PDA

View Full Version : Closed thread

silverlady
08-Dec-11, 12:25
Mmm, just as I settle down to read a potentially very interesting thread re the CreationistsDVD.......I discover it has been closed. Why was that?

Nick Noble
08-Dec-11, 12:58
I felt it was wandering away from the question I asked which. I was not complaining about religious education, I am purely concerned that materials, produced by an evangelical christian group with very close links to a young earth creationist christian apologetics group in the USA, are being given out to school children by schools without any information or guidance for parents.

The actual content of the CD's I is immaterial, just the source and lack of supervision from the school.

Alrock
08-Dec-11, 13:16
Does it really matter if a thread drifts off topic?
If there is still an ongoing discussion why not leave it open, some of the most interesting discussions are found on threads that have drifted off on a tangent. Besides, someone might come along with such a profound comment that it is dragged kicking & screaming back on topic.

DeHaviLand
08-Dec-11, 14:00
Aye, like someone sitting in the pub, arms folded, and refusing to speak because the topic has drifted!

silverlady
08-Dec-11, 14:23
I understand your feelings Nick. I was taken aback when there was a fortune telling tent at my child's primary school as part of a Summer fayre, and also when she came home announcing that she had taken part in a yoga session. I am not comfortable with either of these, and I let the headmaster know re the fortune telling tent. The school was very understanding about my disquiet about the "surprise" yoga sessions(complete with the "ommm-ing") and my little one was found something else to do during the few remaining sessions. Maybe if you got in touch with the school, they would ask parents in future if they wished such a thing to be sent home with the child. Seems a waste of the organisations money to be sending so many out to homes not wanting it.

silverlady
08-Dec-11, 17:03
Just asked my little girl, and she is not aware of any such CD/DVDRom......:-/

oldchemist
08-Dec-11, 17:42
Mmm, just as I settle down to read a potentially very interesting thread re the CreationistsDVD.......I discover it has been closed. Why was that?

It'll be an act of god (or maybe a mod)

sandyr1
08-Dec-11, 17:48
I understand your feelings Nick. I was taken aback when there was a fortune telling tent at my child's primary school as part of a Summer fayre, and also when she came home announcing that she had taken part in a yoga session. I am not comfortable with either of these, and I let the headmaster know re the fortune telling tent. The school was very understanding about my disquiet about the "surprise" yoga sessions(complete with the "ommm-ing") and my little one was found something else to do during the few remaining sessions. Maybe if you got in touch with the school, they would ask parents in future if they wished such a thing to be sent home with the child. Seems a waste of the organisations money to be sending so many out to homes not wanting it.

But doesn't this allow children to experience all that life has to offer. What is wrong with the two items you mentioned.
Parents are there to teach right from wrong and perhaps if required steer kids away from the No Nos! Just because one person doesn't like should you dictate how others run their lives...
When I was young they had all these, including fist fighting and the wall of death..Did that mean that we punched the .............out of each other...of course not.
Is this the new way??? Perhaps we don't have 'outhouses' and a 'well' anymore, but are you/we exposing the children to real life experiences...
It is bad enough leaving Caithness...4 houses... and going to the heart of London and thence abroad to major cities.. One cannot plan for that, but those isues you speak of are actually good to discuss with children. You can then impress them with the bad and the good...Nothing personal!

BTW...When I/we came to Canada we wanted to send our Children to Sunday school....so we chose a nearby Church. The bus picked them up and dropped them off and they loved it...Then one day I was reading a pamphlet they brought home and there is said..The end of the World was coming......Oh Dear...what doth one do?
Spoke to the kids and asked them about it and they said of course not... it's just some they have in their leaflet/ apparently they never spoke about it in 'class'. But thinking towards the future we weaned them away from that idea ove the next while...Everyone does not believe the same thing, and people are entitled to their beliefs!

silverlady
08-Dec-11, 19:14
"Just because one person doesn't like should you dictate how others run their lives..."

Im not dictating to anyone, just as I am sure Nick is not dictating to anyone.

."Everyone does not believe the same thing, and people are entitled to their beliefs! "

Exactly, even Christians!

sandyr1
08-Dec-11, 21:45
You say yourself you complained to the school about the Fortune Telling and the Yoga.....
My thought would be if one doesn't like these things, pass it by.
There is much in life to do, and the education of children is all encompassing.....Did I say pass it by and don't spoil it for others....

silverlady
08-Dec-11, 22:58
How was I spoiling it for others......?

sandyr1
08-Dec-11, 23:08

If you cannot see it/ you cannot see it......Enuff sed...........

trix
08-Dec-11, 23:11

mibbe gien half a chance yer bairny wid hev an interest in yoga...its guid exercise an' teaches bairns aboot 'e muscles in thur bodies an' how they function. they mite even get a laugh oot o'ed!

maybe lookin at tarot cairds wid be guid crack for a bairn, lookin 'at 'e pictures an' thinkin aboot what images they mite portray. a guid way til stretch 'e imagination, bairns luv 'at sort o' thing.

