PDA

View Full Version : taken from Old Groats

trinkie
06-Dec-11, 09:08
December 1932 The S.S. Llantwit-Major (Cardiff) in Wick Harbour on August 22nd 1932 loading herrings for Russia. This vessel, said to be the largest that ever entered Wick Harbour, was capable of carrying 20,000 barrels of herrings. At Wick 8066 barrels were taken on board, the steamer them proceeding to Lerwick to complete the cargo. These herrings were part of 100,000 barrels sold to the Soviet at 25s per barrel. The deal with Russia was put through after long negotiations between the Scottish Herring Producers' Association and the British Herring Trade Association over the question of price. Ultimately 25s per barrel was agreed to, with an allowance of 15s 3d per cran to the fishermen. It took the fishermen from June 21 to July 6 to produce the quantity required – 83,334 crans.

Mosser
06-Dec-11, 20:46
Aye you're always good for something different Trinkie, thank you. I remember a similar sized ship coming into the harbour for herring in the late 1940s, I think that she was Russian too, this might spark someones memory

south view 7
06-Dec-11, 21:02
I remember the crew letting me and my mates aboard her but can"t remember her name as we were only bairns then and only intrested in getting onboard and thought it was the best thing that ever happened.

gleeber
06-Dec-11, 22:11
Thats a lot of herring. That must have been the tail end of Wick and the herring industry. Was there much fishing during the Second world war?

Moira
06-Dec-11, 22:20
Fascinating, Trinkie. Thank you.

Kenn
06-Dec-11, 22:22
Thanks for sharing Trinkie another fascinating snippet of local history.

trinkie
07-Dec-11, 09:24
I must say when I read that small article on page 24 of the Groat it fair took my breath away. I read it again to make sure I had all the figures correct and then I marvelled at the amount of fish around the coast of Caithness. How many boats were there and how many men risking their all out on the open sea. It was too much! My mind went back to my grannie doubled over packing herring in a barrel – how many fisher lassies and how many clooties on their fingers? My dear grannie took such pride in her work as she explained to me how the herring had to be packed, they looked beautiful lying there with the salt glistening in the sun. She told me the barrels go all over the world. I thought then, that she was havering. I wonder what she was being paid.
How many lorries and horses and carts taking the barrels from the fish yards down to the harbour?
How many scorries waiting their chance to pounce? The noise and excitement, the hustle and bustle, the anxious men shouting to keep working as this job had to be done.
What a big operation, I can imagine the sighs of relief as the boat set off for Lerwick and there the same performance would start all over again.

Mosser and Southview you both have good memories of being on equally large ships. I can just remember a huge Whaler in Wick, I think it was Danish, where they let us on board and showed us around.
Gleeber I think you are right, this would have been towards the end of the Herring Fishing in Caithness. I went back to the beginning of the Groat and read the Editor's words.

''In last year's number we expressed the hope that signs of better times would soon begin to appear on the national horizon. In this – the tenth issue – we are unable to record that these expectations have been fully realised. The Ship of State is still labouring rather heavily in the troubled seas of economic and financial distress; and our own country's experiences in that respect are shared by particularly every other country in the world. Still, from the national point of view, some progress has been made, and we can only look forward with unshaken hope to the coming of more placid conditions and more prosperous times.

Locally our two principal industries – agriculture and fishing – have unfortunately, shown decline rather than revival, and it is difficult to forecast what the future may bring to us in these two departments of our communal life. In other respects the year now closing has passed without many features of particular note........''

gleeber
07-Dec-11, 12:29
Interestingly within a month of the editor compiling that editorial Hitler became cancellor of Germany and the world did change.
I was wondering about the fishing industry during the war in caithness. Were there any particular exemptions brought in like there was in the farming industry? Was fish rationed?

trinkie
07-Dec-11, 16:18
Yes Gleeber the world did change .
I'm not sure about Fish being rationed during the War, I dont think so, I remember we had plenty to eat. I'm hoping another person can answer your question, there might have been some kind of restriction as to fishing grounds etc. I've just had lunch with an old friend from Hull whose father was involved with
Fishing and he doesn't remember any restrictions either. This is an interesting question.

