PDA

View Full Version : The Versatility of Johnny Fats Sutherland : A Celebration

rob murray
16-Dec-11, 12:10
I felt compelled to start this thread as I read in the Courier the obituary brilliantly written / researched by Gordon Calder especially the bit, "Another musician, Don Foyle, who met John 30 years ago, recalled the great fun he had recording an album entitled On a Shoestring and touring around Scotland with “the great Bobby Murray and The Sutherland Blues Band”.

I well remember on a shoestring and have a copy and it was great to see my late father mentioned as Johnny recorded dads album "Tartan Special" which made the national press as the old man was 70 when this was recorded, they used to play at the Orkney Festival every year and as a duo for years, John playing just about every instrument imageable on the recording .Long after my dad past JOhn played his material and Im sure a lot of people will remember the epic "Scotlands Fighting Men". I have a copy of this tape as well. The Sutherland Blues band was again a great band. Johns passing made me realise the wide spread and diveristy of his music and the versatility needed to both write and perform his music. Personally I played with John in The Wild Geese ( late 982 early 1983 ) ie John, me, my brother David and JOhns nephew Billy Wares, going from playing pop rock songs to a reportiore of late 60's psychedia, long forgotten blues songs, johns own material, jazzy numbers, little feat etc was a massive jump, coupled by a good few kicks in the arse to get us focused. We recorded many hours of live takes which still exists. We had our ups and downs for sure but there is no denying the passion and talent he posessed.