PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Crossing

Fran
26-Oct-06, 01:21
Are the 2 new zebra crossings in wick for use or ornamental? I have passed there so many times today and i have not seen one person use it. The school kids cross the road nearby, anywhere but on the crossing, shoppers dont use it, even saw an old wifey cross nearby but not on it. what is the purpose of it if no one is going to use it!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_12_14.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZN)

rfr10
26-Oct-06, 15:46
even thought they should be, I didn't think that they would use it as most of the pupils from the High School just cross where ever they want and they expect traffic to stop for them anyway.

Also, in front of the High School, it is not speed bumps they are putting in but 2 raised crossings- one at each end of the road and the island in the middle of the road near the coop is there so you can cross half the road at a time.

JAWS
26-Oct-06, 16:19
Yet another case of "Let's pretend we are doing something useful"?

Venture
26-Oct-06, 20:54
I totall agree with you Fran. You can bet that now that the crossings are in place that the kids will go out of there way NOT to use it. What a ridiculous waste of money. Why didnt they put a green man crossing system at the bottom of Francis Street instead. I think its more needed there.

gaby2003
26-Oct-06, 21:02
its a waste of time and money!i stopped e other day to let someone go across it and the car behind me didnt slow off and was nearly in back of me!so does some motorists not even pay attention for when people are standing at it or when cars are stopping.
as for speed bumps/raised crossings high school kids will never use these either they run all over e place always have always will!u just hav to b cautious when their about no point wasting money on these kinda things when our roads are more need of gettin repaired!!

grumpyhippo
26-Oct-06, 21:34
2 new zebra crossings in wick ...... i have not seen one person use it.

Strangely enough I've not seen any zebras use it either.
The council would have been better off spending their (our) money repairing potholes so that school children playing chicken with the traffic didn't trip. It seems only fair to give these charming young members of a future generation a reasonable chance of avoiding serious injury.:lol: :lol:

Julz
26-Oct-06, 22:35
As a student i always found it difficult to cross the road when coming home from school before the zebra crossings, naturally it's a very busy time and admittedly a lot of the students are extreemly foolish and walk out in front of traffic regardless but then again have any drivers really thought about the fact that when seeing a group of children standing on the pavement waiting patiently that it would only take them a few seconds to stop and let them cross. I am surprised that after all this time there hasn't been a really nasty accident! I remember before the crossings were in place an elderly lady was waiting to cross the road and cars were going flat out as she became more and more flustered, i was in my dad's car at the time and we stopped to let her cross, the car behind us actually tried to mount the pavement in an attempt to pass us due to impatience. Has socioty really changed that much that folk can't spare just a few seconds out of their busy lifestyles to let a few kids, an elderly person or any person cross the road for that matter? i for one am grateful for the crossings, at least now i can guarantee a safe crossing on the way home from school!