PDA

View Full Version : council garages and buying them

transit
29-Nov-11, 17:29
has any body in caithness bought a council garage what was the cost many thanks

theone
29-Nov-11, 17:38
I am a garage tennant, I never realised you could buy the garage.

Please let me know if you get an answer.

Scarybiscuits03
29-Nov-11, 17:46
You can buy them but I believe you still have to pay the council for the rental of the land that it resides on?....However it does allow you to knock it down and rebuild a more sturdy structure (as has been done at the end of Springpark)
Not sure what the price would be nowadays though Im afraid as the ones I know of were bought some time ago.

transit
29-Nov-11, 17:47
how much was the garages bought for a few years ago how much is the rent for ground tthanks

Eilanboy
29-Nov-11, 17:52
I am a garage tennant, I never realised you could buy the garage.

Please let me know if you get an answer.

You can apply to the local housing office to buy your garage but you have to pay a deposit (£100 ) I think which is not refundable.They will then give you a price and you can decide if you want to buy.Much the same as buying a council house

theone
29-Nov-11, 17:55
You can apply to the local housing office to buy your garage but you have to pay a deposit (£100 ) I think which is not refundable.They will then give you a price and you can decide if you want to buy.Much the same as buying a council house

That's great thanks.

Scarybiscuits03
29-Nov-11, 21:15
Most of the council garages are in a pretty bad way so they aren't very expensive, approx £50- £100. Not sure what the ground fee is but I think it's an annual payment. Hope this helps

Wick Fix
01-Dec-11, 01:25
If you do get a garage you may be able to buy the leasehold or have it made freehold or feudal if still available nowadays??? This means that you can then buy the area of land the garage is on. This only entitles you to the exact size of the land garage is on.

Try asking the council or estate agents. They may be able to help.

Repost and let us know how you get on please.

Eilanboy
01-Dec-11, 10:56
Most of the council garages are in a pretty bad way so they aren't very expensive, approx £50- £100. Not sure what the ground fee is but I think it's an annual payment. Hope this helps

If you buy an existing council owned garage you don,t pay site rent.Site rent is only paid when you rent a garage site and put your own garage on it.Think you are getting mixed up with site rent scarybiscuits as purchasing a garage is in excess of £1,000.

theone
01-Dec-11, 11:46
If you buy an existing council owned garage you don,t pay site rent.Site rent is only paid when you rent a garage site and put your own garage on it.Think you are getting mixed up with site rent scarybiscuits as purchasing a garage is in excess of £1,000.

I pay over £500 a year for my brick built garage rent, so even at £2-£3k I think I'd be better off buying.

Eilanboy
01-Dec-11, 16:19
I pay over £500 a year for my brick built garage rent, so even at £2-£3k I think I'd be better off buying.

Theone think you will find that others who have bought were of the same opinion as yourself.As previously stated check with your local housing office as to the deposit required then submit a letter along with deposit to them requesting to buy.They will then arrange for the valuer to give you a price and you can take it from there.Only drawback is if you don,t go ahead you lose your deposit.