PDA

View Full Version : Micro Brewery Opportunity for Caithness

PCE Ltd
14-Dec-11, 13:45
PCE Ltd is a community enterprise that seeks to identify business and development opportunities that can make a meaningful contribution to the economy of Caithness and the North Highlands. Specifically we aim to tackle issues of unemployment, deprivation and exclusion in Caithness and North Sutherland through the reinvestment of profits. We hold The Social Enterprise Mark, which assures customers that PCE Ltd is motivated to trade for people and planet through socially and environmentally responsible means.

PCE Ltd is a subsidiary of Pentland Housing Association, and has been tasked with generating income to help fill the void left by public funding cuts. PCE Ltd is the incubator for all projects, and is thus tasked with carrying out market research, business proposals, networking, risk analysis, and financing.

At present PCE Ltd is researching a number of projects, one of which is a Caithness Micro Brewery at John O’Groats. Along with job creation, the aim of this project is to create a locally sourced real ale to help brand Caithness, create and maintain identity, and rejuvenate the John O’Groats landmark.

With the help of a government funded Graduate Intern, PCE Ltd are carrying out market research specifically on a Caithness Micro Brewery in order to determine information about demand in the local market, peoples ‘beer‘ preferences and the extent of local support. We are currently circulating a survey; the results of which will allow us to both demonstrate demand and support, but also to create a product in keeping with the preferences of Caithness and North Sutherland residents.

The survey takes two minutes to complete and your help with this research would be greatly appreciated.

Survey Link
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3CHMSZ5

More information can be found on Social Enterprise at http://www.socialenterprisescotland.org.uk/ and on PHA/PCE at www.pentlandhousing.co.uk (http://www.pentlandhousing.co.uk/) or http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pentland-Community-Enterprises-PCE-Ltd/206104802738817 (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pentland-Community-Enterprises-PCE-Ltd/206104802738817)

Dialyser
14-Dec-11, 18:37
A great idea, I wish you every success with it.

Rheghead
14-Dec-11, 18:53
Good luck! Looking forward to sampling your product.

ss.sv650
15-Dec-11, 01:53
great idea long been a supporter of ales on here bring it on !!

orkneycadian
15-Dec-11, 19:06
Given that it was previously reported on here that there isn't even a home brew shop in Caithness, it would appear that all the interest must lie with Tennants, Becks and co!

Kenn
15-Dec-11, 22:41
Great idea especially as the real ale that used to be produced in the county is no longer available.

dozy
16-Dec-11, 10:08
Great idea especially as the real ale that used to be produced in the county is no longer available.

Please explain ,what ale and when ? thanks

Aestus57
16-Dec-11, 16:14
Great Idea, there's not much choice in "real ale" in Caithness. Pubs/Hotels would also need to be educated in good cellar management to maintain and serve it at its best.

Hope it takes off, I would certainly support it.

achingale
18-Dec-11, 19:00
I make my own beer and wine, and occasionally cider so I am already a micro-brewery :lol:

rich62_uk
18-Dec-11, 19:07
Did you know Achingale that Tesco in Wick are now doing all the equipment you need for home brewing and wine making plus all the kit including shots ! Supping mild at the moment lol at 20p a pint. Merry Christmas ! :)

Camra
18-Dec-11, 20:12
Definitely a market for it here. There are some great real ales coming over from Orkney, Scapa and Island Hopping are excellent to name just two. Quite a few pubs are selling real ale now, thank heavens, it just needs a little effort & TLC as opposed to the normal massed produced bilge.

dozy
18-Dec-11, 20:39
Definitely a market for it here. There are some great real ales coming over from Orkney, Scapa and Island Hopping are excellent to name just two. Quite a few pubs are selling real ale now, thank heavens, it just needs a little effort & TLC as opposed to the normal massed produced bilge.

Would you buy shares in it, if they were available ?

orkneycadian
18-Dec-11, 22:02
Did you know Achingale that Tesco in Wick are now doing all the equipment you need for home brewing and wine making plus all the kit including shots !

Do they? What kinds of hops do they stock?

theone
19-Dec-11, 01:44
Do they? What kinds of hops do they stock?

Ready made wort in kit form.

Suprisingly good results can be achieved by the novice.

Hic.....

orkneycadian
19-Dec-11, 21:09
Wort, no hops? [lol]

Suspected as much. To home brewing what microwave meals are to cooking!

northener
29-Dec-11, 20:01
Just coming out of 'retirement' after someone told me about this thread.

By coincidence, I was talking about opportunities in Caithness and where we live now for a microbrewery and I maintained that it was definitely a viable proposition in Caithness.

I did a lot of in-depth research into establishing a small brewery in JOG in 2003-5 (including a commercial brewing course). It is certainly not a silly proposition. Unfortunately as far as I was concerned the initial investment was too much in the long run for us.

Getting the right balance of product/key sales will be the key to any breweries success in areas like Caithness. Cask only will struggle.

Whoever it is, I sincerely wish them well if they go ahead.....and if the person who wishes to start up this venture is who I think it is: I hope our conversations regarding this in the KPH taxi got you thinking about this project seriously and spur you on;)

PM me if you want to pick my brains.......

BTW: Orcadian, extract brews have come a long way since the bad old days, but AG will always beat them. The modern 3kg extract kits are pretty good. I'm sat here with a pint of Brupaks 'Colne Valley' kit bitter typing this.

Phill
30-Dec-11, 00:03
'ere we go! One sniff of beer an' northener's back!!

Brew Master
30-Dec-11, 16:14
I heard that a Micro Brewery was already being planned/started somewhere near Thurso?? Maybe it's the same people??

Kevin Milkins
30-Dec-11, 17:55
I enjoy a pint of real ale, but it seems only Wetherspoons stock it on a regular basis and the IPA is often good.
:Razz

There used to be a guy at the Melvich Hotel that had a micro brewery and he used to sell it online by the box. I tried a box once and it was good stuff, it worked the same way as a wine box carton. (I think)

Good to see you posting again northener.

fraz
30-Dec-11, 18:19
There is a brewery in Reay called the far north brewery.Having just checked production has temporarily been halted due to unforseen circumstances:-)