PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance advice please

linda.borgie
27-Nov-11, 20:43
Hello,
Someone reversed into the side of my truck while empty and parked in my house drive today but accepts liability. Truck needs new door and front wing.
My question is do I need to inform my insurance and if I have to will my insurance rate go up.
Any advice gratefully received
Thanks
Ian

countrychic
27-Nov-11, 20:47
Not sure if you have to inform your insurance company but when similar accident happened to me I swapped insurance details with other driver and informed my insurance company. The other driver admitted liability, both insurance companies sorted out details and car got fixed. My obdurate.ce didn't increase as a result as it wasn't a claim on my insurance.

linda.borgie
27-Nov-11, 20:51
Thanks Countrychic advice most welcome.
Cheers
Ian

bluechesse
27-Nov-11, 21:04
Hi, something similar happened to me. You are supposed to inform your own insurance company if you have any sort of accident, regardless of who is to blame. Now even though the 3rd party has admitted liability, it seems to be very difficult to submit a claim directly to them. I tried this, and months later the car was still damaged with no end in sight. I ended up having to sort it through my insurer, and pay a 350 quid excess! Eventually my company did manage to get his insurer to cough up, and I got a cheque for my excess back, but it was about 6 months after the car was fixed, and a year after the accident! My ncd was affected, but reinstated after settlement with his insurer. I had to renew my insurance while this was going on, and the price went up because of it. Again, the price hike was refunded after settlement when my ncd was reinstated. Sorry I can't give u any positive news here, but dealing with a 3rd party insurer appears to be an absolute nightmare, with them dragging their heels at every opportunity and making the whole thing as painful as possible. Hopefully your experience with this will be better than mine! Best of luck with it anyway.

Corrie 3
27-Nov-11, 21:16
You definitely need to tell your Insurance Company, tomorrow if possible and give the other drivers details to them. They will do all the sorting out for you and it should be hassle free. If you dont tell your Insurance and the other Guy then denies all liability it will be a nightmare for you.
Dont delay !!

C3...........;)

mi16
27-Nov-11, 22:16
technically if the cars are not on the public highway (private land) then he is not liable for the damage.
Used to happen a fair bit in Dounreay and many times the innocent party got nowt.

Corrie 3
28-Nov-11, 11:04
technically if the cars are not on the public highway (private land) then he is not liable for the damage.
Used to happen a fair bit in Dounreay and many times the innocent party got nowt.
I dont think thats the case now. If you know who did the damage and report it to your insurance company they will pursue damages from the other party. It is best if you can get as much evidence as possible..ie, witness's and photo's etc but reporting it to your insurance company should be your first port of call!!....
Good luck !!

C3...........:)

mi16
28-Nov-11, 12:01
I dont think thats the case now. If you know who did the damage and report it to your insurance company they will pursue damages from the other party. It is best if you can get as much evidence as possible..ie, witness's and photo's etc but reporting it to your insurance company should be your first port of call!!....
Good luck !!

C3...........:)

It depends on if you have informed the insurance company that you park it on your drive.
I know that if you have an accident on private land then the insurance is not valid.

picturegifts
28-Nov-11, 12:26
The correct procedure is to report the incident to your insurers. If you are comprehensive they will make arrangements for the repair of your car, and claim back the cost of repair from Third Party (TP) insurers.
If you have an excess you will have to claim this back yourself from the TP insurers, although some companies nowadays will do this for you.
Your NCD will be affected until TP Insurers have admitted liability, after all at this stage they only have your word for the circumstances surrounding incident.
If you have Protected NCD you will "lose one of your lives" You are normally allowed to have two "at fault" claims in a two year period before you lose benefit of this protection

pottheed
28-Nov-11, 12:50
It depends on if you have informed the insurance company that you park it on your drive.
I know that if you have an accident on private land then the insurance is not valid.

incorrect, regardless of the owner of the land, if it is a public place then the road traffic act applies. the current definition of public place is:

“Public place” includes any highway and any other premises or place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted to have access, whether on payment or otherwise ”.

so basically if it happened in a car park with a gate closed then its not a public place, if it is open then it is a public place. this also includes peoples driveways.

mi16
28-Nov-11, 13:29
Only if your driveway is not gated then by that definition.
That philosophy would explain the Dounreay thing though.

pottheed
28-Nov-11, 13:41
That rule only came in around 2006. Thinking about it dounreay is gated isnt it??

mi16
28-Nov-11, 16:28
aye to keep the monkeys in

linda.borgie
28-Nov-11, 22:02
Thanks folks for all the help everything now in hand.
Thanks
Ian