'iss is 'e 21st century, i da think children should be surpressed (or repressed even) an' shaped if ye lek, i think they should hev options an' be allowed til experiment wi' their body an' their mind, in a harmless an' supervised manner, course.

at 'e end o' 'e day, it wis choost a bit o' fun for 'e bairns...ye should loosen up a bit....no disrespect obviously, choost ma opinion.

silverlady
09-Dec-11, 01:09
I have my beliefs, and a group of you are so narrow minded that you can't respect that, I'm off, bye bye

theone
09-Dec-11, 01:35
I have my beliefs, and a group of you are so narrow minded that you can't respect that, I'm off, bye bye

I think your "disquiet" about something as controversial as yoga would allow you to fit in very well with the narrow minded.....

trix
09-Dec-11, 01:40
maybe silver....its ye thats bein narrow minded.

i cause ye no grief an' if 'ats yer beliefs then 'ats cool, id niver disrespect ye in 'at way.

but i think when ye bring a child intil 'e world i think ye hev a responsibility til let them florish, an no bring them up til be little "mini me's"

let them experience life, in their time...as is now.

yoga is very fashionable an' a cool thing til do these days.....opens 'e mind an' allows 'e body an' soul til unite, ye should try'ed, as a wee experiment mibbe...i bet ye'd surprise yersel.

what am tryin til say is that...in years til come when yer bairns are aulder an' their wifes are yoga instructers an' their best friend is a witch....thur goin til think back an mind that ye serrigated them (almost) by protestin an' makin a bit o' a scene, really.....aboot somethin so trivial.

an' their goin til think, "gee...ma mam sure did hev a stick up her erse when we wis bairns....am so gled that she's mellowed in her auld age"

sandyr1
09-Dec-11, 02:34

Methinks you have some other issues/ Didn't you have a similar problem a while back? Respect has to be gained and by you going around complaining about the 'real world' causes the entire Community probs....You don't have to buy or participate if you don't want to.....
I think Trix got it right............

billy5000
09-Dec-11, 02:46
I can see why you dont like the tarot cards etc (fortune telling)but the yoga im not sure about!!?

I can understand and respect others beliefs, but its when other people try to sneak them into young minds i dont approve of!!

tarot cards(fortune telling )has been a fixture in many traveling fairs etc for a very long time, and for us adults its abit of fun! even if we know its a crock!!
but young minds may not be such a good place to practice this gibberish, and in the wrong hands and to the wrong child it could be devastating! wether it be making him/her think she will be rich and famous or wether it be finding out your life isnt going to pan out how you expect! or even as long as you would expect....

Im not saying a fortune teller would be that stupid or cruel, but in this day and age i wouldnt rule anything out!!
so adults fine kids NO!!
Yoga is apparently about reaching a state of balance in mind and body and it could have many benefits! but i still think its a load of cobblers:) but hey ive been wrong before!:)

it was supprising when i pulled my kids from RE i wasnt the only parent to follow suit! so maybe the schools and the goverment should think twice about trying to keep this subject in the school agendas..

why does the church mumbo jumbo still have a place in our schools?its NOT proven FACT so its basically wasting good school hours when they could be taught something that will give them a head start in an allready hard world!!instead of letting them believe that if it all goes wrong, you can pray to some fictional guy who will hear you and make it all better!!!!

i know what my kids believe!!!
everyone else is welcome to do as they please if it makes them feel all warm inside!!praying isnt going to keep my house warm or pay the bills or keep me from getting cancer!!

sorry but thats just me!!

Moira
09-Dec-11, 02:49
It'll be an act of god (or maybe a mod)

Or maybe you should have gone to Specsavers.

The final post on Nick's closed thread read as follows:-

I personally have absolutely no problem with schools teaching RE, provided that it teaches across faiths and compares the various faiths. To my knowledge that is the case in Highland Council schools.

However when the school gives out material that is connected with a fundamentalist creationist sect that actively and proudly campaigns against science and claims that what is contained in the bible is the literal word of god and therefore infallibly true, then I have a major problem.

As there seems to be some drift away from my original question into more general RE type issues I think it is now right to close the thread. Thanks to all for their thoughts.

sandyr1
09-Dec-11, 02:54
Come on moira....tell us something intelligent.....

billy5000
09-Dec-11, 03:07
by my post you may think im abit of a narrow minded guy! but i do have some beliefs, and ive seen things that ive had to question !but when it comes to god im a firm stick in the mud!!:)

When i was younger(im 35):)i was doing what allot of teenagers do and i visited a fair few clubs in london (as you do)(or maynot)and i admit i did things(stuff)i shouldnt have,but during one night i was so hammered with a combination of ALLOT of things that technically i should have been a gonna!!(not proud)

But during this stint i sat in this (chillout)room and basically just monged!!! and as the hours flew by i began to fall into what i believe was a coma and if it was not for a girl tapping my leg and saying "not now"then id be dead!!!

I asked my freinds who were there that night, what the girl who was stroking my hair allnight looked like,and they turned to me and said "what girl?,youve been sat in the corner all night on your own"

And these friends were no more than several feet away most of the night and one who was sober as he was driving!

I dont know what i saw or what i talked to that night but if it wasnt for her whoever she was then id be dead and im pretty sure of it going by what id taken(nothing needle related (ever)!!!thats dirty!!!:)

so was she a guardian angel or a figmant of my wasted mind?
so i do have some beliefs and i believe she was a guardian angel and i talked to and felt her touch!

now thats messed up !!but im thankfull whoever she was!!

sandyr1
09-Dec-11, 03:31
Oh Dear.......Billy.

billy5000
09-Dec-11, 03:36
why:)lol ........

sids
09-Dec-11, 19:38
Just asked my little girl, and she is not aware of any such CD/DVDRom......:-/

She's just not telling you, to save her the embarrassment of yet another complaint to the school.