PDA

View Full Version : Travel Advice Required!

KCI
26-Oct-06, 08:28
Hi guys

I have to be in Inverness within the next couple of hours.

Just checked Teletext, and it said the A9 is closed both ways at Evanton due to flooding. Does anyone know if this is still the case, and is there any other way to Inverness?

Many thanks for any advice!

chaz
26-Oct-06, 08:34
hi,
my sons gone to inverness about an hour ago, just phoned him, says roads are bad,and its still closed, hope this helps.
chaz

KCI
26-Oct-06, 08:36
Hi Chaz,

Thanks for that. Is there some kind of diversion set up, do you know?

Just trying to decide whether to chance this or not!

chaz
26-Oct-06, 08:44
Not sure , he said he would ring from a bit further down if it was still shut.
sorry not much help, wouldnt chance it unless you really have to, from his description its like a river in places.
chaz

KCI
26-Oct-06, 08:45
Thanks Chaz.

I'm going to have to chance it anyway I think - Wish me luck! :confused

henry20
26-Oct-06, 08:49
Good Luck :D and be prepared for a long journey

Piglet
26-Oct-06, 09:15
The kessock bridge is closed acording to the radio 30 mins ago

grumpyhippo
26-Oct-06, 09:21
Suggested route avoiding A9: Wick, Durness, Ullapool, Gairloch, Invergarry, Inverness...............on second thoughts stay at home!

chaz
26-Oct-06, 09:33
Good luck, take care. x

saxovtr
26-Oct-06, 09:45
good luck with the journey take care! i would take sum drink and food and sum extra warm clothes incase you are sitting for long periods of time,iam dreading walking to the shop in watten,its a challenging drive to inverness!!

footie chick
26-Oct-06, 09:57
http://www.hi-ways.org/shownewsitem.asp?n=126972&s=5908464
or
http://www.mfr.co.uk/Article.asp?id=19856

maybe too late but it looks closed

http://www.trafficscotland.org/views.asp?mi=northernscotland.gif :eek: doesn't look too nice would stay indoors.

KCI
26-Oct-06, 10:59
Hi everyone

Thank you all for the advice and pm's.

Just got back - didn't get very far! The roads are terrible from Wick, and there is serious flooding on the way to Lybster. If you don't need to drive today, then I wouldn't bother! Apparently the roads will get worse around 2.30pm when it's high tide.

Everyone is getting turned away at Dunrobin Castle, and the roads are closed further on with no diversions. There's also been an accident further on.

I can't understand why there are no messages or signs when you leave Wick, to let everyone know that you can't get very far. It's dangerous, and would save everyone a terrible journey if they were warned earlier.

Thanks again everyone.

98elite
26-Oct-06, 11:04
Hope you are still at home, the A9 is currently closed at various locations including Port Gower and Evanton.

I need to be in Inverness too, staying put though there's no point, two of the areas that are closed on the A9 are due to land slides.

Bear Scotland said on MFR that the A9 will remain closed for several hours

A882 is closed at Haster too.

Just to add to it all, Dingwall is being evacuated by boat in parts.

chaz
26-Oct-06, 11:07
Pleased you are home safley:)

98elite
26-Oct-06, 11:08
KCI just read your message, good to hear that your back safe, we need to get down too, will have to wait until later in the day too see if things settle down.

saxovtr
26-Oct-06, 11:12
glad your home then,far as i can see watten is only going to get worse then goodness my house is up off the main road or my house would be flooded:( thinking my self lucky

cuddlepop
26-Oct-06, 11:16
Is this unusual or are you prone to flooding in the winter?:eek: It seems as though the whole of the north east is cut off.:~(

mike
26-Oct-06, 11:30
I am meant to be travelling from Edinburgh to Thurso by train, leaving Edinburgh at 1340 this afternoon. Will I be able to get through or will I end up stuck in Inverness? Are Scotrail running alternative buses where possible or just cancelling all services?

Tugmistress
26-Oct-06, 11:30
This is unusual cuddlepop, to this extent anyway

chaz
26-Oct-06, 11:33
does anyone know if the buses are running thurso to wick via watten? thanks chaz

unicorn
26-Oct-06, 11:40
just spoke to someone on the train on their way to Inverness and they are going nowhere train is stuck!

kwbrown111
26-Oct-06, 11:42
I was phoned and the wick to thurso road is closed

98elite
26-Oct-06, 11:44
wouldnt of thought so with the road been blocked at haster but give them a ring just in case its open again

01847 893123

chaz
26-Oct-06, 11:47
wouldnt of thought so with the road been blocked at haster but give them a ring just in case its open again

01847 893123
Thanks for number, buses only going as far as watten.
chaz

doyle
26-Oct-06, 12:17
Me and Mr Doyle were supposed to be going down to Golspie and Helmsdale today for my father-in-laws funeral. It has been postponed until Saturday as rellies from up here cant get down, and rellies south of Inverness cant get up. Sad day for us all

the charlatans
26-Oct-06, 12:26
Its not very nice in Dunnet either. Think we should all stay inside if possible. Doggy Charlatans wasn't much chuffed but even he woofed to get back inside when i went out for coal earlier. I had Mamabear scheduled to come up from Wick today but i have put her under house arrest until the weather calms down.

Tugmisstress you were correct as ever with the weather warning.

Doyle, our thoughts are with you and your family today, its a hard enough time for you without the weather getting involved. Take care.

highlander
26-Oct-06, 12:31
Hubby was in town and he said the road in front of Dunbar Hospital and by BT is terrible, lot water lying, the firebrigade must be working flat out to clear all this flooding, Doyle sorry to hear that, i did hear on radio that a funeral had been cancelled.

unicorn
26-Oct-06, 12:33
very sorry to hear of your sad troubles today doyle.