Mosser
07-Dec-11, 17:41
Thats a lot of herring. That must have been the tail end of Wick and the herring industry. Was there much fishing during the Second world war?
No Herring fishing at all during WW2, it got underway again in 1946 but never regained the heights of former years, the last 7000 crans went for oil processing in 1955.

Mosser
07-Dec-11, 17:55
Yes Gleeber the world did change .
I'm not sure about Fish being rationed during the War, I dont think so, I remember we had plenty to eat. I'm hoping another person can answer your question, there might have been some kind of restriction as to fishing grounds etc. I've just had lunch with an old friend from Hull whose father was involved with
Fishing and he doesn't remember any restrictions either. This is an interesting question.

The main restriction was that all the young fishermen were called up and then later the MOD took fishermen up to the age of 60 for service in coastal patrol, mine sweeping etc and the Wick fleet shrank to about 12/15 boats, fishing was somewhat intermittent with the boats manned by a mixture of old men and youths

ducati
07-Dec-11, 18:02
Facinating thread from someone new to the area. Thanks

gleeber
07-Dec-11, 18:23
So would fish have been rationed and did they send any south? They must have had a few close encounters with the Luftwaffe too?

Mosser
07-Dec-11, 18:32
So would fish have been rationed and did they send any south? They must have had a few close encounters with the Luftwaffe too?

There was really very little fishing done as the boats would only be at sea in daylight for short periods and as far as I know all the fish were for the local trade. I'm not aware of any fishing boat being attacked by the Luftwaffe. There were two High speed air sea rescue launches stationed in Wick Harbour and two old drifters the Lottie and the Isabella Ferguson which were to be used as blockade vessels if the Germans invaded. They were broken up in Broadhaven after the war.

gleeber
07-Dec-11, 18:40
I wonder why it never took off again after the war? They had 5 years to restock. That's interesting.
I can still remember from the 50s herring the size of small haddies. Nowadays the herring in the supermarkets the size of small selags.

trinkie
07-Dec-11, 19:49
Thank you for that Mosser - it makes sense, and of course my grannie and others had no Herring work during the War either.
The man I met today said his uncle who was still fishing from Grimsby had been torpedoed leaving the Harbour in 1944.
So the boats were in great danger.

Gleeber I too have wondered at the size of herring now. Like you I remember a good sized herring with a delicious roe.
Going back even further I remember being told that when folk went off to Uni or college they had with them a half barrel of herring
and another of oats ! That was their diet for as long as it lasted .
My grannie always had a half barrel of herring in the attic, I suppose most households in Wick would have the same.

Like everything else, herring tasted better in days gone by. !

Mosser, wasn't there a fish oil factory down at Shaltigoe? I'll never forget the smell ! Were they using herring or cod?

Trinkie

Mosser
07-Dec-11, 21:02
Thank you for that Mosser - it makes sense, and of course my grannie and others had no Herring work during the War either.
The man I met today said his uncle who was still fishing from Grimsby had been torpedoed leaving the Harbour in 1944.
So the boats were in great danger.

Gleeber I too have wondered at the size of herring now. Like you I remember a good sized herring with a delicious roe.
Going back even further I remember being told that when folk went off to Uni or college they had with them a half barrel of herring
and another of oats ! That was their diet for as long as it lasted .
My grannie always had a half barrel of herring in the attic, I suppose most households in Wick would have the same.

Like everything else, herring tasted better in days gone by. !

Mosser, wasn't there a fish oil factory down at Shaltigoe? I'll never forget the smell ! Were they using herring or cod?

Trinkie

Oh!! the herring oil factory, better known as the gut factory, it could be smelt as far in as Watten on an easterly, it was strictly herring.
Gleeber you're right about the size of herring, in the early days the biggest herring was a La Full no less than 11'' long, try buying one of those today although the Caithness herring was generally smaller and called a Mattie some 9'' long and considered by most to be the best herring for curing and oh the roe, I can taste that now.Boiled herring and a floury long blue tattie, most people had a small barrel of herring called a Firkin, a quarter barrel, for winter use it would hold 200 - 250 salt herring. Days long gone.

