PDA

View Full Version : mobile phone / internet dongle suitability in Castletown

ScottM
28-Nov-11, 17:48
Hi, moving to Castletown shortly and wondering if anyone can recommend a mobile provider to use? also will need to use a dongle for first couple of weeks for internet access so again a recommendation for that too would be handy. I currently use O2 so wondering if i need to change once im moved in. I've checked various websites for area coverage etc but all show sketchy reception wherever i look.

Thanks
Scott

John Little
28-Nov-11, 18:08
Hi Scott - I do not live in Castletown but stayed up near there a few weeks back and I brought a dongle because I wanted to use my computer. I used 3 Connect but it was not very good. When it worked it was fast, but a lot of the time it didna feel like it so I had to grit my teeth and wait a long time for pages to load. And it cut out seemingly at random so I would not recommend them.

With a mobile I use Tesco mobile. In the bar at Castletown I could get no signal but could get one in the street outside. Across most of Caithness and particularly in the centre of Wick I got no signal at all so I would stay well clear of that one!

There must be better than these two.

Kodiak
28-Nov-11, 18:33
I have both Vodafone and Orange for Mobile Phones, I find the best coverage within Caithness is Vodafone. I get perfect reception in Castletown as I quite often phone home from there.

I have no idea as to a Dongle as I have never used one.

Oh yes and one more thing :-

http://i49.tinypic.com/9ztts0.jpg

Scarybiscuits03
28-Nov-11, 21:10
Vodafone has an excellent signal in Castletown. O2 not so great, OH has O2 and the signal comes and goes - usually in the middle of a call!
Dongles on the other hand, not sure if you'll find one any use due to Castletown not having 3G. We had a vodafone one and in the end we gave up!

ScottM
29-Nov-11, 01:17
thanks for the info, its appreciated!. I did reply earlier but doesn't look like it got posted or i done something wrong lol. Thanks for the welcome bear too :-)