PDA

View Full Version : The Storm - it begins?

bekisman
08-Dec-11, 19:11
Well up to about five minutes ago, was all so quiet out here on Strathy Point, but then 'wallop'! at 6pm a big blast from the north.. anyone else getting it yet?

billmoseley
08-Dec-11, 19:14
yes we got the same gust here in Kirtomy now very rough and lights flickering still rain here though hope it stays like that. Couldn't get to Durness first thing blizzards conditions on high ground and no snow plough

Mystical Potato Head
08-Dec-11, 19:15
Aye,the lumb's started rumbling big time.

yorkshire lassie
08-Dec-11, 19:15
Yes in Kirtomy. Seemed to arrive all of a sudden. Lights keep flickering as well.

bekisman
08-Dec-11, 19:19
Yep, lights constanly flicking - it's going to go (maybe)

rs 2k
08-Dec-11, 19:21
Think it will be here pretty soon, police have issued a warning :(

http://www.northern.police.uk/News-and-Media/news-item.htm?item_id=PR3894_2011

shazzap
08-Dec-11, 19:41
Very, very windy. Here in East Yorkshire. But it can't be anywhere, near as bad, as it will be for my OH at sea. Off north Scotland.

Torvaig
08-Dec-11, 19:50
Hope you all have your flasks filled, a torch in your pocket, heating turned up and all loose materials rounded up outside and put in a safe place.

Don't go outside unless it is an emergency; flying debris all around.

Take care everyone.......

TAYLOUCHRIS
08-Dec-11, 19:57
getting bad in helmsdale woo hold on to your chimneys lol

Stack Rock
Wind now picking up in Stacker Land

Headwark
It is getting pretty bad here in Brough, near Dunnet Head.

billmoseley
08-Dec-11, 20:11
o dear my recycle bins seems to have gone walkabout whoops

Pouleriscaig
08-Dec-11, 20:22
Very stormy here in Hastigrow outside Bower from about 6.40pm. Wind strenghening all the time and roof creaking away!

donss
08-Dec-11, 20:27
Wild and howling out here in Watten: Can hear roof tile flapping away and the roof creaking & groaning... not good! Getting the candles & torches out & the pj's on already.... ;-)

funkypumpkin
08-Dec-11, 20:29
Tiles off roof of flats here in Thurso and smashed through car windscreen (the car has been here for months, so guessing its dumped).

ShelleyCowie
08-Dec-11, 20:30
o dear my recycle bins seems to have gone walkabout whoops

Same! My blue bin is gone! Will retrieve it tomorrow, and its contents! Thats if they are not in inverness by now.....

rs 2k
08-Dec-11, 20:39
Hubby just phoned and not allowed to leave dounreay winds too bad, so if u r expecting anyone home soon from dounreay, they r going to be late :(

offcomedun
08-Dec-11, 20:48
Blasting here in Lybster.....feels like the roofs lifting...and the lights are flickering.

annemarie482
08-Dec-11, 20:52
horrendous in lyth
unbelievable wind and rain.
but tescos braved it and delivered my shopping!
only wished i'd ordered candles and torches.
WHEN the power goes out we'll all be ponged out with my scented candles lol

adi1
08-Dec-11, 20:53
Hubby just phoned and not allowed to leave dounreay winds too bad, so if u r expecting anyone home soon from dounreay, they r going to be late :(
dont worry if he is on overtime he still gets paid till 8 .....mind you beggers to belief why the people in power allowed any silent hours working there tonight should of been essential personnel only

mums angels
08-Dec-11, 20:55
Main road at lidls seems to be closed , blue lights flashing , might be to do with flying debris from lidls car park but can't make it out from window very well .

ShelleyCowie
08-Dec-11, 20:57
Main road at lidls seems to be closed , blue lights flashing , might be to do with flying debris from lidls car park but can't make it out from window very well .

Ok up castlegreen though? Hubby needs home to thorfinn place..... :( Lost power there for 10 mins. eeks! Boil the kettle, fill a flask and hot water bottle

ShelleyCowie
08-Dec-11, 21:00
Sorry just found out, its because the petrol station roof has come off/damaged badly

Dman
08-Dec-11, 21:01
spare a thought for the bus drivers driving in this, can,t be easy.