After the war tastes changed, the Herring Board did have a go at advertising the benefits of eating herring and for a year or so it revived but new patterns of diet and changing markets were the death knell and the Silver Darling slipped away

trinkie
07-Dec-11, 22:25
......and as our favourite fish fades away to fathoms new I turn to another page in the Groat to find a brighter subject.....

Wick's Electricity Power Station.

In the past few budget statements submitted to Wick Town Council,
the outstanding feature has been the progress of the municipal electricity undertaking. Annual revenue increased from £868 in the first financial period to May 1929 to £6,249 for the year to May this year ( 1932).
These figures clearly show the rapidity with which the scheme has developed, but an even better idea of the expansion of the undertaking is given by the photograph on the right. The original power station is seen in the centre, dwarfed by the large extensions on either side. Very little time had passed after power was first available when it was obvious to everyone concerned that much larger plant would be required. The result was the extension seen on the right, in which the power was more than doubled. Even them the load grew so rapidly that soon it became apparent the output would not meet local requirements this winter, so the amitious extension here shown was proceeded with . The newest building is 100 feet in length while the chimney is 125 feet in height, and is now a noted 'landmark' at the harbour. Wick can now supply electricity to a wide area , and negotiations are proceeding to extend the mains to Thurso.

Sorry no pictures. Who remembers the Beeg Chimbley ?

gleeber
08-Dec-11, 09:06
Snippets from a world long lost.
I never remember not having electricity but I know people who do and no toilet facilities either. Once during the 70s I was renovating a council house in Thurso and all the pipework for gas lights were still intact. That house was built around the same time as the Groat article's talking about and I dont know if electricity would have been installed at that time. I think the Glebe had electric light when it was built in 1933 so they must have made the connection to the Wick Power station shortly after the article was written or was there already a source for electricity in Thurso?

trinkie
08-Dec-11, 19:43
Hi Gleeber, we too had all mod cons. No hot water or bath of course, that came later. I think my grannie in Pulteney had electricity in the mid 30s but the little gas lights were still on the wall. Do you remember the fragile mesh-like covers. We were never allowed to touch them.
Our friends in Thrumster had electricity in the 40s, but only switched the light on to find the candles .
Am I imagining it, or do I remember the street Gas Lights in Breadalbane in the 40s ? I might be wrong.
What changes electricity must have made to our community and we were made to be aware it was not to be wasted, especially in the home.

trinkie
08-Dec-11, 19:49
As the tourists were flocking up to the north the local hotels began advertising, now very proud of having Electricity throughout.....

John O Groats Hotel, boasts Fully Licensed, Lock-up Garages, Loch Fishing and Electrically lit throughout.
''When you reach the end of your journey to the 'farthest North'' you will find the John O'Groats House Hotel awaiting you with a hearty welcome, comfortable beds and delightful meals at moderate prices.''
…................................................. ....................................

''The Portland'' which is run on the most up-to-date lines, has already achieved a wide popularity because of it's homely hospitality. Numerous glowing tributes have appeared in the southern Press from the pens of writers who, while travelling over northern Scotland 'discovered' the Hotel, and to their obvious enjoyment, found in it their ideal of what a hotel should be. They were, they wrote, made thoroughly welcome, given every comfort and provided with excellent food, yet at extremely moderate charges.
If you visit Caithness, take the advice of these writers and stay at the Portland Arms Hotel
electric light throughout.
.…...............................

Specially listed by the A.A.
Maldon Hotel Wick
First-class tourist and family hotel.
The Hotel for Visitors to John O'Groats .
Recently re-decorated
Electric light throughout.
…............................................ ...

