PDA

View Full Version : Merchant Navy 1950-1957

doyle
26-Oct-06, 12:35
Does anyone reading this have any connection with the MN during this time? I am trying to find out more about my fathers 7 years at sea as an Engineer. I know he travelled the world and visited many places. The ships he was on were the MV Trelyon 1950-1951, MV Trelawny 1952, MV Treloske 1953, MV Trevelyan 1953, MV Tresillion 1953, MV Trevaylor 1953 (they were all owned by Hain Shipping). MV Tronda 1954 (owned by Christian Salvesen of Leith). MV Dundee 1954-1955 (owned by Dundee, Perth & London Shipping). RT Turmoil 1956-1957(dont know what shipping line owned it). MV Eskwood 1957 & MV Lochwood 1957 (both owned by Constantine Shipping). Any information would be really appreciated

golach
26-Oct-06, 15:43
I too joined the MN in Nov 1956, I di not sail on any of you fathers ships, but I did sail on the new version of the MV Dundee owned by the Dundee Perth and London Shipping Coy. ( DP&L ) built circa 1957 at Burntisland, especially for work on the Great Lakes, I joined the MV Dundee March 1958 and spent the next best 10 months of my life up the Lakes, ahh memories :lol:

doyle
26-Oct-06, 23:19
Hi golach! Ye olde ship mate! My dad was on this ships maiden voyage. He left Burntisland on 14 April 1954 for Canada to tour the Great Lakes for 2 years, but there were so many teething troubles with it they came back to Burntisland on 11 Jan 1955, after only 9 months away. I only know this from what mum has told me and his book. He had relations in Canada at that time and I have photos of him that he sent to mum from Canada with "Fitzroy Harbour May '54" written on the back. I find this all so fascinating! I am finding out more about him now than I knew when he was alive. Its like trying to fit pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together. It would have been easier if I had asked him all these questions when he was still alive. His years at sea were before I was born. I have come across his "Certificates of Discharge Book" which I find interesting and is helping me put the pieces together. The "Description of Voyage" column is very vague. On this trip it says Fgn 8.29. Dont know what the numbers mean. Some say HT - does that mean Home Towage? Some say Fgn RA - dont know what the letters stand for. I have photos of some of the ships he was on, but not of the MV Dundee. You wouldn't happen to have one that you would share with me do you? I'd be ever so grateful (grovel)

golach
27-Oct-06, 09:41
Its a small world eh?
Firstly the MV Dundee was the worst desgned ship ever, on her first voayge they found out she was too big for the smallest lock in the St Lawrence system. and she was top heavy, they had to cut off her bulwarks ( her metal sides) and replace by chains (very dodgy in heavy weather), still top heavy so 100 tons on concrete ballast was put in her bilges. 6 feet was cut from her bow so instead of having a bow shaped like > she ended up with this ].
she still had problems in a stern wind, her diesel fumes from her funnel went straight in to her wheelhouse, so a aluminium top hat was fitted to her funnel and from then on she was more seaworthy. Going to Canada in '58 took us 25 days because of the bad weather, coming home in Dec. only 10 days.
Descriptions of Voyage are as follows
Fgn = Foreign means you had signed up to sailing foreign waters between the Latitudes of 70 degrees North and 70 degrees South.
Fgn RA = Foreign Running agreement , this meant you were sailing in foreign waters but returning to British waters on a regular basis.
HT = Home Trade, this was sailing on the British coast.

I did have a company photo of the MV Dundee which I gave to my Mother, but my little siblings destroyed it at some time or another.
I did two trips on the MV Dundee,the Skipper was George Wood a great Skipper I was Cabin Boy on the first trip to Canada and then I sailed as Assistant Steward on my next voyage to the Caribbean not such a good trip, I was striken down with Jandice and had to spend a lot of the trip in isolation
and missed all the good runs ashore.
Hope this helps,as I type this I have my Discharge Book in front of me......Ahhh the memories :lol:

Hi golach! Ye olde ship mate! My dad was on this ships maiden voyage. He left Burntisland on 14 April 1954 for Canada to tour the Great Lakes for 2 years, but there were so many teething troubles with it they came back to Burntisland on 11 Jan 1955, after only 9 months away. I only know this from what mum has told me and his book. He had relations in Canada at that time and I have photos of him that he sent to mum from Canada with "Fitzroy Harbour May '54" written on the back. I find this all so fascinating! I am finding out more about him now than I knew when he was alive. Its like trying to fit pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together. It would have been easier if I had asked him all these questions when he was still alive. His years at sea were before I was born. I have come across his "Certificates of Discharge Book" which I find interesting and is helping me put the pieces together. The "Description of Voyage" column is very vague. On this trip it says Fgn 8.29. Dont know what the numbers mean. Some say HT - does that mean Home Towage? Some say Fgn RA - dont know what the letters stand for. I have photos of some of the ships he was on, but not of the MV Dundee. You wouldn't happen to have one that you would share with me do you? I'd be ever so grateful (grovel)

doyle
27-Oct-06, 12:27
Thanks for that Golach, very much appreciated! I am really enjoying researching his time in MN. I'm sure i'll find someone yet that has sailed with him on his many trips.