ShelleyCowie
08-Dec-11, 21:06
spare a thought for the bus drivers driving in this, can,t be easy.

Are buses not cancelled???

trix
08-Dec-11, 21:09
an spare a thocht for ma poor faither who choost got a call oot...am no even goin til joke aboot ma inheritance.

i telt him get plenty o' clobber on, long chon's...semit, 'e lot.

ach, he's a hardy manie tho....

yer power will be back on in no time ;)

Dman
08-Dec-11, 21:15
knowing stagecoach probably not they,re drivers seem to be out whatever the weather, even with all that snow last year they were sent out.

DIH
08-Dec-11, 21:19
Power cut in Ulbster. It's sounding really bad out there now.

pig whisperer
08-Dec-11, 21:19
Here at Slickly we have lost a roof from 1 of the pig houses 16' by 8' box profile sheets & timbers, fortunately the pigs are in the steading, the roof past over/ around 3 poultry houses, & several trees. I have the oil lamps & the woodburner to see us ok. The cats & dog arent keen to go out. Keep Safe Orgers

Stack Rock
08-Dec-11, 21:21
About 10 tiles off the roof and hope thats the final count !!!

catran
08-Dec-11, 21:27
well i am scared to look tiles off and that is in town wheeliebins running amok, hopefully not hit my car. Scared to think how my roof looks

brandy
08-Dec-11, 21:34
just waiting for sam to come home from thursday club then we are all snuggled in for the night! the wind in mad here.. read on traffic scotland that the a9 frae thurso is closed due to dangerous structure...so not sure what that is...

theone
08-Dec-11, 21:42
just waiting for sam to come home from thursday club then we are all snuggled in for the night! the wind in mad here.. read on traffic scotland that the a9 frae thurso is closed due to dangerous structure...so not sure what that is...

Pennyland garage.

sandyr1
08-Dec-11, 21:48
Hope you are all well/ I do remember the Caithness Winds...Not nice...

shazzap
08-Dec-11, 21:48
Just took this from the shipping forecast. Hope my husband and all other seafars are ok.

Gale warnings - Issued: 1554 UTC Thu 08 DecViolent storm force 11 veering northwesterly imminent

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1725 UTC Thu 08 DecWindSouthwest veering northwest 7 to severe gale 9, increasing storm 10 or violent storm 11 for a time.Sea StateVery rough or high, occasionally very high.WeatherRain or squally wintry showers.VisibilityModerate or poor.

bodster
08-Dec-11, 21:57
roads open past pennyland petrol station now but police parked up hill watching it,

noticed a large amount of "tescos" boarding is down in old mart

cant believe how high the river is, was lapping the foot path from lorry park to other side of town

bekisman
08-Dec-11, 22:11
Don't know if anyone here is further 'out west' than Strathy Point, but must admit it 'seems' that the power of the wind has dropped by about a third - hopefully it'll ease off as it passes towards you further East..

I may be wrong, but it's been a lower strength for about 25 minutes, hope it stays getting lower. Occasional lights flickering - been watching a nearby pole transformer arcing in the heavy rain..

Stay safe folks!

StacNKel
08-Dec-11, 22:27
Does anyone know how the road is between wick and dunbeath? My mother in law left work in wick at 9pm to get home. Me and the other half are worrying for her hopefully roads not bad though

Torvaig
08-Dec-11, 22:30
Thanks for that; good to know! p.s. that's in reply to bekisman!

adi1
08-Dec-11, 22:35
Heres a good one for the kids take from the Highland Council web page
: All schools and Council operated pre-school provision in Caithness and on the north coast of Sutherland will be closed to pupils tomorrow (Friday) due to expected severe weather conditions. Schools will remain open for any staff, who can safely travel. All other schools in Highland will remain open and if there are any local issues decisions will be taken by head teachers in the normal way.

StacNKel
08-Dec-11, 22:44
Pulteneytown academy and nursery are closed. Miss wark updated at 8.30pm due to severe weather warning for the morning.

annemarie482
08-Dec-11, 22:58
all schools are shut in caithness and sutherland.

your school may not have updated its status but this is true.
check the highland gov site or watch tonights news for confirmation.