The Commercial Hotel.
To Caithnessians and their friends,
If your next summer vacation is to be spent in Caithness you will add to the pleasure of your visit by putting up at the
Commercial Hotel, under the supervision of the proprietors.
Moderate tarriff, Electric lighting throughout, large dining room and comfortable lounge.
''I lunched last week in the same hotel in which, during the election campaigns, I used to stay fifteen years ago, and from the window of which it was customary for the successful candidate, to address the assembled populace after the declaration of the poll. The hotel is of peculiar shape. Lord Strathclyde – then Lord Advocate – aptly described it as ''the bowsprit of a ship'' - ''

Lord Alness in The Scotsman August 1932
…................................................. ..............................
D.R.Simpson, Wick
Wireless listening-in installation (any make ) demonstrations given free.
…................................................. ................................................

Pentland Hotel, Thurso
fully licensed.
Loch fishing to residents, Large garage with private lock-ups, Landaulette and touring cars for hire, Petrols and oils stocked, Resident Mechanic.
…................................................. ................................................

Laurie & Co, Dempster Street, Wick

''Men often wonder why women don't think of presents like these''

Exide and Drydex Batteries are quality products manufactured in Britain by British Labour and British Capital. As Exide Service Agents we have an Exide Battery for every make of car or motor cycle, and can effect Repairs to any make of Battery in two hours.
Exide Accumulators and Drydex Batteries – the perfect pair for Radio - we can fulfil any Radio requirement.
See the new Drydex Torches, Pocket-lamps and Gaslighters equipped with Drydex Batteries.
…................................................. .................................................. ..........

Alex. Robertson & Son, Wick
Morris Agents for Caithness.
Smarter, faster, safer cars for 1933.

8 hp Morris Minor ….. £100
10 hp Morris Ten …..... £165
12 hp Morris Cowley ….. £165

14 hp Morris Major...... £199. 10/-
16 hp Morris Oxford …. £265
18 hp Morris Isis ….. £350

25 hp Morris ''25'' …. £385
Morris light van … .. £110

…................................................. ..........................................

trinkie
09-Dec-11, 09:06
Some of the visitors were moved to writing a poem.

After Many Years

by William Cormack, Edinburgh
1932 John O Groat Journal

I came when the sun was low to the spot that gave me birth,
I saw the past and the long ago with all its cradle worth,
Clear as the sun when mirrored in the blue of the Moray Firth.

It was no city resplendent, just one long lengthening street,
From the Top-of-the-Road descending to where the waters meet,
The rocks with the tangles abounding and the dulse, delicious, sweet.

Then I gazed on each house when passing, the houses I knew of old,
For I own that their forms still charmed me more than ever was told,
For deep in my heart I have kept them, traced in letters of gold.

But they, like the old school standing, were peopled with strangers to me,
For the faces that peeped from the doorways, and this is a changeless decree
In the village wherein I was cradled, are as curious still, you see.

So on I passed to the wild rocks where the sweeping braes go down,
They had not changed or altered, and the patches of gold and brown
Spoke to my heart and whispered, 'This is your old home town.''

But somehow my thoughts kept roaming away o'er the years long fled,
And I saw from a creek go seaward, clearing the bluff South Head,
Each fishing boat with its brown sail, billowing out and spread.

They were speeding again to the offing where the silvery herring abound,
Their gunwales awash with the white foam, outstripping the speed of the hound,
And the hissing spray from their sharp prows falling in showers around.

And the sun went down and the vision passed and I was all alone,
I had been dreaming and thinking of days long past and gone,
But the heart of the poet is ever the fishers' memory stone.

trinkie
09-Dec-11, 16:52
J.R. was moved to wax lyrical !

Come back to Caithness
by J.R.
From John O Groat Journal 1932

A SONG .

Come back to the Mitherland
Come back to Caithness
Come for a waft o' her heather an whun
Lie in her shady neuks
Wander her lazy brooks,
Rest in her shielings when the long day is done.

Come when the icicles
Cling roon' the easings
Come when the lang summer days mak' ye tan
A welcome for strangers
A greeting to rangers
Kind welcome for exiles where their life first began.

'Bide by her rocky shore
'Bide by her heather hills
Caithness is wishing each daughter and son
At close of life's gambol
And after life's ramble
To rest in her bosom when life's race is run.

Come to the mitherland
Come back to Caithness
Come for a waft o' her heather an' whun
Lie in her shady neuks
Wander her lazy brooks
Rest in her shielings when the land day is done.

trinkie
10-Dec-11, 09:32
I was reminded of this article written in 1950, where Robert MacKay is reminiscing too.
He writes under the heading ...

