PDA

View Full Version : RIP - John Sutherland (J Fats)

Deemac
09-Dec-11, 10:42
My sincere condolences to all of John's family and friends. A great loss to the Caithness music scene.

unicorn
09-Dec-11, 10:44
His family have my deepest sympathies, RIP.

Saveman
09-Dec-11, 12:07
I hadn't heard!!! No way!! STUNNED

Gleber2 you will be missed.

secrets in symmetry
09-Dec-11, 12:38
I am shocked to hear this news. Condolences to all John's family and friends.

Johnny Fats may be gone, but he will never be forgotten, thanks to his prodigious talent and his unforgettable music.

clash67
09-Dec-11, 12:44
My heart goes out to Johnny's family, I have had the privilage of playing alongside him many times as have many here, it saddens me to think those days are now gone.
It is a VERY sad loss, RIP Johnny.

crashbandicoot1979
09-Dec-11, 13:47
Heard the news this morning and hoped it was a vicious rumour but sadly it's true. Condolences to Johnny's friends and family, he was an amazing musician and a real gentleman who will be missed by many.

Phoebus_Apollo
09-Dec-11, 14:24
RIP John - condolences to the family.

teenybash
09-Dec-11, 16:48
Deeply shocked and saddened at the death of a legend, Johnny Fats (Sutherland) Our loss and Heavens gain. Heartfelt sympathies to family. RIP Fats. xx

crazy kaos
09-Dec-11, 16:59
rip man,,see ya on the other side bud

fred
09-Dec-11, 20:56
The end of an era.

Old School Rocker
09-Dec-11, 21:33
So sorry to hear the sad news on the radio last night that Johnny had passed away. I know he will be greatly missed. My deepest sympathies to his friends and family. I knew of him as a legend in the local music scene for many years. Rest in peace, Johnny.

Thank you Deemac for giving us this opportunity to leave our condolences (previous posts were deleted by Moderator due to us not being family).

Bassline
09-Dec-11, 21:38
Agreed, the end of an era, a sad day for the Caithness music scene. Johnny facilitated countless budding musos of several generations (myself included) to get started. I was the one who persuaded him to leave his "steady" job at Dounreay to form a trio with myself and Billy Allardyce. The rest is history and I just hope he wrote it down!!! Just a couple of years ago (after a gap of around 35 years) we renewed our musical friendship and I was looking forward to doing it regularly, but that won't now happen. RIP John, one of a kind.

rob murray
10-Dec-11, 14:19
RIP John, your guitar gently weeps

Rockulus
10-Dec-11, 15:24
Rest In Peace. The world is a lesser place without you.

roadbowler
10-Dec-11, 16:29
R.I.P. Johnny.

Bruce
10-Dec-11, 20:06
caithness will not be the same withoot you jon

RIP wee man

bruce

Margaret M.
11-Dec-11, 06:14
My deepest sympathy to his family. R.I.P. John.

David Banks
12-Dec-11, 00:29
My sympathies go to his family and friends and fans.

My thanks go to caithness-dot-org for sharing the news.

shazzap
12-Dec-11, 00:32
Rip...........

tjc
12-Dec-11, 13:02
Was totally stunned to hear of the passing of the one and only J Fats... you were a good friend to me and many others Johnny, I`ll miss you and can`t believe I`ll never hear you make those guitars sing again.

Thoughts are with all the family and his many friends...

Rock on Johnny Fats!

Tinkerbell09
12-Dec-11, 14:38
This came as such a shock to everyone. My thoughts are with all his friends and family.
Rest in Peace Johnny Fats, you will be forever remembered.

Music is the medicine of the breaking heart.

Tinkerbell x

slinky
12-Dec-11, 17:40
rip john ...............

Moira
12-Dec-11, 22:40
A great, leading light in the world of music is gone. As with all greats John left us much too soon.

Go play that great Guitar in the Sky, my friend, you will be missed, immensely.

Deemac
13-Dec-11, 09:13
Johns funeral will be held on Thursday (15th December), 11am at Dunnetts, Ormlie Road, Thurso.

Moira
15-Dec-11, 02:12
of the Caithness Courier.

I think this headline may have amused Gleber2. :)

Great article in the Caithness Courier 14/12/2011 .... "An inspiration and a living legend"; "Tributes paid to John Sutherland - the county's most influential rock musician"; "The melody will linger on".....

The tributes have been pouring in on Facebook too, from musicians and friends around the globe. I'm glad about that. Gleber2 deserved them all.....

Moira
16-Dec-11, 00:18
It was as John would have wished. Delivered and attended by those who admired his love, his tenacity, his patience, his friendship and much more. All of these are reflected in his music and so will live on.....

weedonald
16-Dec-11, 06:33
So sad to hear. He was part of what made Caithness such a great place to be a teenager in the early 60's. R.I.P Johnny

Sporran
17-Dec-11, 05:39
I've only just learned of John's passing, and am very sad to hear of it. Caithness has lost one of her greatest musical talents, and the light on Dunnet Head will burn less brightly without his presence. My sincere sympathy goes out to his family. Rest in Peace, Johnny Fats, you will not be forgotten!

squidge
17-Dec-11, 11:14
very sorry :(

emb123
20-Dec-11, 14:08
very sad to learn of John's passing. My condolences to family and friends.

Bobbyian
21-Dec-11, 12:54
very sad to learn of John's passing. My condolences to family and friends. we travelled a short time together in the late 60`s early 70`s when on leave from Army training, Brought me very close to music have remembered him ever since, Pity we didnīt have a chance to meet again, slainte, oll boy

CCT
22-Dec-11, 14:03
So sad to hear the news. Great musician. He will be missed.

Moira
22-Dec-11, 20:16
Link to the Obituary appearing on the Front Page of Caithness dot Org today.
http://www.caithness.org/obituaries/john_sutherland_johnny_fats.htm

scotsboy
01-Jan-12, 17:05
Only heard the sad news on my flying visit back at Xmas. Very sad news, thoughts with the family. His music touched a lot of people, and his intelligence and wit were here for all to see on the org. Bye Bye Johnny, Good bye Johnny...you were good!

gardeninginagale
13-Jan-12, 20:25
Listen up orgers.

He didn't get the credit he deserved in life. Let us at least give him the honour he deserves. I don't know how you nominate somebody for an honour, but wouldn't he just have loved the chance to refuse it.

Is there an April honours thing?

How do you go about nominating someone?

secrets in symmetry
09-Dec-12, 00:03
It's a year since John left us. I hope you're giving them laldy wherever you may be.

Respect.

Moira
09-Dec-12, 00:54
You echo my thoughts Secrets in Symmetry.

There have been some stormy blasts in Caithness tonight, not quite as stormy as the night John left though....

Thankfully for us and the rest of the music world, John's musical talents and love of life live on in his family. :)