PDA

View Full Version : British Telecom!

John Little
16-Dec-11, 21:16
Well now - here we are about to move house. So my wife goes on the phone on Tuesday and explains to the BT woman that we are moving house on 19 December.
The BT woman does not want to listen. What she wants to do is ask or demand of my wife why we do not want to go with BT at our new address.

My wife tells her that we are reviewing our options. That she has not phoned up to discuss who provides our phone and broadband, but to tell BT that we are leaving this address.
Eventually BT woman caves in and takes note that we are leaving on 19 December.

Later that evening, after close of business we get an automated email; telling us that our phone and Broadband will be cut off...on 14 December....if the details are wrong then phone this number. We do - office is closed.

Next day my wife is on the phone telling them they have made a mistake. They admit it but can't correct it. It is in the system that our phone will be switched off and the broadband too and there is nothing they can do to stop it.

I do not think I have ever heard the word 'ridiculous' used by anyone so often - Mrs L got very shirty indeed but it made no difference - we were in the grip of a vast unreasoning beast.

Just after 5 on 14 December our phone and broadband were cut off.

Shortly afterwards a man came on my (Tesco) mobile to tell me that I would be given a temporary number and that my phoneline would be re-instated on 15 Dec. We did indeed get a temporary number and could call people. Unfortunately we could not tell them our number because no-one told us it.

Never mind - today we got our number back.

We cannot have broadband - you have to allow 30 days for a connection.

Yes I know it was their mistake- but rules are rules.

Ever tried negotiating with a solicitor, getting contacts for gas, power etc in a new home and all the things you have to do, without a phone?

BT have not made it easy.

I type this now because I have discovered that my 3G dongle gets good reception if I go upstairs.

And in our new house - will we have BT???????????????

Well the top rated provider in Which this year for phone and Bb is Zen Internet. They seem excellent- there's a lad called Lee who's given me his number to call next Wednesday. He will have us on a landline within a couple of days and Broadband 6 working days later.

In the meantime if anyone wants Lee's number, drop me a PM.

As for BT?

They can take a long walk off Scrabster pier....

RecQuery
16-Dec-11, 22:35
I could complain for a long time about BT retelling story after story both as a customer and an employee, even their business and corporate sides are crap. Zen are good, so are AAISP and XILO. Vispa and Entanet are good choices also. You pay more for the service, but you actually get what they say you'll get and the support is better.

I used to worry that Zen would get worse as they got larger, glad to know that's not the case.

starfish
16-Dec-11, 22:52
i have had trouble with bt since i took out a contract every time a bill comes in its wrong roll on auguat when my comtract end and i can tell them where to go

Tilly Teckel
17-Dec-11, 01:36
At least BT took your word for it that you were moving! I rang them a year or so ago when I moved house to inform them of the date we were leaving and they confirmed that they would cancel the service. A few months ago I discovered that they've still been taking a monthly payment from my bank for the old address! When I told them, they said that if I hadn't informed them of the house move in writing then they weren't correctly informed. I managed to get three months charges refunded (out of 12!) only after a lengthy 'discussion' with them. I have moved house numerous times and never once informed BT in writing but, sure enough, their terms and conditions state that you should. They're nothing but egomaniacal crooks!

orkneycadian
17-Dec-11, 11:40
Are there still folk actually using BT for their phone service provision? :eek:

Phill
17-Dec-11, 13:08
I quite like BT, I really enjoy my little chats with 'Indian Bob'. I find them very entertaining, of no actual use whatsoever as neither of us can understand each other but entertaining non the less.

DeHaviLand
17-Dec-11, 13:12
They did almost the same to me when I last moved house John. I got the impression they were taking revenge to a certain degree.

John Little
17-Dec-11, 13:45
They did almost the same to me when I last moved house John. I got the impression they were taking revenge to a certain degree.

I had that thought too...

Wick Fix
20-Dec-11, 21:14
This is a disgusting way to treat customers.

I wish you every luck with your new provider.

lexie
21-Dec-11, 09:54
no complaints with BT, internet contract nearly up and after much searching .. can't get a better deal than what we have with BT !