PDA

View Full Version : Paraffin

Dman
09-Dec-11, 20:13
Hi all, does anyone know where you can buy paraffin for lamps and heaters in Wick or Thurso.

TheGregp81
09-Dec-11, 20:52
I got some from homebase.

DIH
09-Dec-11, 20:53
You can get it from the ironmongers in Thurso.

Headwark
09-Dec-11, 20:57
Castletown Garage,

chaz
09-Dec-11, 22:05
i got mine from ironmongers in wick :) Birons i think its called.

gollach
09-Dec-11, 22:37
You can get 5 litre plastic bottles of it in Serendipity, near the door at the Co-op car park end of the shop.

orkneycadian
09-Dec-11, 23:39
Using pink paraffin in heaters as suggested above? :eek: Wow, you Wickers must literally have money to burn!

Just take some normal kerosene out of the oil tank! Whats heaters are meant to run on, and tilleys work fine on it too!

sids
10-Dec-11, 12:23
Using pink paraffin in heaters as suggested above? :eek: Wow, you Wickers must literally have money to burn!

Just take some normal kerosene out of the oil tank! Whats heaters are meant to run on, and tilleys work fine on it too!

You're not wrong- the price of paraffin in gallon containers is up to about a tenner!

orkneycadian
10-Dec-11, 12:59
Best off you get down to Simpsons with your 45 gallon drum then! If you don't use it all yourself, you could make a tidy earner selling it at your gate for £9 a gallon!

sids
10-Dec-11, 13:27
Best off you get down to Simpsons with your 45 gallon drum then! If you don't use it all yourself, you could make a tidy earner selling it at your gate for £9 a gallon!

I only have a Tilley "Tall Table Lamp" and a double burner, for power cuts and whenever we feel like having oil lighting. For those and various motorbike engine cleaning needs, it is probably worth investing in 200 litres.