PDA

View Full Version : High-speed Ethernet technology to be introduced in Wick

secrets in symmetry
03-Dec-11, 16:45
I've just read this story in the online Groat: High-speed Ethernet technology to be introduced in Wick (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/High-speed-Ethernet-technology-to-be-introduced-in-Wick-25112011.htm)

A NEW high-speed communications network is being expanded to Wick, it has been announced.

BT broadband services in the town will be upgraded to introduce Ethernet technology in the spring.

This will allow businesses and other organisations to opt for the guaranteed broadband speed of their choice over their own dedicated line.

BT Scotland director Brendan Dick said Ethernet is an important part of Scotland’s communications story and believes its expansion will benefit broadband users greatly.

"Its arrival in Wick will be attractive to potential inward investors and help local businesses work and communicate more effectively," he said.

"It can also help public-sector organisations run even more efficient networks, saving money and protecting public services.

"Ethernet gives organisations the ability to connect to their sites and customers locally, around the UK and internationally on an extremely secure and reliable network."

Does anyone know what is planned?

Ethernet generally runs over LANs, not WANs, so surely they aren't planning to dig up pavements all over Wick and install standard 1000BASE-T cabling, although I suppose you could run LX, LX10, BX10 (or similar) cabling down every street in the town.

Or is the plan more modest, and restricted to businesses in the town centre?

I would guess that RecQuery might know.

Nick Noble
03-Dec-11, 17:26
here's the BT announcement about this : http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid={2d8cbf80-fcbe-4f10-9124-7d9bd30fc489}

and BT's product page : http://www.btwholesale-inspire.com/products2/data/ethernet

secrets in symmetry
03-Dec-11, 18:01
Thanks Nick. The PDF on the BT product page was useful - there's little information on how it's to be implemented physically, although I don't suppose most people care!

gillsbay
03-Dec-11, 18:21
I expect that this will be EFM (Ethernet first mile) which uses the normal telephone cables to connect people who are sufficiently close to the exchange, don't know if 1 mile is strictly the limit though. They also do a version using wireless to the exchange which has a range of 5km (about 3miles), in either case this then feeds into the exchange backhaul.

secrets in symmetry
03-Dec-11, 19:05
That's plausible, likely even. Some people (especially me!) often think "ethernet cabling" when they should be thinking "ethernet protocols". I suppose you could offer a fancy sounding ethernet service using EFM to the exchange without any new cabling, and without very fast speeds.

weezer 316
05-Dec-11, 14:02
Possibly extended ethernet? Believe it or not (this might not be the case now) but none other than Mogadishu, which doesnt even have a govt, has the worlds most extensive extended ethernet network! BT be damned!

RecQuery
05-Dec-11, 15:09
I think I mentioned this before on one of these broadband threads but as I understand it: The maximum range is about 4km but the further you get from the exchange, the higher the price and the slower the speed.

There's usually an installation fee but some companies waive those. Obviously this changes depending on the company etc but as a quick guide:

1Mb/s
Install - £840
Monthly - £175

5Mb/s
Install - £1150
Monthly - £260

8Mb/s
Install - £1320
Monthly - £310

10Mb/s
Install - £1475
Monthly - £350

All speeds are symmetrical and there's no usage policy.

secrets in symmetry
06-Dec-11, 00:59
10Mb/s
Install - £1475
Monthly - £350

All speeds are symmetrical and there's no usage policy.
10Mb/s is a touch pricey! That's a lot of money for symmetry!

RecQuery
06-Dec-11, 08:58
10Mb/s is a touch pricey! That's a lot of money for symmetry!

Yeah probably still cheaper than some MPLS stuff or leased lines though, those prices were just from one ISP also others might be cheaper. I'm assuming the planned ADSL2 upgrades to the exchanges are still taking place sometimes between January 2012 and March 2012 also.

Mrs Bucket
07-Dec-11, 12:33
Could someone go back to basics and explain in plain english why such high prices and for what exactly. Thanks :eek: