PDA

View Full Version : Re: Caithness Council on Alcohol

dpw39
26-Oct-06, 12:25
On Line Petition.
Caithness Council on Alcohol:

Further to the article in the Caithness Courier of 25th October (page 5) “Warning over alcohol service”.

I would like to setup a petition to re-instate the Caithness Council on Alcohol , and to get increased funding and get more support from the two parties who have withdrawn the funding involved to increase support the Caithness Council on Alcohol, due to Highland Council and NHS Highland’s decision to withdraw funding for this project.

Over the last few years, in the local press and media, it has been highlighted that there is an “alcohol problem” in rural communities in the Highland region. Even Scottish Executive has highlighted these issues with local TV advertisements. As pointed out in the courier, the Far North, like many other areas in Scotland, is experiencing a rise in alcohol related crime. It is also well known, that most people will turn to alcohol when in a crisis in their live. Unfortunately, alcohol is a depressant, and it will in most cases exacerbate the problems and could lead to addiction in certain circumstances.

The message sent out by NHS Highland and Highland Council, confirms that they are paying “lip-service” to initiatives that are being set-up to help people who have problems with alcohol.

Passing the service over to an under-funded and over-stretched Community mental Health Nursing Service, is pure madness (no pun intended). One in four of us will experience some form of mental ill health in our lives. The NHS has seen some drastic changes since I worked in the system, and we have become a state whereby, there are more private medical insurance cases, and it would seem that the government, local and national has a hidden agenda to eradicate community services such as NHS hospitals, NHS dentist’s etc.

We have all contributed to the service over the years and due to mis-management and “too many Chiefs and not enough Indian’s” locally and nationally do we find ourselves in this terrible state of affairs.

Certain sources have stated that even senior members of the Community Mental Health Team, are leaving and other senior members are considering seeking other employment areas because of certain issues especially in the Highlands. I was informed quite recently from a source within Beachwood Highland that they offered to take over the services of the alcohol project but where refused by the powers that be. What type of message does this send out to sufferer’s of alcohol addiction and places an over-stretched community mental health service to experience serious problems. They themselves (C.M.H.T. members) are in no position to complain as their jobs are at risk and they would leave themselves open to disciplinary action as well as possible dismissal due to highlighting issues of concern within the service.

I have been informed that the C.M.H.T. have a strict criteria when assessing prospective clients with regards to alcohol issues, and a lot of people would not fall into their criteria therefore allowing them to slip farther down into their addiction, and also as I highlighted in the courier, the stigma of seeing a CPN (Community Psychiatric Nurse) for an alcohol problem, would either stop the prospective client seeing the team, as well as placing more pressure on the services for people of mental ill health.

When we can afford to pay our community councillors £20k per annum, but on the other hand withdraw £8,000 funding for what is seen as a worthwhile and needed service locally, beggar’s belief.

Whoever is responsible for decisions of this nature at Highland Council and NHS Highland should have disciplinary action taken against them for gross mis-management of resources for the good of the community. We need to be more caring in our communities, and to get away from this so-called “cost effective” service that is trying to be put into place regarding others less fortunate than ourselves. One day, it may be us who are in that position that requires the support and help that should be in place as a basic human right.

Since being founded, the NHS has been envied by many counties round the world and has been a flag-ship which highlights the good for the community and society as a whole. Now it just epitomises all that is wrong with the running of the service and places excellent staff to either suffer from stress and bad working conditions when at the end of the day they are of a caring nature and believe in the NHS principle – free health for all.

Vote on-line here at Caithness.org or contact Highland Council/NHS Highland direct and let your views known by strongly expressing your views and concerns over this very important issue, let Caithness be heard.

