PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrows weather warning.

Tugmistress
25-Oct-06, 11:11
High winds, heavy rain, real risk of the already full rivers/streams flooding and the drainage system not being able to cope.

the official bit from here (http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alerts;reg=1;sess=; ) .......

Yet another low will move up from Biscay, moving across Ireland later today then deepening as it moves NE across Scotland during Thursday and exiting over the North Sea during the afternoon with a forecast central pressure as low as 976 mb.

Strong NE to NW winds are forecast during Thursday afternoon and evening as the low deepens and exits over the North Sea, winds could reach gale or severe gale force over high ground and coastal areas (though not exclusively) of Scotland and Northern England. The far North/North East of Scotland and the Northern Isles could see sustained winds of 45-60 mph for a time Thursday afternoon and evening, with gusts reaching 70-80 mph, elsewhere sustained winds of 30-40 mph with gusts to 50-60 mph are possible. With trees still in leaf, there is the risk of some damage along with other minor damage, high seas may also pose a problem where high winds and high tides co-incide.

Also ... heavy rain moving North ahead of the low is also likely to affect Western and Northern areas of the UK over the next 24-36 hours, in particular Wales, Northern England, Northern Ireland and Scotland - where up to 30-40mm is possible ... note that recent rain has lead to high river volumes in some areas, particularly Scotland, and further rain may lead to over-topping in places.

Ricco
25-Oct-06, 11:38
Ahh, nothing like a quick dunk in the Bay of Biscuit, Tuggs. Mmmm! ;)

j4bberw0ck
25-Oct-06, 12:43
Lovely. And there's me waiting for Building Control to inspect the canal system known optimistically as the drainage system tracks at the house I'm building. The soakaway is a swimming pool, the ground is so wet it's almost made the digger unusable, and another 40mm on the way?

Tugmistress, have you any good news, please?

Your sincerely

A Long Suffering House Builder

:lol: :lol:

highlander
25-Oct-06, 13:12
Thank you Tuggs for the weather warnings, but when i have been to your website lately, it is not showing the wind speed, also can you tell me, is the wind going to be as bad as Nov 19th 2005 (Im sure that was the date) because we had a lot of damage done here and wanted to know is things going to get that bad? I was in hospital at the time, and remember hearing that the wind was that bad, schools and staff from Dounreay were being sent home.

saxovtr
25-Oct-06, 13:17
i just folded the deck chairs away must get em bk oot so a can float aboot the garden lol

mccaugm
25-Oct-06, 13:38
Thank you Tuggs for the weather warnings, but when i have been to your website lately, it is not showing the wind speed, also can you tell me, is the wind going to be as bad as Nov 19th 2005 (Im sure that was the date) because we had a lot of damage done here and wanted to know is things going to get that bad? I was in hospital at the time, and remember hearing that the wind was that bad, schools and staff from Dounreay were being sent home.

I remember that time as well, my family had just moved up to Caithness a couple of weeks earlier. The 6th/7th November was also horrendous as I recall. We had moved up on the 4th and I remember feeling very unnerved by it all.

Piglet
25-Oct-06, 13:59
Ah well i have just bought new umbrellas for the kids so they will be delighted they can use them. LoL thats if they dinna float away.

Tugmistress
25-Oct-06, 14:16
Hi Highlander
firstly my apologies about the windspeed on my site, the anemomter has stopped working and until i can get someone to come up here with a teleporter and man cage i can't get it down to fix it and i ain't going up a ladder unless i got 2 people holding it -and the one i have borrowed still isn't long enough at 20 ft anyway lol. It is just a case of all the damp and rain has got into it and i need to dry it out for 24 hours, clean and re waterproof it for the winter ...... so anyone with a teleporter and man cage willing to nip up for tn minutes i would be most grateful ;)

the wind,
yes i think it may reach the odd gust as high, but it will be from a different direction. if i remember rightly the wind you are on about was from the north west, tomorrows will be from the east to begin with and then swing to the north east for the worst bit.

Hi j4bberw0ck,
to be perfectly honest, you are going to need your waterproofs for the next week with the odd respite, the longest dry looking period is going to be sunday - sorry :(

Billy Boy
25-Oct-06, 14:21
thank's for the warning lol,not as good as moray firth radio's weather forcast, i couldn't beleve when they said here's yesterday's weather which we all know,and you will get today's weather at the sametime tomorrow,now isn't that a good idea :eek: [lol]

Tugmistress
25-Oct-06, 14:25
hehe it would give them a 100% record of getting it right though ;)

hobbes1962
25-Oct-06, 15:16
I'm fed up of the rain now. When is the snow coming????:lol:

Tugmistress
25-Oct-06, 17:14
i wish i knew but it'll warm up again next week lol

kas
25-Oct-06, 17:22
Cheers Paula, although not what we want to hear. Trust it to be from that direction. We are expecting our roof felt to be damaged.

JAWS
25-Oct-06, 18:47
I'm fed up of the rain now. When is the snow coming????:lol:Don't joke, it may be as soon as Friday afternoon.

Tugmistress
25-Oct-06, 20:13
not a hope jaws, upper air temp too mild for any snow. if you can spot the -5 dam line then that is the minimum we need for snow at this location and even then it will melt quickly, you're better off midway between the -5 and -10 dam lines :)

flash
26-Oct-06, 09:51
well done tuggs, spot on as usual

orkneylass
26-Oct-06, 13:57
Spot on for Orkney too - worst flooding in the 12 years we have lived here and got sent home from work because Victoria Street in central Kirkwall looks like a Venetian canal. Several major roads now closed and apparently the winds are going to get worse????? About a force 9 just now - horrible!

JAWS
26-Oct-06, 15:43
not a hope jaws, upper air temp too mild for any snow. if you can spot the -5 dam line then that is the minimum we need for snow at this location and even then it will melt quickly, you're better off midway between the -5 and -10 dam lines :)
Found the -5 OK. Duh! It's a bit further North than here. I'll have to find another site for my Weather Forecasts in future.

grumpyhippo
26-Oct-06, 15:53
This link might give a little something to cheers us up

http://videodetective.com/default.asp?frame=http://videodetective.com/home.asp?PublishedID=1268

Kingetter
26-Oct-06, 19:55
This off the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=4889

Wizzbang
27-Oct-06, 05:13
Wish I had a camera with me there are some huge swells out here. (North sea)

Kaishowing
27-Oct-06, 06:34
Not good news!!
Fingers crossed all are found safe and well.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6090094.stm

Lavenderblue2
27-Oct-06, 07:20
This link might give a little something to cheers us up

http://videodetective.com/default.asp?frame=http://videodetective.com/home.asp?PublishedID=1268

What a lovely start to my day grumpyhippo - thank you!

LB :)