PROGRESS

There are not many alive today who remembers the old Cruisie Lamp, or to give it it's
Caithness name, the 'Goose Neb' so called by its design. Yes this was all the light the people had a hundred years ago. Candles came at a later date and then the paraffin lamp which was later superseded by gas light and later still by electricity. A flick of a switch and there you have instant light. How dark our great grandfathers' homes must have been with the flickering light from a cruisie! I wonder do you ever think of them when you switch on? Yet by the light of the cruisie, candle and paraffin lamp, many great things were achieved. Books and poems of the highest order were written by these lights of a past age. Inventors, doctors, ministers, all rich and poor prayed or danced by these three lights. Remember that, my friends, next time you switch on, and also remember that our grandfathers and grandmothers had to make their own entertainment. There was not even a gramophone, far less a wireless or TV set. But with a good piper and fiddler they were far happier than we, despite all our modern advancement.

Written by Robert MacKay the Caithness Violinist. c. 1950

Mosser
10-Dec-11, 16:35
Hi Gleeber, we too had all mod cons. No hot water or bath of course, that came later. I think my grannie in Pulteney had electricity in the mid 30s but the little gas lights were still on the wall. Do you remember the fragile mesh-like covers. We were never allowed to touch them.
Our friends in Thrumster had electricity in the 40s, but only switched the light on to find the candles .
Am I imagining it, or do I remember the street Gas Lights in Breadalbane in the 40s ? I might be wrong.
What changes electricity must have made to our community and we were made to be aware it was not to be wasted, especially in the home.

We had all mod cons in our council house but we had a wall mounted gas light in the kitchen with the brilliant Veritas mantle, it was great during power cuts and I was always disappointed when the electric came back on. My Father worked at the building of the power station chimney, it was quite a land mark.

Mosser

Neil Howie
10-Dec-11, 22:19
It took the fishermen from June 21 to July 6 to produce the quantity required – 83,334 crans

Now that's overfishing for you...

Corrie 3
10-Dec-11, 22:26
What a lovely thread, thanks a lot Trinkie, brought back many memories for me.

C3.............:)

Moira
11-Dec-11, 00:22
What a great thread Trinkie.

The time-line was before my time but I fnd it fascinating all the same. :)

trinkie
11-Dec-11, 10:47
Glad you are enjoying this - I seem to have time to 'look back.''
This caught my eye because my grandfather had been Purser on the St Ola at the end of 1890s.
I've put a link at the bottom of the page, you can see a picture .

c.1950 written by Herbert Sinclair

Sixty Years A Queen – Almost

In the days of my youth, I think it was Sir Herbert Maxwell who wrote Queen Victoria’s “Sixty Years a Queen,” The title came back to my mind when I was chatting over the telephone with Scrabster’s harbour-master, Captain Mackenzie, who by the way is no mean photographer. There was a bit of sadness in his voice as he talked to me about the “St Ola,” just after her last departure from the harbour. “Ay, a stout ship and stout hearts within her. She weathered the storms and the wars, sometimes she couldn’t make it , as we sailors say, but the Pentland rides must have had great respect for that gallant little ship, the mention of whose name must evoke tender memories to countless Orcadians in particular. The men who built her are not worrying about time or tides. Of course, we’ve this new boat to take her place and so the name will live on, but when I talk about the “St Ola,” my mind will be with the dauntless vessel that battled her way through storms and flowing tides as few vessels would dare ...... but with men on the bridge, like Captain Swanson and Banks, well, she made port safely. A wonderful record, a wonderful attachment amongst Northern people now scattered throughout the world. Thus spoke the Captain. And though some newspaper reports state the “St Ola’s” last voyage would be to the ship breaking yard, a man round Scrabster told me she had been sold either to the Belgians or the Greeks, most probably to the latter who years ago bought the old “St Ola” when she was withdrawn from the Leith, Aberdeen, Caithness and Orkney service. If I remember, too, the “St Fergus,” that old Wick tramp went to the Greeks, who are so keen that a Jew born in Aberdeen would be wiped out by them! Oldtime sailing ships of the Port of Wick were mainly successful, and their skipper-owners were great sailors. It was bad management, they tell me, which spelt failure for the liners, “Redwing,” “Lapwing” and “Fleetwing,” long before the advert of the first steam drifters into Wick. “The Susie Ross” and “The Peep o’ Day.” My finger tips have made my mind stray back to the early days of the “St Ola,” and when the day comes that the new vessel also has to make way for something more in keeping with the days ahead, when new inventions may make present ideas as obsolete as the sailing ships....../ when the day comes, may the new ship go out with the glory that has enshrouded the name of her predecessor.

