PDA

View Full Version : Trapped nerves HELP

paris
24-Oct-06, 18:45
Hi all, Does anyone know the procedure for the op on trapped nerves in the neck. My hubby has had this for 7 weeks now and is in terrible pain and his hand has gone numb. Hes been to the hospital 4 times now, had 2 x-rays and his GP has now booked for an emergency MRI scan, ( thats a laugh...got to wait about 4 weeks ) The GP has got him on morphine patches and tramadol and diazipam so as you can imagine hes out of it most of the time. Its all about waiting as the nhs is in deep need of more funds so we all just have to put up with these things :~( .Just hoping one of you out there can give us some info which the DR doesn't. any ideas????? jan x

j4bberw0ck
24-Oct-06, 20:00
I sympathise. You might consider a chiropractor - but a good one. Your GP will pooh-pooh the idea like mad and I'd be pretty sure the treatment will hurt, but I have been helped by a chiropractor in the past.

My trapped nerves were nothing like as bad as your hubby's sound like, though they were in the neck, anyway.

percy toboggan
24-Oct-06, 20:05
I had a trapped nerve in my groin thirty years ago. It lasted for a few months. The stabbing pains, when they came, were absolute torture.Like I'd imagine a sharp knife, with a rough blade plunging deep.
Good luck.

danc1ngwitch
24-Oct-06, 20:15
Ewwww, sounds very painful, hope u find something that will ease this.. x

Ann
24-Oct-06, 23:35
A chiropractor comes up to Bridgend clinic in Thurso every week. His name is Richard and he sorted out my neck problem for me. Give him a try; worth it if it works. Good luck.

Ann
24-Oct-06, 23:37
Bridgend's number is 01847 89 6363

JAWS
25-Oct-06, 04:32
Paris, just an idea for you to bounce round. Many years ago I used to suffer the same problem in one shoulder and shoulder-blade.

It would start, last for ages and eventually go away. I would be without the problem for a long period and then it would suddenly re-appear for no apparent reason.

At one stage my circumstances changed and it went away completely. One day I noticed it was suddenly starting again out of the blue. It was at that point, because my life had become calmer than it had been, that I realised that, when I was under pressure I had developed the habit of tensing that particular shoulder without ever noticing it. It was this habit which started the problem off and, of course, once the agony started it caused a never ending circle of the tension creating the pain and the pain creating more tension.

If the problem is recurring it might just be worth you trying to see if you can spot if there is some sort of trigger which is starting it in the first place.

I'm only going off personal experience but I had never given thought that it might be something physical which I might be unknowingly doing which was the cause.
I'm not saying this is the cause in your hubby's case but it might be worth considering.

paris
25-Oct-06, 08:24
Thanks to all who replyed,
Bless you Ann for the contact no but we dont live in caithness anymore, were in lincolnshier.
He had a better night last night so things could be looking up. Will keep you posted, and Thanks. jan x

Lolabelle
25-Oct-06, 08:27
I have trouble with a trapped nerve from time to time and go to an osteopath which is kinda like a chiropractor. I think a bit more gentle but a lot of chiropractors do similar type of adjustments as osteopaths. I was supposed to have an operation on my back and ended up just needing to visit the osteopath about every 4 - 6 months for a tune up.
All the best with it, I know how painful it can be. But I would definately try manipulation before an operation if it was me.

Ricco
25-Oct-06, 09:29
Hi, Paris.

In the meantime try looking into the cost of going private - it might be worth it. Also, you could enquire at one of the sports injury clinics. I went to one about my back years ago - they sorted me out in 7 visits at about £30 a pop. Hope you can get some relief for your hubbie - its hellishly painful... and he may be so grateful he might let you move up to Caithness! :D

squidge
25-Oct-06, 09:44
Try acupuncture.

A girl i knew once had acupuncture on her back and what a difference it made

Ann
25-Oct-06, 09:52
Thanks to all who replyed,
Bless you Ann for the contact no but we dont live in caithness anymore, were in lincolnshier.
He had a better night last night so things could be looking up. Will keep you posted, and Thanks. jan x

Oops! So much for my quick witted observance! :lol: Hope you get the right help but personally I still think you should make an appointment in Thurso and as Ricco says, move back!;)

brokencross
25-Oct-06, 11:32
Paris, I had this exact same problem a few years ago now. I had extreme pain in my left arm and a weakness and tingling in my left hand. Couldn't sleep, concentrate or anything. Tried all the painkillers from my GP to no avail, tried accupunture, still no relief. Had X-rays, got referred to a neurosurgeon by my GP but there was a 8 month waiting list.

This may seem daft, but I could get temporary respite by putting my left arm up over my head and holding my right ear. It must have opened up the vertebrae in my neck and temporarily took pressure off the trapped nerve.

Eventually paid for one private consultation with same neurosurgeon I had been referred to by GP (saw him within 10 days, amazing what £80 can do). he confirmed the trapped nerve, had a MRI scan on NHS (too expensive for me to go private). I was lucky because I got it quickly because of a cancellation. This showed clearly where the nerve was trapped.

I was lucky yet again because there was another cancellation and I was admitted to the hospital not too long after. The operation consisted of having a 2 cm horizontal slit cut in the front of the throat below the adams apple, pushing your wind pipe aside, pulling apart the vertebrae, freeing the nerve and fusing the bones. Took about 5 hours but was a total success with the recuperation period being quite quick.

But for temporary relief try the bad arm over the head trick holding the opposite ear........only problem is people tend to stare at you in the pub!?

cuddlepop
25-Oct-06, 13:59
He has my sympathy's as I too suffer from that at times.Have agreed in my case its chronic stress.Get some relief from heat of any description,hot water bottle,spray,shower, those things you put in the micro and then wrap around your neck are the best cure yet.:)

George Brims
25-Oct-06, 20:41
Beore you resort to quack medicine, read this.
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/chirostroke.html

paris
25-Oct-06, 22:46
Just a quick up-date, hes been asleep most of the day but when he is awake hes very spaced out, The pain has dulled just a little with the morphine patches so at least hes not suffering to bad now. Again thanks for your support. Jan x

connieb19
25-Oct-06, 22:48
Just a quick up-date, hes been asleep most of the day but when he is awake hes very spaced out, The pain has dulled just a little with the morphine patches so at least hes not suffering to bad now. Again thanks for your support. Jan x
You could try placing your hands round his neck....then squeeze, really firmly;) Sorry Paris, hope he finds a cure soon.

paris
25-Oct-06, 22:53
Hi connieb 19 :lol: Theres been many a time when i wanted to do that but not this time, i would feel guilty !!:lol: jan x

Fran
26-Oct-06, 00:53
Have you tried heat pads, they are very good for relief. Is he getting physiotherapy as Im sure that would help.