting £1.20 kilo from the buyer and thats for this time of year lol in the summer months it could be as little as 80p kilo and 50p kilo.

gerry4
17-Dec-11, 17:42
You can go down to any Harbour and the Fishermen are quite willing to give you a few crabs for free as longs you do not make a habit of it as some people do,they do not realize that it costs a lot of money now to run a Creel Boat even a small one,the days of will give you a dram the next time we see you,which you never get are long gone

When is the best time to go down to a and try to buy a crab or lobster? Also which is the best harbour to go? I don't mind paying. They are doing it to make a living & know it will be fresh.

GLENELG
17-Dec-11, 17:49
Think we will land to tesco at that price lol . As were only getting £1.20 kilo from the buyer and thats for this time of year lol in the summer months it could be as little as 80p kilo and 50p kilo.Land to Asda and you will get a lot more,the only thing is you will have to go to Elgin

GLENELG
17-Dec-11, 18:43
When is the best time to go down to a and try to buy a crab or lobster? Also which is the best harbour to go? I don't mind paying. They are doing it to make a living & know it will be fresh.Sunday mornings usually at Wick,not allot of meat in Crab just now Lol

Spring Flower
17-Dec-11, 23:40
I doubt you will get an answer on here, the fishery officer might be an orger and he will be duty bound to act on "black" back pocket landings EEC rules and all that.

Hi there, crabs and lobsters come under different regulations - I do not believe there are quotes on catching them - for now anyway!!

tonkatojo
18-Dec-11, 00:30
Hi there, crabs and lobsters come under different regulations - I do not believe there are quotes on catching them - for now anyway!!

This fellow is thinking different http://www.fishnewseu.com/latest-news/scottish/5972-skipper-voices-fears-over-shellfish-quota.html

A (http://www.fishnewseu.com/latest-news/scottish/5972-skipper-voices-fears-over-shellfish-quota.html)nd not sure what th outcome of the following was/is http://www.fishnewseu.com/latest-news/uk/5334-defra-may-introduce-tacs-and-quotas-for-shellfish-management-warns-nffo.html

Frith
18-Dec-11, 11:17
Fishmongers on thurso harbour can probably help you there?

111heather
18-Dec-11, 14:38
well if you at the harbour when crab boats come in if you ask them they might give you a few crabs to take home an cook for your self you can only ask

ducati
19-Dec-11, 10:55
I know a public convenience where you can catch crabs.

GLENELG
19-Dec-11, 19:45
I know a public convenience where you can catch crabs.So do I ha ha

offcomedun
22-Dec-11, 00:03
I know a public convenience where you can catch crabs.Anyone know why my post was removed...I've had no messages ...it wasn't rude and was very similar to your post Ducati .

bumblebee90
23-Dec-11, 10:17

Nobody has press ganged them, they do it to make a living unlike some people in the world who would rather sponge of the government!! And YES they do risk their lives everyday simply to make ends meet...

bumblebee90
23-Dec-11, 10:19
Sunday mornings usually at Wick,not allot of meat in Crab just now Lol

Lybster Harbour for sure!

Southern-Gal
23-Dec-11, 13:55

'Pressure' comes in many ways, forms and disguises.
Pressure to provide for your family, pressure to not be a parasite, pressure to not let your work colleagues down, pressure to meet consumers demands and so on will press a fisherman to work in what can be a dangerous and harsh enviroment. So yes, they are pressed into going out in all weathers one way or another.

What fishermen and other hard workig men dont feel pressed to do is claim and sponge like a parasite in order to wear the latest fashions and know their rights inside out like some 'men' like to do.
Its all about pride and priorities :)

bigk
23-Dec-11, 17:25
i spent years on and off creel boats and was so sick of crabs after a while that i just gave them away to family and friends now i cant afford even a small crab from any shop!!!!

GLENELG
23-Dec-11, 17:44
Nobody has press ganged them, they do it to make a living unlike some people in the world who would rather sponge of the government!! And YES they do risk their lives everyday simply to make ends meet...And i fully agree with you there bumblebee,you allways get somebody that doesent no what there talking about.

Iceman
24-Dec-11, 00:59
Well i used to haul a few creels a good few years ago and i would say Tescos price is quite fair ..... i mean we would get maybe 40p per crab and the buyer we sold to would get maybe £3 per crab ...... so by the time the crab gets shipped from Caithness to wherever and gets cooked and vacuum packed and back here £10 per crab isna that bad !!!!!!

cogzie
16-Mar-13, 21:57
80p a kg we get for crab and there selling them for £10 eatch ffs where is the justice in that

Rheghead
16-Mar-13, 22:09
I only buy Fairtrade crabs these days. I make sure that the fishermen who risk life and limb getting our food are getting a decent price.

ducati
16-Mar-13, 22:10
Isn't that for like Malasian fishermen?

pat
16-Mar-13, 22:17
Buy my ones from the Farmers Market on a Saturday in Stornoway £1 a time, you can also buy claws only.
First time I bought them did not realise they were alive as I gave the person who was with me the money to pay for them whilst I went to do something else, had three in a plastic bag, took them with me to a light lunch, then home and popped them in the fridge.
Went to the fridge later that evening to have a crab - then I realised it was looking at me, blowing bubbles and waving its sensors, it was alive.
Got the big pot on the cooker and set to on a Saturday night to cook the blighters, they did taste great.
Now I take them straight home and in the pot.

sids
16-Mar-13, 22:22
80p a kg we get for crab and there selling them for £10 eatch ffs where is the justice in that

Why don't you retail your catch on a stall in the High St and undercut Tesco?

Shaggy
17-Mar-13, 00:19
I was up to-day at Tescos and they were charging £10 for a Crab,.

a quick link on their website shows this
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262919342
no mention of crab at £10

So are Tesco in Caithness just charging any old price ? i thought the price had to be the same in every shop?

cptdodger
17-Mar-13, 00:30
So are Tesco in Caithness just charging any old price ? i thought the price had to be the same in every shop?

Tesco compete with whoever is around them, for instance, when I lived in Dundee, the Tesco Metro, was a lot dearer for certain items, than the Tesco Extra (which was a 15 minute walk away) Opposite the Tesco Metro was Marks and Spencer, and they only had to undercut them slightly. I can only think they charge for "convenience".

luskentyre
17-Mar-13, 02:20
buy directly from the fishermen who catch crabs?

There's a joke there somewhere...

Southern-Gal
17-Mar-13, 15:46
:o Not that I know any you understand!

suttonstar
05-May-13, 11:22
If people we're willing to pay good money for day fresh crab or lobster at harbours instead of tesco every small boat would be cashing in,However most people who come to harbours are looking for fresh shellfish for free or very cheap.As a result of this,fishermen don't want the hassle for a few measly quid.For those shellfish lovers out there that ARE willing to pay, find a small fishing boat And wave £20 in the skippers face and he wil happily give u 10 crabs.