you'll find a picture here - Trinkie

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/NorthCo.html#anchor239340

trinkie
12-Dec-11, 08:50
This interesting snippet comes from The Chronicle 1847 ! Gleeber one for you I think.

Improvements in Thurso

One far northern little town, upon the whole, presents rather a neat and clean appearance, perhaps not to be equalled with any of it size north of Edinburgh – thanks to our commissioners of police for this, and to our own pockets together! We have got our streets nicely lighted too, with gas, as well as being named, some of them by the way require renewing. Having such extensive flag works so close at hand, our streets of course are paved up and down. Some parts of the “Fisher Biggins” however we must say proves an exception to the general state of the rest of the town. We would advise them to take this hint, and, keep their part of the town, cleaner than they are in the habit of doing, which would add much to their own comfort. There are two very necessary improvements which we would like to see added to the general list, and these are, a proper Fish Market, and the formation of a Water Company, for the purpose of supplying the town with water through pipes. But we will recur again to this subject in a future number. Who knows but our Most Gracious Queen in her anticipated visit very soon to Dunrobin, may deign to favour her most loyal subjects of this our ancient burgh, and the most northern one in her dominions, with her august presence! In case of such an event taking place, we should be up and doing!

trinkie
13-Dec-11, 09:51
Another from the Caithness Chronicle 1847

Alteration in the Mail

By a new arrangement the Mail shall commence on Sabbath first, the 4th inst., to arrive in Wick at seven minutes past 10 in the morning; and in Thurso at 29 minutes past 12. It will leave Thurso for the south at 16 minutes past 1 pm arriving in Wick at 41 minutes past 3. By this arrangement the good folks of Thurso will have their letters nearly 8 hours earlier than before, but owing to the short time the coach remains, only 47 minutes, we will be receiving our letters when the coach is half way to Wick, and consequently cannot answer them by return of same post. Nearly an hour, in the present arrangement, is occupied in sorting the letters previous to delivery being made. This change of the mail reminds us of the story of an Irishman and his blanket, which on his finding it too short, and for the purpose of lengthening it, cut a piece off one end and joined it to the other! Instead of this new arrangement being of any benefit to us, by receiving our letters 8 hours earlier, we will be thrown 8 hours behind the present time the mail is dispatched. A petition should immediately be got up representing the grievance to the Post Office authorities, who we have no doubt will see it proper to make the necessary alteration.

trinkie
13-Dec-11, 09:58
Following on from the above- it had to be this poem by Castlegreen c. 1950
One of my favourites. I can remember Willie Wilson the County Architect reciting
this in many a village hall, to the delight of the audience who clapped and asked for MORE !!

THE POST OFFICE . by Castlegreen

( Scene – a country post-office in Caithness. The Post Mistress speaks .)

'E meils is aafil leite 'e nicht,
They've niver been as leite afore.
Come in ower, Cheordie, till 'e fire -
Hid's cowld oot 'ere aside 'e door.

Wan o' ye loons get up at wance !
Ye'd sit an see yur elders stan'!
Sit doon 'ere now an gies yur crack;
An' fits been happ'nan till yur han'?

Poozhaned! Wi' leid! Weel, tak' ye care!
Notheen's more poozh'ner nor white leid!
A mind a ceise in Week lek 'at,
Inside twa days 'e chiel wis deid !

