PDA

View Full Version : New Telly

John Little
06-Dec-11, 22:18
We are thinking of getting a new telly.

Neither of us is scientifically inclined.

LED or LCD?

And why?

toffee_pie
06-Dec-11, 22:44
if you got a hefty chunk of cash to spend the Samsung D7000 is the daddy of all tellys now.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE46D7000LUXXU

got a sony LED myself.. so many jargons now you would need a dictionary.

ducati
06-Dec-11, 22:54
Definitely colour, yes, and one with BBC2

John Little
06-Dec-11, 22:56
Chuffin Norah! Hefty chunk indeed!

I don't think the missus would allow me to spend that much!

Nice telly though.

gleeber
06-Dec-11, 22:56
What are you doing with your old one? :lol:

John Little
06-Dec-11, 22:57
Duke - you are, as they say, a wag! :cool:

John Little
06-Dec-11, 22:58
What are you doing with your old one? :lol:

Giving it to a bloke down the road - it's not a bad telly - just I object to the Freeview box having a mind of its own...

John Little
06-Dec-11, 23:06
Duke - R says she really relates to your suggestion. :confused

Blinkin' technophobes have got me outnumbered here...

squidge
06-Dec-11, 23:23
46 inches???? What do people want with such a big telly? What do you watch that needs to be so big? i know there are bigger ones too. I just dont get it.

shazzap
06-Dec-11, 23:26
46 inches???? What do people want with such a big telly? What do you watch that needs to be so big? i know there are bigger ones too. I just dont get it.

Might have to do with eyesight.

John Little
06-Dec-11, 23:27
But I don't particularly want a big'un.

I just want to know whether LED or LCD is best....:~(

Phill
06-Dec-11, 23:29
CRT!
It's the future.

Phill
06-Dec-11, 23:30
But I don't particularly want a big'un.Said the actress to the bishop!

John Little
06-Dec-11, 23:35
CRT!
It's the future.

I ain't QUITE that iggerant!

teddybear1873
06-Dec-11, 23:36
I have a 47' LED and it is far superior to the LCD.

LED is a tv that is backlit (light-emitting diodes)

Here is a link that explains more. Go for LED LCD, you will not be disappointed.

http://reviews.cnet.com/led-tvs-review-10-things-you-need-to-know?tag=contentMain;contentBody;pm

John Little
06-Dec-11, 23:42
That is an interesting link - thanks - I shall read it tomorrow when less tired. Mrs L will not go for 47" though - she has views on screen size and I managed to get her to agree 37" but she'd prefer 32..

Anything is better than a telly which switches at random to Cbeebies!

teddybear1873
07-Dec-11, 00:30
That is an interesting link - thanks - I shall read it tomorrow when less tired. Mrs L will not go for 47" though - she has views on screen size and I managed to get her to agree 37" but she'd prefer 32..

Anything is better than a telly which switches at random to Cbeebies!

Like my wife John. She thought a 37" was big enough for the living room until I showed her what a 47" is a big blockbuster. It took her some thinking, but she caved in.

I won yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol.

All I got to do now is convince her next year to go for the Yamaha 7.1 surround system I'm after.

Tristan
07-Dec-11, 04:07
For a 32" to 37" I would go for what is affordable and looks good in the shops. On a smaller screen and a normal viewing distance you will notice the difference between the technologies as you would for a larger screen.

Corrie 3
07-Dec-11, 10:28
Wait till the next riots are on in London John and just go and help yourself, choose whichever takes your fancy!!

C3...........:roll:;)

John Little
07-Dec-11, 12:01
You funny man!

I've been looking at Which reports and they recommend the Panasonic LCD tellies - apparently other makes do not score so well on sound quality. Panasonic also scores very highly on picture quality.
:lol:

ducati
07-Dec-11, 12:14
You funny man!

I've been looking at Which reports and they recommend the Panasonic LCD tellies - apparently other makes do not score so well on sound quality. Panasonic also scores very highly on picture quality.
:lol:

You could check the Daily Mail for a list of what the discerning rioter was looting?

John Little
07-Dec-11, 12:38
The question is - do rioters discern?

ducati
07-Dec-11, 12:45
The question is - do rioters discern?

Just to try to be a little more helpful. :lol: We have a fine LCD telly we bought off ebay for £125 2 years ago. It has built in Freeview but we have a sky dish so don't use that. Made in China I guess, but no probs with it and it came with a guarantee. We bought another one for mum in law and her's is fine too.

Lets face it, if it lasts 12 months for that price it is good value.

billy5000
07-Dec-11, 13:17
we have one of these but i wouldnt recommend it if you are thinking of a more portable telly!!

lg flatron we-32q10ip
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=lg+flatron+we-32q10ip&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ukw&sa=X&rls=com.google:en-GB:official&biw=1360&bih=612&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsfd&tbnid=5PgZ1p8eAUNicM:&imgrefurl=http://elektronika.vatera.hu/televizio/kepcsoves_hagyomanyos/lg_flatron_we_32q10ip_televizio_77cm_1493162195.ht ml&docid=jzwQOAxfbCn-cM&imgurl=http://n2.vatera.hu/photos/3d/8d/ff85_1_big.jpg&w=446&h=326&ei=U1jfTv62O4KKhQeJ3ODyBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=455&vpy=285&dur=1136&hovh=192&hovw=263&tx=148&ty=81&sig=107841757942058792469&page=1&tbnh=120&tbnw=161&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0

It weighs 10stone but its a rock(feels like one too)
Its easy to repair if you need to!and easy to clean the dust from each year

Its sound system is second to none with turbo sound that really is something else!!
Its got turbo picture with many presets and user define mode
It has a digital eye(it scans the ambient light in the room and adjusts the picture for the best quality)

picture quality is 100+
sound 100+
and the tv itself looks great with soft touch buttons and much more

it has lasted years and has never lost any of its functions nor quality

the only downside is the weight!!!!jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but fine tv eitherway!!!

