PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone watch.....

angela5
27-Oct-06, 10:28
Did anyone watch GMTV this morning? I only caught part when they were discussing clock's going forward /back, they want to stop this altogether as road deaths is so high in the winter months due to darkness falling so early.
Does anyone know more about this??

brokencross
27-Oct-06, 10:31
There is this debate every single year by the road safety campaigners

saxovtr
27-Oct-06, 11:32
these people are crashing for a reason,sum people cant help if they crash because it sumtimes genuinely is somebody else's fault,but i have seen some bad standards of driving lately! im going to get it again on here but the fact is i can drive and i have never crashed even while learning i drove through inverness parked up etc neway,now they are blaming the time for crashes haha...NOTHING BETTER TO DO!!!!try geting rid of those stupid flashing speed cameras!

angela5
27-Oct-06, 11:37
That's very true saxovtr there is some people with a bad standard of driving.

I only heard part of the discussion where they were saying that there is more road traffic accidents and deaths in the winter months when darkness falls around rush hour.
Changing the way we adjust our clocks may improve slightly but we would then be facing darker mornings, us being in the highlands may have darker mornings until nearly midday.:confused

Whitewater
27-Oct-06, 12:12
Changing the clocks or not changing them will make no difference to bad driving. It is not the light of lack of it which is to blame. At this time of year and throughout the winter, road conditions change. We have water lying on them, frost, black ice, snow, hail, etc. Many drivers take no notice of the conditions and expect to be able to drive the same way as they have done during the summer months. It does not work, but unfortunately many don't realise that.

I have no feeling either way on whether the clocks change or not, but I always understood it was done to allow our children to go to and get home from school in the daylight. Safer for them as they are more easily seen by many of our "blind" drivers.

saxovtr
27-Oct-06, 12:34
the standards are actually quite bad,alot of road users are very ignorant to toher road users even pedestrians,the amount of times ive felt having a word with people is un imaginable,as for the idiot going through watten yesterday overtaking a bus was absolute shocking,im glad i was in my house and saw it and not walking on a path! whats with people taking up 2 parking spaces to prevent there car's getting damaged,half of them arent worth more than a few hundred quid anyway,whats the statistics on crashes?how many people crash and its other peoples faults?this discussion could go on for a while!!

angela5
27-Oct-06, 12:44
I have no feeling either way on whether the clocks change or not, but I always understood it was done to allow our children to go to and get home from school in the daylight. Safer for them as they are more easily seen by many of our "blind" drivers.

I'm happy for things to stay the way they are, light in the mornings and afternoons for the kids going to and from school. I feel there would be more accidents if our children were walking to school in the dark.

aileenmac
27-Oct-06, 13:17
I remember in th 60's they did not change the clock 1 year. All the children in Scotland were issued with fleurescant armbands to wear going to school in the morning, but there were too many kids being injured they went back to normal! We liked the armbands though!

krieve
27-Oct-06, 13:30
I also think they should leave things the way they are, us in the highlands would be in the dark till midday, not good for bairns going to school that would just be an accident waiting to happen having to walk to school in the dark.
I remember going on the bus to school in the winter it was dark when we left in the morning for the bus and it would be starting to get dark when we arrived home, i used to hate it.

Buttercup
27-Oct-06, 14:30
I remember in th 60's they did not change the clock 1 year. All the children in Scotland were issued with fleurescant armbands to wear going to school in the morning, but there were too many kids being injured they went back to normal! We liked the armbands though!

I remember that year too. We were in darkness for our mid-morning break at school. It was really depressing. :( The official version of why they want to change is to help prevent "accidents" but all it means is that these "accidents" will happen am rather than pm!