Iv coorse, ye michtna dee lek 'at
Bit all 'e same ye canna tell!
Och, Mrs Gunn, A'm no so bad,
An' how're ye haddan' till'd yursel?

Alickie, get me twa-r-three peits,
An' Wullie, pit ye 'e calfies in,
A'm thinkan' we'll hev rain 'e nicht,
A dinna lek 'at soachan' win'.

A'm 'at sore trauchled ivenow,
A hardly ken richt far A am.
Hey, Chock, ya Saatan, off 'at ceise !
'At's fill o' chars o' marmlad cham !

'At's Cheemag Calder's owldest chiel,
An' lek hees faither , gey ill-tricked!
Aye, A hed Cheemag in 'e day
He mad' me buy a raffle tickad.

Oh loard be here ! Fit's happened now ?
Can ye yowng chiels no sit at piece?
Ye hoart yur knee? Weel, 'at's yur weichts !
A telt ye till get off 'at ceise !

A richt good loogard's fit ye need,
Ya moniments till stop yur gees !
Sit ye doon 'ere an' had yur wheesht -
An' cheise 'at cat off 'e cheese !

Fa achts 'iss sookid black-stripped ball?
Hid's made 'iss cheir all smoored an' sticky .
Ye loons should no be here at all,
G'way oot an' play at skibbilickie!

Och aye, A hed 'e cowld all richt!
By faigs, A hed a gey good doze o'd !
Is 'at 'e car A'm hearan now
Or Wullie chooglan' in 'e closad ?

Aye, 'at's 'e rattle o' 'e car

Is she no coman' at 'e dirl ?
A niver traivelled in 'ur masel,
They're sayan' ye get a richt fine hurl .

She's fairly stottan' on 'e rod,
By faigs, they'll hev till had thur hatties,
Wullie come ye an' get 'e bag
An' Alickie, ye pit on 'e tatties .

An' fit came' at yur car 'e nicht ?
Ye hed a brak-doon ! Hed ye though ?
Weel, we can sympathise wi ye,
We canna get wur clock till go.

Losh, 'at's a richt beeg seck 'e nicht !
Be canny man, an' no get hoarted,
Ootside, ye shither, ivenow !
We hev till get 'e letters soarted.

Now snib 'e doolr an' pul' e' blin'
An' en we'll tak' 'e post-cairds first,
See if there's wan for Cheannie Chack,
She's oot 'ere pechan lek till burst !

Aye, here id is! Och, niver leit!
He's feird he'll no be ower iss week,
He says he has a beilan' toe
A peety 'at an hur fair seek !

Here's wan for Dan – wi love fae M -
'Ats fae 'e weedow, yon bowld limmer !
A windered fir wis in 'e win
Fan Dannie bocht 'e bike last simmer !

'Ere's notheen else o' intrest 'ere,
Chist advertisements, lock o' trock!
'E letters now, an hurry up,
Hid's gettan on for six o- clock.

Here's wan for Cheordie Bain fae Leith,
A'll warran' ye at 'ats fae Sanny,
Ye'll lekly hev till read 'ur till'm
So see an mind id all, ma mannie !

Now, 'at's a bonnie han' o write !
Fae London – fancy 'at - till Chinnad !
She's gey weel glued – bit 'at's a heit
A'll ask 'e bairns 'e moarn fit'd in id.

An' iss is Maggie's People's Freen'
Maggie's a gran han' at 'e readan,
Hark at 'at loons ! If A come oot
A'll gie ye slooans fit yur needan !

An' fit aboot 'e parcels now ?
See's 'at beeg boxie in 'e coarner!
Canny, man, dinna cloor 'e thing,
Now Wullie, look at 'at ! Ye've toarn 'ur !

For Mrs Fracher – bliss ma sowl !
A spleet new hat far Budge 'e draper,
Och, had yur towngue ! A'll pit ur back
They'll noor ken she's been oot 'e paiper .

Aye, Bella Fracher, up-till-date,
Ye're far ower owld for sich a hat !
'Ats 'e new style they call ''Hallo''
Ye'll gluff 'e very beyce we' at !