RecQuery
08-Dec-11, 23:17
It's been named Hurricane Bawbag by a few people and then the name was adopted by news organisations around the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bawbag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bawbag)
http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Hurricanebawbag (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Hurricanebawbag)
http://www.reddit.com/r/scotland
http://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom

bekisman
09-Dec-11, 10:13
During the night about 01.30 heard a light 'bump' on the roof, stayed awake for a while listening, trying to ascertain above the noise of the gale, if it sounded worrying - nothing came, so back to fitful sleep..
Just checked the whole area outside and nothing amiss whatsoever to do with the structure of the house (Oh how pleased I was that the loose tile above the lounge had been secured the previous day).

Only damage is a 12 foot wooden rail (4 inch x 2 inch) which was wrested away from the fence post by the wind - and in spite of six inch nails flung 50 yards away.
One rather strange occurrence is that smack in the middle of our lawn is a piece of plasterboard about a foot square, it's not ours and it ain't from the other two houses - wonder if there's any damage in Armadale?

Oh no, lights are starting to flick again!

harden
09-Dec-11, 10:43
just wondering what happens to all the damage the council are cleaning up who foots the bill or is it put down to an act off god like say a trampoline smashed up on the road or smashes something

cazmanian_minx
09-Dec-11, 11:36
One rather strange occurrence is that smack in the middle of our lawn is a piece of plasterboard about a foot square, it's not ours and it ain't from the other two houses - wonder if there's any damage in Armadale?

Nothing between us and the main road, don't know about further down towards the point though (we're about half way). My 18x12ft field shelter is two feet further south than it was yesterday!! I know it's supposed to be mobile, but not without the aid of a tractor....!

pat
09-Dec-11, 11:59
At the moment a light breeze.
Yesterday was very windy and rainy all morning then a calm but a few little power cuts then just after 4pm it suddenly blew up again, power off until after midnight.
Due to angle and amount of rain water poured into middle of dining room and entrance hall! Neighbours have had ffelt torn from shed another neighbour's shed has blown over, poly tunnels gone, fences reshaped, but the sheep in my field are still there.
Very very high tides too, lots of stuff washed much much higher than usual in front of house.
Hope that was the worst of it over but prepared for more.

gerry4
09-Dec-11, 12:24
At about 9pm our double shed was picked up and deposited on the road over a 4ft wall. A few tiles off the roof and a tree up rooted. Spent morning trying to find the stuff from the shed.
A kind neighbour stopped and took our lawn mower & big strimmer and put them in their garage.

Never experienced winds like it and used to live in the highest village in the highlands, in middle of cairngorms

purplelady
09-Dec-11, 14:26
I have part of a shed in my garden lol xxx

billmoseley
09-Dec-11, 15:53
i think all in all we have got away with things pretty lightly a few tiles and roofs missing but nothing a hammer and a few nails won't fix

cuthill
09-Dec-11, 16:19
There is a rig at sea opposite mid clyth but it seems to have moved a good few miles nearer the coast and also nearer bruan.

Commore
09-Dec-11, 18:52
We're down 2 chicken sheds (now like confetti in the adjacent croft), the lid off the water tank too, some small trees uprooted but otherwise, we are intact!
Animals all ok except those taken earlier in the week by god alone knows what,
what a storm and its still blowing!

Pouleriscaig
09-Dec-11, 19:05
I used to have a garden wall (till this morning!)

Iffy
09-Dec-11, 19:30
I used to have a garden wall (till this morning!)

That looks bad Pouleriscaig ! As does everyone else's photo's on here which show destruction to their buildings/walls/trampolines/hen houses/sheds and the like... !

We were OK....though I don't know how (there but for the Grace of God!) we never lost power last night !! It did "flicker" a few times, but it stayed on...Yeaahhh !!

Only had an empty can of Fanta and a few pages of the "Daily Record" in my garden this morning !! :eek:

Definetley heard a slate (or two) "go" at about 10 o' clock last night....yet to discover its whereabouts or even it's original slot...LOL !! [disgust]

gerry4
09-Dec-11, 22:52
I have part of a shed in my garden lol xxx

Wow did it fly that far away