PDA

View Full Version : A not so lovely walk to school

Daisy
13-Dec-11, 12:05
Yesterday walking my children to school - two 6 year olds and a three year old - down by the boating, when all of a sudden a liver coloured dog comes bounding at the two the girls!! Both got a huge fright one stood still the other ran back ( all of two steps) to me. Both latched on to my leg and my three year old in my arms whilst the dog continues to run around them sniffing and standing on its hind legs.
Now that is when you would think the owner would come and get her dog - but NO. She continues walking away from us with her other two dogs shouting for the one harassing MY children. After 3 or 4 mins the dog finally listens and leaves.
I have spoken to the dog warden regarding the rules on this and you can let your dog off the lead as long as it is under control - which this dog clearly wasnt. If it happens again I can make a complaint and I will.
My children have grown up in a house will animals and that includes our dog. The last thing I want is my children being afraid of dogs because people cant control their animals.
Anyway rant over, I just ask that if you are walking your dogs on a busy school route whilst there are children keep your dog on a lead!

Ajax
13-Dec-11, 12:39
just read your post,and i think it is terrible,i would say the owner has no manners,i would off asked her to get your dog on a lead as it is scaring the kids.just ignoring you is down right rude ,

theone
13-Dec-11, 12:48
Unfortunately this is a regular thing around the river/boating pond in Thurso.

Many dog owners seem to feel they have free license to let the dog of the lead and run free, jumping on passers by etc.

"He's only playing" is the quote that really winds me up.

I doubt it would do any good but a phonecall to the dog warden might help if this is a known "problem" dog owner.

Blondie
13-Dec-11, 12:50
Ignorance thats what it is. Sadly there seems to be a lot of dog owners on the go like that. My dog gets off his lead when its safe and theres no one around. As soon as we see someone coming with or without a dog, he goes straight on his lead. He's a happy little man with the sweetest nature but he tends to want to greet everyone. I have phoned the dog warden in the past about a problem dog with a problem owner. She did a great job but the dog owner only paid heed for a couple of weeks. Meant we had to change our walking route and walking routine to avoid them and my kids no longer felt able to take our dog for a walk. Sad but true.
Dont hesitate to make a complaint. Its the right thing to do.

stekar
13-Dec-11, 15:23
Years ago when the kids were about 4 and 2, we'd just moved to a new house and hadn't got a gate put up yet. The neighbour had three very large dogs that were off the leash as he was returning from taking them for a walk. They ran down a shared passage way and straight into our garden where we and the kids were. This terrified the kids, and to this day, over ten years later they are still terrified of dogs.

Daisy
13-Dec-11, 16:32
I did phone the dog warden, unfortunately because I didnt know her name or where she lives there isnt alot that can be done. Will have my camera ready next time tho.
If she had been any closer to me I would of had a word but didnt want to chase her with the kids with me, maybe not the best example to them. She managed to create quite a distance between us when she was shouting for her dog.
I just hope she reads this and thinks twice. Surely nobody wants to be responsible for scaring three young children.

sids
13-Dec-11, 18:57
She was wrong to let such a wild dog loose, but the walking away might have been the right thing to do to get it to come away from your kids.

Spongeboab
13-Dec-11, 19:08
"He's only playing" is the quote that really winds me up.

i've heard this before as well, but a lot of dog owners forget that their dog is the equivalent size of a cow to a little kid !

unicorn
13-Dec-11, 19:09
If the dog does not answer it should be on the lead, simple.
As an owner of 3 dogs I as much as possible try to keep them under complete control, they do not meet people or other dogs unless on the lead, but it really gets my goat how many people walk along letting their dogs run riot and don't even have the manners to apologise, one of my dogs was dragged whilst on the lead on a larger dogs back when it went under her stomach and the owners just kept walking, I honestly could not say a thing as I was that mad that it would not have been productive for me to open my mouth.
Recently on the beach my smallest dog was in the water minding her own business when 3 dogs shot along the beach and surrounded her in the water, she was yelping and scared and I had to shout at the 3 owners to call their dogs off, they were just walking way up the beach not giving a toss, my dog now freaks when another dog approaches her.
I genuinely cannot understand where all these thoroughly thoughtless people come from.
I have met some wonderful people with dogs but there is a growing minority who should not even have a stuffed dog.

Daisy
13-Dec-11, 19:12
I have met some wonderful people with dogs but there is a growing minority who should not even have a stuffed dog.

Very well said!!

mi16
13-Dec-11, 22:02
If it had been my kid the dog was upsetting I would have delivered a swift boot in its face, followed by another and another until it a) ran away or b) ceased to move.

Corrie 3
13-Dec-11, 22:52
If it had been my kid the dog was upsetting I would have delivered a swift boot in its face, followed by another and another until it a) ran away or b) ceased to move.
So you would kill an innocent dog who has done nothing wrong mi6? Why don't you Man-up and go and kick the person who has not trained the dog?...spineless or what?
Shame on you!!!

C3...............:roll:[disgust]

mi16
13-Dec-11, 23:01
So you would kill an innocent dog who has done nothing wrong mi6? Why don't you Man-up and go and kick the person who has not trained the dog?...spineless or what?
Shame on you!!!