An' reid – wi' yur owld yallow feice !
Aye Bella, A ken all yur tricks,
For here's e invice – half a croon !
Ye'll tell us hid wis twel an' six.

Aye, open 'e door, we're feenished noo,
Come eisy in, boys, dinna warsle,
Aye Bee, there's sometheen' here, A think
Twa letters for ye - wan's a parcel .

'Ats yurs an yurs and yurs an yurs !
Now Wullie, heiste ye wi' e baggie,
See an' get roon' as queek's ye can,
An dinna weiste yur time on Maggie !

Look at ' at cat up 'ere again !
If A could catch ye wance ma Jeddy !
Weel, weel, 'ats twunty meenads up -
Alickie, is 'e tatties ready ?

trinkie
15-Dec-11, 09:42
From the Session Book of Canisbay :-

''Dec. 20, 1657 – The people of Stroma, being oft rebukekd for profaning the Lord's Day, and enacted straitlie for ye observation theirof in a more holie way, under paine to undergo the censure of the Session if they contravened, and now some of them delated for fplaying at the football and danseing on the Sabbath, ar ordained to stand in the joggs, ane of them in tyme of ye lecture, another in tyme of ye sermone.''

''March 4, 1660 – Item, Jon.Geddes, Younger , in Mey, ordained to be charged for snuffing in tyme of singing of ye Psalmes to ye praise of God.''

From the Session Book of Thurso :-

April 29, 1663 – Donald Gunne, puper in Reay, being summoned, called, and compaired, was appointed to stand in sack-cloth for pypping at Lykewakes, and saying that if all the pypers in Caithness would goe to hell he would goe with them.''

trinkie
16-Dec-11, 10:12
The John O Groat Journal 1923.

A small extract from the article headed 'The Passing Year'

''The Sea.
Nineteen-hundred-and-twenty-three has been a year which, in the history of the northern counties of Caithness and Sutherland, can only be referred to as a memorable twelvemonth – the like of which has not been experienced within living memory. Ushered in as a year of promise – promise of a successful fishing, promise of a bounteous harvest, promise of our workless earning wages, promise of better business conditions – it is now drawing to a close with all its promises unfulfilled and to be for ever stamped as a year of deep disappointment and failure. With the exception of the month of March, storm has followed storm in regular succession, with the result that the harvest of the fields, as well as of the sea, has suffered seriously. With our two chief industries – fishing and agriculture – so hardly hit the winter outlook in the norther counties is depressing, and we can only give expression to the hope that the period will be somehow successfully tided over and that better things are in store for the people in the year to follow.''

a few pages on John Horne gives some of his favourite quotations ---

''The first is from Marcus Aurelius, the last Pagan Emporer. He says ''Let what will come, I can receive no damage by it, unless I think it a calamity; and it is in my power to think it none, if I have a mind to it.'' This has proved to me a very buoyant philosophy.

The second quotation is a trifle Stoical, yet it comes from a great and good Christian ruler. When Circumstance battered the breath momentarily out of Abraham Lincoln, and he was stunned, he comforted himself saying '' This too will pass.''

I do not know who is the author of my third favourite quotation and somehow, I dont want to know. I cut it from a newspaper.

''The happiest heart that ever beat
Was in some humble breast
That found the common daylight sweet
And left to Heaven the rest.''

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.
And many thanks to my good Caithness friend who sent me the Groats.!
Trinkie

George Brims
16-Dec-11, 20:37
That postmistress poem is brilliant. I even managed to understand about 99% of it. I wonder how many people in Caithness still speak as intense a version of the dialect as that. I should read it out loud to my Mrs. She's from Inversnecky, and will probably not understand a word!

Moira
18-Dec-11, 19:52
<snip> I wonder how many people in Caithness still speak as intense a version of the dialect as that........!

I would guess not many George, at least not in the normal course of a day. There are a few, however, who can and do speak the real dialect on special occasions. It's a delight to hear them!

Trinkie, please keep these snippets coming. I'll have more time to read and digest your links when I'm on holiday over Christmas. Thank you.

squidge
19-Dec-11, 08:18
What a lovely thread Trinkie. Im so enjoying it :)