Wanted
07-Dec-11, 13:49
Buy plasma instead.. far better viewing angles than Led or Lcd..Panasonic..Samsung or Lg are best choice.Make sure it has FULL HD that is 1920 x 1080p and freeview

Liz
07-Dec-11, 13:56
I have a Panasonic LCD and Panasonic Plasma and they are both great although I prefer the Plasma as it has a more 'natural' picture and doesn't suffer from backlight bleed like LCD (I think LED might suffer from this as well?).

The reason I have both is I got the 32" LCD first but the yellow 'clouding' in dark scenes was getting on my nerves and I got a very good deal from Panasonic so put the LCD in the bedroom and the Plasma in the living room. It is 37" but Panasonic have stopped making Plasmas in this size and they now start at 42" although you can still get the 37" Plasma in some stores.

The sound quality on both is really good and I don't feel the need to get a surround sound system.

Liz
07-Dec-11, 14:04
Buy plasma instead.. far better viewing angles than Led or Lcd..Panasonic..Samsung or Lg are best choice.Make sure it has FULL HD that is 1920 x 1080p and freeview

I agree with you re Plasma but you only need full HD for Blu Ray and Xbox. Even then I don't think it's noticable on tellies under 50" or if you sit closer to the screen?

I have a Panasonic 37X10 which is HD ready but it handles HD and Blu Ray really well and the picture quality and sound quality is brillaint! :)

Kodiak
07-Dec-11, 14:14
There are pros and cons for all Televisions. I personally like LG TV's.

I have one LG 42" LCD HD TV and one LG 42" LED HD TV. I bought them at different times, 18moths between them, and I waited until I could buy them at the best price possible.

I bought the LED, which really is still a LCD but with a back light and a lot thinner than a LCD, at less than half price when Curry's a a deal on. Cost was £399 and it was worth it. It has a Contrast Ratio of 3,000,000 to 1 so you get rich colours and real Black Black's. The sound is very good as well as it has to 10W built in speakers. When I watch HD or a Blu-Ray Movie the quality of the picture is fantastic and it is the best thing I have bought.

It took a long time to save up the money for this set, just over a Year but it was worth it. I am sure that other TV's are as good but I like my LG TV's and that is all that matters.

Gizmo
07-Dec-11, 16:02
You should really consider a good Plasma screen, that way you don't get any loss in picture quality if you're watching it from an angle. And they have better picture quality. But if you're set on either LCD or LED, go for LED.

Bazeye
07-Dec-11, 19:12
You could check the Daily Mail for a list of what the discerning rioter was looting?

Dont do it John, it'll turn you all bitter and twisted, like me.

oldmarine
07-Dec-11, 19:19
We have a 52 inch tele. It's easier on my 86 year old eyes.

Phill
07-Dec-11, 21:37
What I find interesting with the new HD tellyboxes when used with a HD channel is the picture quality is nearly as good as analogue, until it freezes.

John Little
07-Dec-11, 21:42
I've been looking at some comparisons between LCD and Plasma. They seem on the whole to be much of a muchness in terms of quality, depending on who makes them - but LCD is cheaper...

Panasonic Veira looks good.

Lots of good advice folks - and very helpful - thank you all. :)

Corrie 3
07-Dec-11, 22:13
I've been looking at some comparisons between LCD and Plasma. They seem on the whole to be much of a muchness in terms of quality, depending on who makes them - but LCD is cheaper...

I have Panasonic Veira John and am very pleased with it!!.....(32inch)

C3................;)

John Little
07-Dec-11, 22:27

C3................;)

That is what Mrs L favours - she's glad to see such a positive recommendation!

adi1
07-Dec-11, 22:52

C3................;)
32 inch is far to small you need at least 40 inch, at first you will think the screen size is massive but soon get used to it, then after 12 months you will wish you got a larger screen size lol.

Corrie 3
07-Dec-11, 23:07
32 inch is far to small you need at least 40 inch, at first you will think the screen size is massive but soon get used to it, then after 12 months you will wish you got a larger screen size lol.
It depends what size your room is, mine is quite small and a bigger TV would look silly!!

C3.............;);)

Liz
08-Dec-11, 00:09

Mine are both Panasonic Vieras and would highly recommend them.

However, I think you'll find that plasma is cheaper than LCD. :) As I said, I much prefer the picture quality of the Plasma but it's a personal choice.

secrets in symmetry
08-Dec-11, 00:43

Lots of good advice folks - and very helpful - thank you all. :)I have a Panasonic Viera, which (according to my measuring stick) has a 37 inch screen. I think it's LCD, but you'll maybe know from another thread that I don't know an awful lot about tellyboxes.

Make sure you get one with built-in Freeview HD, or you'll need a Freeview HD box to see the new-fangled HD channels.

I bought the Panasonic because it was on special offer, and it has a bigger screen than my old Sony Bravia. I find much easier to browse channels and programming info than the Sony. I also have an LG, but it's inferior in every way.