C3...............:roll:[disgust]

I never said anything about killing an innocent dog, I would kill a dog that was guilty of upsetting my child though, without even a shred of remorse.
A lot of good kicking the owner would do when their dog was worrying my kids.
If it is on the lead then fair enough, if it is loose then as far as I am concerned I expect the worse and it is a wild stray.
How do you know who the owner is if it is untethered?

orkneycadian
13-Dec-11, 23:55
Simply define your bairns as livestock, then next time, shoot the dog for worrying livestock!

mi16
14-Dec-11, 00:09
i doubt if the powers that be would be too happy with you for patrolling the boating pond with a shotgun.
You would be mistaken for Raul Moat

ywindythesecond
14-Dec-11, 00:15

I have read your post and the posts following yours and I agree 100% that the problem (dog) has to be dealt with immediately, but the cause (owner) is the root of the problem and needs to be sorted.

mi16
14-Dec-11, 08:15
I have read your post and the posts following yours and I agree 100% that the problem (dog) has to be dealt with immediately, but the cause (owner) is the root of the problem and needs to be sorted.

Indeed the owner is the root cause of the issue, I totally agree that if a dog is properly trained and disciplined then we shouldnt have these issues but training a dog is hard work at times and the chavs of today cant be bothered with hard work can they.

They would probably think twice about letting the dog off a lead again after it has had a kicking.

Errogie
14-Dec-11, 10:37
This is a big topic and we haven't even got down to dog dirt yet. It's hard to know how to get the message across to a dog owner firmly but without causing too much offence. I used to have to visit a lot of estates and farms and sometimes the resident dog would jump up to greet you. I found the best way to unobtrusively discourage this behaviour was to stand on one of its back feet or alternatively bring a knee up into its unprotected stomach.

But I had no defence one winter's night running the pavement along an unlit road. A car came towards me with undipped headlights and the next moment a large alsatian hit me full on, it's owner had been exercising it from inside his car! Bring back dog licenses.

Dadie
14-Dec-11, 15:01
I had a fun experience walking to nursery with Euan in the buggy and Iona walking beside me.
A dog came out of goodness knows where and the first I knew about it was a cold nose sniffing my bum.
A car driver thought it was my dog and didnt realise it was off the lead and as the dog was skittish it was nearly knocked down, and another car had to stop as the dog was dancing over the road.....the dog had escaped from its garden and was rounded up by its owners, but, it was lucky.
In the summer time a brown lab wandering on its own made me make a detour to nursery taking the long way round as its demeanour was quite threatening...head down and growling ....I did not want to take the kids past him, nor was I going to stupid enough to get close enough to read his dogtag!
So its not just a town thing....and there is the dog muck probs here too!

Blondie
14-Dec-11, 15:08
I'm not sure what the answer is to dog fouling. If people are ignorant enough to not pick up then how do you get them to suddenly start picking it up, other than them being fined for it. The dog warden can't be everywhere though to catch them in the act.
I saw this guy letting his dog foul in dempster street once so I phoned the council, gave his details and they just simply said they would get someone to clean it up.

sids
14-Dec-11, 19:21
I the first I knew about it was a cold nose sniffing my bum.!

Spoken like a true Scotsman.

Dadie
16-Dec-11, 00:47
Not many men wearing leggings and high heeled boots pushing an orange buggy in Watten....im female!
Didnt quite think of a polite way of saying what the dog was doing...and that sounded the least offensive!:lol:

theone
16-Dec-11, 00:50
Not many men wearing leggings and high heeled boots pushing an orange buggy in Watten....

True, but there's a few in Halkirk....................

Koi
16-Dec-11, 00:55
this thread reminded me of the other day when i had to perfom an emergency stop to avois hitting a dog that ran out on the road suddenly!! Was loose and ran through some gardens with my passenger and myself a bit speechless for a second. I saw it trotting onlong on the pavement and wasn't going very fast as wasn't sure what it would do. thankfully i did take caution as wouldn't have liked to have hurt or killed the dog. But i was angry that it was loose and there was no one around.

Dadie
16-Dec-11, 01:09
Try painting the inside of a car greenish (willow green silk to be exact) slamming on the brakes for loose a dog..and the air blue....
been there done that!
Had to have physio on my shoulder afterwards too...but if that dog dares run out on me again....I aint stopping or at least looking in my rear mirror brfore putting the brakes on!
It caused major damage to me and the car the owner knows nothing about....and probably cares even less about!

Koi
16-Dec-11, 17:18
Try painting the inside of a car greenish (willow green silk to be exact) slamming on the brakes for loose a dog..and the air blue....
been there done that!
Had to have physio on my shoulder afterwards too...but if that dog dares run out on me again....I aint stopping or at least looking in my rear mirror brfore putting the brakes on!
It caused major damage to me and the car the owner knows nothing about....and probably cares even less about!

It was actually your tale about the paint instant that made me more aware of what is in my car boot. Presently only the booster seat for my friend's daughter and my son's buggy stays in there. My partner wanted all sorts in there untill i pointed out what would happen in an accident or in an emergency stop and he took it out lol. The boot stays fairly empty.

It wasn't really the dog that was the problem in my case as i did say i slowed down and was very causious as wasn't sure what the dog was going to do. The problem is that it was loose and no owner in sight!