PDA

View Full Version : power cuts

phil1958
08-Dec-11, 14:17
just like to say about the possability off power cuts and with this weather it worth thinking ahead and cook your food now also if you have a flask, fill it with hot water and get candels in or a torch also remember your neighbours and the elderly give them a call to see there ok and prepared for another cold winter ahead .....

bekisman
08-Dec-11, 14:48
Good advice and what we did years ago.

When we purchased this place we found a length of electric cable - in the lounge - with a three-pin plug on each end. On asking a crofter friend, he told us that in the event of a power cut, the chap would put the cable out of his window and plug it into a 800watt generator and plug the other end into a plug socket in the house(!)..
Shortly after our arrival the area had a general leaflet from Hydro to say this practice was extremely dangerous and would send power back down the line where maintenance workers might well be working..

Anyway got ourselves a 2.7KW generator, put it in the shed, had an electrician wire in a system with a manual transfer switch and anytime the power went, start the genny and switch over, great; central heating pump, TV's computer, Microwave etc, although when we switched the kettle on the genny stopped!..
So yesterday out and did our monthly 10 minute running, so we're all prepared, I've got my eyes on a 5.0kVA as with this Global Warming, presume we're in for more storms?

Think Aldi had 800watt gennys for c£60? so it's all possible, nothing better than to be comfortable and warm during a storm..

sandyr1
08-Dec-11, 15:04
Was just reading that 100mph winds and yucky weather a bit South....
Oh Scotland...what a loverlyyy place.......... sometimes!

Kodiak
08-Dec-11, 15:24
Think Aldi had 800watt gennys for c£60? so it's all possible, nothing better than to be comfortable and warm during a storm..

Pity there is not an Aldi in Caithness :~(

Nearest Aldi is in Inverness and that is a bit far.

ALDI Inverness
Friars Bridge
Inverness IV3 5JP

bekisman
08-Dec-11, 15:53
Pity there is not an Aldi in Caithness :~(

Nearest Aldi is in Inverness and that is a bit far.

ALDI Inverness
Friars Bridge
Inverness IV3 5JP
You're right of course, mores the pity, but on Ebay can pick up small cheap ones, enough to run lights and circulating pumps..

katarina
08-Dec-11, 16:56
I had a generator in my garage but some one stole it.

bekisman
08-Dec-11, 17:12
I had a generator in my garage but some one stole it.
Wasn't me, had ours for years, from Machine Mart..