PDA

View Full Version : Postal Order?

pirateeye
02-Dec-11, 20:42
Hello. I'm having a clear out...put one or two things on ebay...but have been offered postal order as method of payment instead of paypal. I have never used/done this before so thought i'd ask if anyone could inform me what it involves...I have no idea. Is there any costs involved or is it simple?

Thank you:)

starfish
02-Dec-11, 20:46
theres no cost to the you , but my advice is do not send anything off till you have the money in your hand if not they are not paying through pay pal.

TAFKAL
02-Dec-11, 20:48
What starfish says - and also make sure you have the actual cash not the PO as they can be cancelled...

Wick Fix
02-Dec-11, 20:49
No cost to you. Postal orders are like cash. Just take to the post office and they will exchange for cash.

If they are crossed you may need to put into bank but beware!!! They can take the bank upto a month to clear.

They are usually used by people without cheque accounts.

Ask the post office for more details. Absolutely no cost to you though.

:)

pirateeye
02-Dec-11, 20:51
So how do I get the money? Do I need to take something to the post office to be able to collect? What is involved from start to finish? Never done it before.
Is it better just to be a little mean and refuse, to stick with Paypal?

rich62_uk
02-Dec-11, 20:56
The person who has bought your item sends you a voucher called a postal order that you just hand over at the post office and they give you the cash. Unless it is a crossed postal order (has two vertical lines) in which case you need to hand it into your bank and it clears just like a cheque. Once you have the money in your hand/bank account then and only then send off the goods.

pirateeye
02-Dec-11, 21:11
ok brilliant thanks a lot. greatful for the replies thank you

George Brims
02-Dec-11, 21:26
This is a bit suspicious. I would definitely NOT ship anything until you get the money in your hand. Even then you can still have trouble. Sometimes people using POs or cheques will send you too much money and then ask you to return the difference. Then the check turns out to be fake or they cancel it, then you're out the extra money and the product you sent. As a result of various bad experiences, we don't even accept bids from people without PayPal accounts, or from foreign countries.

Rheghead
02-Dec-11, 21:29
theres no cost to the you , but my advice is do not send anything off till you have the money in your hand if not they are not paying through pay pal.

To get a postal order you must have handed over money in the first place, so it is just as good as cash unless you think the GPO will default on exchanging it for cash?

sids
02-Dec-11, 21:29
Tell them you want it not crossed.

Get cash for it from the Post Office.

Send the item.

DeHaviLand
03-Dec-11, 11:45
This is a bit suspicious. I would definitely NOT ship anything until you get the money in your hand. Even then you can still have trouble. Sometimes people using POs or cheques will send you too much money and then ask you to return the difference. Then the check turns out to be fake or they cancel it, then you're out the extra money and the product you sent. As a result of various bad experiences, we don't even accept bids from people without PayPal accounts, or from foreign countries.

Absolute rubbish George, that simply cant happen with a postal order.

TAFKAL
03-Dec-11, 12:07
Absolute rubbish George, that simply cant happen with a postal order.

Actually it can. Crossed POs can be cancelled. Check out the post office website...