Chief Executive Officer Highland Council:
Arthur McCourt
Glenurquhart Road, Inverness, IV3 5NX
Tel: 01463 702838 Fax: 01463 702830
Email chief.executive@highland.gov.uk

Chief Executive Officer NHS Highland:
Dr Roger Gibbons
Assynt House,
Beechwood Park,
Inverness, IV2 3HG.
01463 717123 or 01463 704838
Roger.gibbons@hhb.scot.nhs.uk

Ciao,

Dpw39

gleeber
26-Oct-06, 14:33
Hi Dpw39. Whilst I dont want to steal any of your thunder in this matter there are a few points relavant to my own position that would need to be clarified before I could vote on this very important subject.
I have followed the dialogue in the press and in here since the cuts were announced and I was under the impression that some inner workings of the local council on alcohol was the difficulty. Can you enlighten me on that?
I would agree that anything that helps a problem drinker retain their position in life without the need to turn to alcohol is a good thing. However alcohol addiction or for that matter problem drinking is a cunning and baffling ailment. Even the worlds top experts would disagree on the fine tuning needed to help someone with an alcohol problem. From my own inadequate research I have discovered that the most successful method of recovering from alcohol addiction is abstention. This is the method used in conjunction with the 12 steps of recovery of Alcoholics Anonymous. Apparently the council on alcohol relies heavily on the idea that problem drinkers can be taught to drink normally.
My own prejudices would say that its downright irresponsible to suggest to anyone suffering from a drink problem that they will be able to drink normally, especially as that person has probably spent the past few years trying to do just that.
For that reason I reserve my judgements unless you can come up with a better argument than the one you have been offering to the press and caithness.org for the past few weeks.

cuddlepop
26-Oct-06, 14:43
I agree with everything Gleeber has said.
Alcoholism is a long term Condition that cannot be controlled unless totally restaint is practiced This is as far as I'm aware the thinking of the AA and them alone.
Our own Cpn's believe you can be taught and I have yet to see it work.:~(

dpw39
26-Oct-06, 16:11
Hi Gleber,

I have sent you a pm on this issue.

Ciao,

dpw39 :cool:

gleeber
26-Oct-06, 17:00
I think, when I consider my earlier post, I didnt pay enough attention to Dpws position. All I did was offer an opinion on something he holds close to his heart. And the world will be a better place for it too. :)
I'm not an expert but from an ordinary Joe Bloggs position I think there's something unfair about just about everyhing. It's good that Dpw highlights the problems at the sharp end of the mental health industry, however I have an opinion on it too. Now that I read it again I can see my prejudices clearly lol.
My first thoughts when i read about the cuts were ones of shock, but on paying more attention I began to see it from a different angle.
To be honest I am very surprised that it cost so little to run the council on alcohol. They did a lot of work and the training must have cost a few bob too.
I read that Jamie Stone is on the case so I suspect no rock will be left unturned.

martin macdonald
26-Oct-06, 17:54
i do hope that the caithness council on alcohol get reinstated and with more funding. it is true that alcoholics cant return to social drinking therfore a.a are doing a great work in the community. but many problem drinkers are not alcoholics and the council on alcohol is a help to these folkes who can still return to social drinking. and a great help to the underage problem drinkers.
i have said it before that wick had the worst alcohol problem in britain per head of population. so any form of help would be great:D

Scunner
01-Nov-06, 16:10
Very interesting reading - Some info on the CCA for anyone who is interested. The CCA was formed under the watchful eye of the Manpower Services Commission (MSC) in the late 80's and was then run by Community Programmes, and was administered by the then 'wonderful' Caithness District Council, and worked under the rules of the Scottish Council on Alcohol. Now known under a differernt name. It was a mainly counsellling service, and had totally different views from the AA.

I could go on about its pros and cons, but that would prove lengthy. However I think that there is more to the closure than meets the eye.(my opinion) and with the resignation of Councillor Green, who has been a stalwart of the CCA from its infancy, I fear for its future.

Whitewater
01-Nov-06, 17:19
I don't know if you can bring problem drinkers back to what is termed "Social Drinking". Over the years, I have known a few alcoholics, one who has sadly passed on was a very dear friend. I remember one evening we were both at a gathering, where we each would have to make a speach. I was enjoying a dram, he was drinking lemonade, he said "it's OK for you to get a bit of dutch courage but I must never touch a drop again". He was cold turkey for more years than I care to remember, it took an awful lot of willpower and courage to maintain that. After I thought about what he had said he soared in my admiration for him, what tremendous guts and courage he displayed throughout his life.

The Caithness Council for Alcohol must be reinstated to continue helping people like my late friend, and many others who are in dire need of help for their illness.

Gogglebox
01-Nov-06, 23:14
Surely this service should be ramped up in this era where underage drinking is such a problem throughout the County and Country

Education could always save rehabilitation