PDA

View Full Version : What is it this time?

grumpyhippo
02-Dec-11, 23:49
Had this individual visit our garden feeders today not certain what it is but looking through my RSPB book the best guestimate is an Arctic Redpoll which would make it pretty rare. No doubt I'll be corrected, but it would be a nice thought anyway.

Kenn
03-Dec-11, 10:57
I'm inclinded to agree with you from the colour of the beak and the eye marks, they are a vagrant that does turn up here,
Not seen a redpoll of any sort for about 3 yrs!

Scunner
03-Dec-11, 12:18
I found a dead one in he garden a few weeks ago, and was mistified. Thanks for photo

nirofo
04-Dec-11, 17:56
I think it's possible it may be a Greenland Redpoll, do you have any more photos we could see.

grumpyhippo
05-Dec-11, 10:06
Thanks Nirofo, I have this one from yesterday, conditions were pretty awful with dull conditions and lots of wind. There were two on the nyger feeder so I guess that the Greenland redpoll is more likely since other sites suggest the Arctic is the less common.

nirofo
05-Dec-11, 17:37
Yes, I'm still inclined towards Greenland Redpoll, it appears from the photos to have most of the right characteristics, although the darker version of Iceland cannot be ruled out entirely. Photos can be notoriously deceiving, however, I'm fairly sure from the photos it isn't an Arctic, it has very few of the characteristics of that species. If the bird is still around try and get a few shots from various angles if you can.

nirofo.

Kenn
06-Dec-11, 20:08
How many sub species are there of the Redpoll nirofo ?
My bird book only lists one although winds from the direction we've had of late I would not be surprised at a bird being blown across from Greenland.

nirofo
06-Dec-11, 21:07
How many sub species are there of the Redpoll nirofo ?
My bird book only lists one although winds from the direction we've had of late I would not be surprised at a bird being blown across from Greenland.

Hi LIZZ

The main ones that are likely to occur in th UK are Lesser Redpoll (Carduelis cabaret) our normal breeder, Mealy or Common Redpoll (Carduelis flammea) the nominate race, Icelandic Redpoll (Carduelis islandica), Greenland Redpoll (Carduelis rostrata), and Arctic Redpoll (Carduelis hornemanni). There are other sub species just to confuse the issue.

nirofo.

Kenn
06-Dec-11, 22:34
Many thanks nirofo will have to do some research now!