PDA

View Full Version : Royal Mail Delivered (eventually!)

Tiger Jones
26-Oct-06, 23:32
The next time you grumble about a postal item being a couple of days late, think of this story seen in the news this week...

"Staff at a Dundee community centre received a surprise Christmas card - 33 years late. Pam Hume found the yellowed envelope, with a 3p stamp and a Kilmarnock postmark, dated December 20, 1973, and is trying to track down its intended recipient, a Mr Robert Stevenson, who may have worked at the Kirkton Community Centre and Library."

Piglet
26-Oct-06, 23:46
Thats a long time to wait for a christmas card. :Razz

grantyg
26-Oct-06, 23:49
Do not start me on that bunch of muppets--------------

I sold a competition sport kite on ebay that cost under £5 to post to me from the netherlands.
Got £60 charged the guy £10 P&P thought that would cover postage to italy..............
The blinking light weight tube came back to me on sat - no reason so I told the guy to find out why and send it as it needed to be in italy ASAP
Then tuesday I get a slip in the door - Go to the PO and get Fined £25 to cover carriage costs. as the parcel was sent wrongly because it was 15 cm over the size limit.
My option repost with a cost of £46 pounds - so I came home and rang PO and parcel force and the cheapest option was £23 so I had to take that I just hope it arrives!!!! mid you I did ensure it was insured to the hilt so I will claim as much as poss.

Kingetter
27-Oct-06, 00:32
The next time you grumble about a postal item being a couple of days late, think of this story seen in the news this week...

"Staff at a Dundee community centre received a surprise Christmas card - 33 years late. Pam Hume found the yellowed envelope, with a 3p stamp and a Kilmarnock postmark, dated December 20, 1973, and is trying to track down its intended recipient, a Mr Robert Stevenson, who may have worked at the Kirkton Community Centre and Library."

Was it 3p or 3d? I bet someone thought they were posting early for Christmas but didn't specify which.

Tiger Jones
27-Oct-06, 00:45
Was it 3p or 3d? I bet someone thought they were posting early for Christmas but didn't specify which.Three New Pence, sir.

http://www.gbstamps.co.uk/uploads/stamps/X855.jpg

You can pick up a second-hand one for 10p. Plus £4.50 P&P.

I hope you're patient - they can't guarantee delivery before 3012.

Kingetter
27-Oct-06, 00:51
I forgot that decimal currency was in by that time.

Tiger Jones
27-Oct-06, 00:56
I forgot that decimal currency was in by that time.I always see decimalisation as a huge con - all the prices were rounded up when changing from British money to 'continental' [disgust]

And another thing - I'd only just got the hang of there being 240 pennies to the pound when they changed the goalposts! :lol:

Kingetter
27-Oct-06, 01:06
I always see decimalisation as a huge con - all the prices were rounded up when changing from British money to 'continental' [disgust]

And another thing - I'd only just got the hang of there being 240 pennies to the pound when they changed the goalposts! :lol:

Think that was tough? I had to convert to £ S D from groats and pieces of eight!

Kaishowing
27-Oct-06, 06:44
Thought the postie did well yesterday!! Even during the driving rain he delivered.......granted the envelope was so sodden from the rain that the folds had disintegrated so it was about as much use as two sheets of toilet paper.....but it's at times like these that you appeciate the effort.

Mind you.....I sent something to Singapore a few years ago...was 5p shy of the full cost, so they sent the parcel back....and into the bargain I got hammered for duty for my own items! Thought that was a bit much!!
Still...we live and learn!! I never estimate postage now. Always send it direct from the post office....just in case!:lol: