PDA

View Full Version : The crown estate(s) - a question

David Banks
05-Dec-11, 16:55
From a thread a year or two ago, I remember being told that the entire proceeds of the UK crown estate(s) went to the government.

Now, with budget cutting, I hear their majesties may have to dip into the profits of the crown estate(s).

To me this just sounds like an accounting trick to maintain funding for the royals, while the politicians can say:
- we are cutting the amount paid to the royal family
- but, of course, they have every "right" to income from the crown estate(s)

Or, am I missing some information.
I'm sure someone will correct any misconceptions I have.
Thank you ORG.

Nick Noble
05-Dec-11, 17:14
I don't know what you have heard regarding funding the royals, but details are here :

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/Sourcesoffunding/Grant-in-Aid.aspx

There is a new Coastal Communities Fund that has been set up to provide funding to coastal communities, this will be disbursing 50% of the marine revenues of the crown estate to coastal communities around the UK.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/press_86_11.htm

4. The fund will be directly linked to the revenue raised in each country. In April 2012 the fund will be broken down as follows:

2010-11
Total CE Marine revenues in £m
50% of CE Marine revenues in £m

England

£36.4
£18.2

Scottish Highlands and Islands
£3.7
£1.85

Rest of Scotland
£4.1
£2.05

Wales
£2.3
£1.15

N. Ireland
£0.9
£0.45

TOTAL
£47.4
£23.7

looks like a good idea to me.

RecQuery
05-Dec-11, 17:27
Why do they have a right to the 'Crown Estate(s)' just because their ancestors happened to beat up a few people or convince others to beat them up? That's no system upon which to determine land ownership.

Nick Noble
05-Dec-11, 17:42
Why do they have a right to the 'Crown Estate(s)' just because their ancestors happened to beat up a few people or convince others to beat them up? That's no system upon which to determine land ownership.

They don't have any rights to the Crown Estates, the Crown estates are managed by an independent body on behalf of the government.

From http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/Royalfinances/CrownEstatesxyz.aspx

The Crown Estate is not the personal property of the Monarch. It cannot be sold by the Monarch, nor do any profits from it go to the Sovereign.
The Crown Estate is managed by an independent organisation, headed by a Board, and any profits from the Estate is paid every year to the Treasury for the benefit of all UK taxpayers. The Treasury is effectively the principle Government stakeholder and is kept informed of the estate’s overall business plans and strategies.

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/about-us/

Errogie
05-Dec-11, 18:37
Let all the revenue from English coastal waters and seabed go to England and what is derived from Scotland stay with the this country preferably with the local authority in whose area any development falls.

We have very little control over what the unelected "Commissioners" decide to do in our waters, they don't even have to apply for planning permission and any so called consultation is a hollow sham. How many "Commissioners" are from the Highlands and know anything about the area. I could back Clarkson on this one, bring out the tumbrels!

RecQuery
05-Dec-11, 22:10
Almost sounds as bad as the City of London corporation.

David Banks
06-Dec-11, 07:57
Even the Royal Family is feeling the financial pinch these days, with the Queen's income to be frozen until 2015, according to reports.
From £38.3 milion ($60.7 million Cdn) of taxpayers' money in 2008, the Queen's pay has effectively fallen each year.
By 2013, that will be down to £30 million ($47.5 million).
Back in 1991-02, the Queen got £77.3 millon ($122 million) in taxpayer funding to cover household expenses.
The financial freeze is expected to mean delays to repairs to royal palaces.
Under a new financial arrangement, the Queen will get 15 per cent of the profit from the Crown Estate, the sovereign's £7 billion ($11.09 billion) in real estate holdings, including Regent Street, Windsor Great Park and 50 per cent of the country's coastline.
The cap on income for the royal finances means there will be no surplus cash to cover the court of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The Sunday Times reported that the cost of staff for William and Kate will continue to be paid by the Prince of Wales.
The Telegraph reported that Buckingham Palace is expected to increase efforts to make money from commercial sources, or to cut back on Royal Family appearances.

Errogie
06-Dec-11, 11:56
Well I suppose the French showed everyone how to make the ultimate cut back in royal appearances!

golach
06-Dec-11, 12:01
Well I suppose the French showed everyone how to make the ultimate cut back in royal appearances!

But the French smell of garlic and have Nicolas Sarkozy, do you want that? [lol]

Errogie
06-Dec-11, 16:39
Golach I might even be able to forgive our politicians some of their incompetence if they could be more entertaining in their marital indiscretions along the same lines as their French and Italian counterparts. Garlic is good for you and not in my opinion as bad as stale beer and fags on the breath but each to their own.

golach
06-Dec-11, 16:45
Golach I might even be able to forgive our politicians some of their incompetence if they could be more entertaining in their marital indiscretions along the same lines as their French and Italian counterparts. Garlic is good for you and not in my opinion as bad as stale beer and fags on the breath but each to their own.

But french wimen have hairy oxters too [lol]

Errogie
06-Dec-11, 22:23
I bow to your anatomical and anthropological knowledge!