PDA

View Full Version : The 'Microsoft' scammer is at it again!

Beat Bug
14-Dec-11, 16:51
Hubby just had a phone call from a foreign sounding chap saying he's from Microsoft, and that he's here to help sort out the problem he has with his computer! Says the message he received had our phone number in it! Sent him packing with a flea in his ear. We need to be more vigilant at this time of year, especially if we happen to indulge in the amber nectar and are less likely to be on our toes!

Wick Fix
14-Dec-11, 20:21
Glad to hear you did not fall victim to this scam.

I have already had a customer who did fall victim to this. After remotely connecting to her computer they gave her computer a nasty virus which keeps shutting down the computer. These fraudsters then make you pay for their "antivirus" that fixes the problem. They wanted £88 from my customer and I have read on other forums that they constantly recharge credit cards or keep pestering people for further payments to keep the virus off the computer.

This is a complete scam. The callers have also identified themselves as being from BT, SKY and AOL.

Please make your friends aware so they are not duped too. I can fix things for anyone who has fallen victim to this scam. Please contact me asap.

Bazeye
14-Dec-11, 23:27
How come people still fall for these scams? How long have they been going on for now?

bluelady
14-Dec-11, 23:34
Had one try that here, he asked me to disable my security to fix a peoblem. When I told him my son can fix it as he has a diploma in computing and engineering he got nasty and told me I must do it immediately, I told him where to go,I said I may not ken much about comps but even I wouldnt disable my security for anyone. A few weeks later I got another one and this time I wasnt so polite :(

Wick Fix
15-Dec-11, 01:20
These scams are still in place because of technology. No matter how secure you think something is, there always has to be a backdoor to get in passed security. Why??? Safety reasons. If you have something made that is truly secure, what would you do if you lost control??? You need a way in to take back control.

Most of these unwanted calls be it a scam or a pestering call from a sales person ( such as PPI insurance etc) get your details from other companies who sell on your contact and address details. BT sell on information to other companies. This is why it is usually new customers to a phone or internet provider that get these calls.

The best way to combat these unwanted calls (yes, they will ring time and time again) is to register with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS)
This is completely FREE but does take around 28 days to have you placed on the register. It is well worth the 4 week wait!!!

Here is a link to it. http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html

Remember it is FREE to register.

I sincerely hope this helps.

lexie
15-Dec-11, 11:01
.. My number is registered ... TPS does not stop overseas calls ...simply just hang up.. or get caller display if it reads Unavailable... its cold calling!...again.. don't answer!!

burstbucker
15-Dec-11, 11:25
They are now also targeting mobile phone numbers with similar scams, how do they get hold of these numbers?

pat
15-Dec-11, 12:12
I get several of these calls every week (probably due to business listings), as stated they are now starting on mobiles - registered with TPS but I reckon a lot of the mobile nos are just random dialing, home phone nos it is simple enough to access records with name, telephone etc and chance they have a computer with internet access - I now just say nobody available who knows how to switch computer on or to work it, am too old and daft to work those weird new fangled things and set the phone down.
On my mobile I also get calls from other networks saying they could do a better deal - if they have my number others will have too.

RecQuery
15-Dec-11, 23:32
Can we sticky one of these threads. A new one seems to popup once a month.

donnick
16-Dec-11, 00:15
yeh i started a thread about this 2 weeks ago but mine was deleted as i used bad words :roll:at the caller ooops:lol:

poppett
16-Dec-11, 21:19
I had the microsoft scammer today. Told him I did not have any internet access as I was 103 and illiterate.

More annoying is a call which we have had a number of times (number with held of course) which no one comes on the line, then an automated voice says "goodbye" and left with dialling tone.

linnie612
21-Dec-11, 12:52
Yippee! I finally had one of these calls the other day - boy, was it fun![lol]