PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen Butteries

golach
06-Dec-11, 23:45
A long time ago before the millenium, I was sailing on a North Sea Steamship the St Magnus from Leith to Lerwick, when I was introduced to the Aberdeen delicacy, The Buttery, made by the Ships Chief Cook. I was hooked on them from day one, but sadly have not come across them for a very long time, until a few weeks ago, in a Morrison's Supermarket.
Although they are nice, and I enjoy eating them again, some thing is lacking, I wonder if it's my age that has clouded my taste buds, or is it my memory of far off days that is clouded.
I know home made is best, but I have eaten some from a bakery in Aberdeen, is it just supermarket goods do not come up to scratch, or is it me, as I suspect

gleeber
06-Dec-11, 23:50
I havnt had a decent buttery since the pie shop closed 40 years ago.
The pie shop was next door to the post office and is now chinese restuarant.

joxville
07-Dec-11, 01:25
I used to make them when I worked in Johnston's Bakery but I don't know if they still make them since I left Caithness in 2002.

redeyedtreefrog
07-Dec-11, 21:31
You can get pretty good ones from the Cliff Bakery and Houston's.

Dadie
07-Dec-11, 22:10
They are not the same!
Cliff, Houstons, Johnstons are not a patch on the real Aberdeen rowies....fresh from the bakers....smothered in more butter....
As for supermarket ones, not a hope!
We get a buttery parcel ever so often from Aberdeen and I refuse to share!

changilass
07-Dec-11, 22:25
Where are they bought from dadie and I will buy some for Golach next time I am heading south.

golach
07-Dec-11, 23:23
Where are they bought from dadie and I will buy some for Golach next time I am heading south.

Loves the thought Changi, but they will be cold by the time you get down here, and you know what happened the last time you admitted to speeding [lol]

Dadie
07-Dec-11, 23:25
I always got mine from Kelly of Cults, which is a bit out the way...but darn fine!
It was a mini market with its own butchers and bakers under one roof.
But most Aberdeen traditional bakers are good at the buttery, its finding a traditional baker these days thats harder!
I also got sausages from them and blackpudding as its the best I knew...but havent had a sausage parcel for ages so wouldnt like to say .....
I could always ask my relies, on who they use though, it may take a bit of hunting down to get a good baker!

dunbrake
07-Dec-11, 23:42
MacDonald's bakery in Wick makes butteries as we know them in Caithness but they also make an Aberdeen rowie, delicious

Dadie
07-Dec-11, 23:44
they are not good compared with the real ones!
Tried and disgarded!
Not enough butter and folding...bit too dry and just not right!
Butteries are supposed to make you think a couple of inches on the hips per bite, but not greasy...

hopper.65
08-Dec-11, 07:13
Reids of Caithness make the best butteries i have one everyday

EDDIE
08-Dec-11, 09:45
Aitkens bakery in aberdeen are really good at making them i like puting them in the toaster first to heat them up then put butter on it

Sage
08-Dec-11, 10:55
You can only get a decent rowie in Aberdeen. I've tried loads since I left and they're just not the same. Perhaps you need the Aberdonian air ;)

mrsC2011
08-Dec-11, 11:30
the butteries in wick have changed i used to love them as a kid but they just dont taste the same and r quite dry doesnt matter where i get them either that or its just my taste that has changed

seadog
08-Dec-11, 16:20
Loves the thought Changi, but they will be cold by the time you get down here, and you know what happened the last time you admitted to speeding [lol]

Pop them in the toaster for ameenit golch

golach
08-Dec-11, 16:31
Pop them in the toaster for ameenit golch

Thanks Seadog, that means changi will not encur another Soup Embargo lol

lsk24
08-Dec-11, 23:26
i know what you mean..love aberdeen butteries, so soft, fluffy, light. equally good is the argos bakery in orkney...yumm