PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Alasdair Whyte, Isle of Mull - Royal National Mod Gold Medallist 2006

weeboyagee
23-Oct-06, 21:32
Just to let you all know that the Caithness and Sutherland contingent have just arrived back from the Royal National Mod ( http://www.the-mod.co.uk ). Melvich did well but weren't placed in the four part harmony or the Puirt competition after their success at the Caithness and Sutherland Mod and the Provincial Mod in Mull. However, for the first time the choir has had a big enough contingent of male voices to enter the male voice competition and to their delight came runners up in their very first year of the competition to the well respected Glasgow Gaelic Musical Association!

A wee party is being hosted to celebrate the achievement this week.

Best news of the week is of the young lad who won the Royal National Mod Gold Medal. He is a very good friend of the choir and has appeared in Caithness before, singing at the Royal British Legion in Thurso after winning the junior section two years ago. He has now WON the gold medal in only his second attempt - Meall do naidheachd!!! (Congratulations!!!) Alasdair Whyte, from the Isle of Mull - seen here (http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/smo/naidheachd/fiosan/bursary2005_b.html) (at the back on the right) - the choir (especially me!) are very proud of you!!! His mother Riona, seen here (http://www.caithness.org/fpb/april2006/photogallery/index.php?gallery=2&image=7) furthest on the left of the group of ladies (Atomaig Piseag) is the Royal National Mod Gold Medallist 2001. We sang together in the duet competition this year for the first time and were fourth in a competition of 15 competitors.

I am sure a number of you who support what we do will want to know that we will be hosting our usual ceilidh on Saturday 2nd December in the Royal British Legion in Thurso again, so see you all there! Thanks to everyone who continues to support the choir and everything it does - and well done to the folk group "Ceol bho Thuath" (Northsound) for representing the area in the Senior folk group competition including Katrina Scott of Emptyhouse and our young guest guitarist from Lewis, Kerny - we had a great time and a lot of fun in that competition.

Now with the years work done we can put the feet up, take it easy for a while and start posting again on the org!!!!

Thanks to Riona, Alasdair, his dad Reay and sister Megan for looking after me and others from the county when we visit (frequently) their home on the Isle of Mull - we have all the more reason to celebrate when we get their - hopefully VERY SOON! :D

WBG :cool:

canuck
23-Oct-06, 21:47
Weeboyagee, that is absolutely wonderful. Congratulations.

And please pass on to the choir and the members whom I know my bestest wishes for their days of rest and then the return to the active choir again.

WBG, we do indeed look forward to your return to the org. Notice that the fitness club has been reactivated. As one of our star members we need you in the fold.

auldalto
25-Oct-06, 09:37
This would be the ideal place to thank the Conductors,Raymond Bremner,Graham Cameron and Myrtle Gillies and last but certainly not least Alice McDonald, our Gaelic Tutor,for all their hard work and and enthusiasm for preparing Melvich Gaelic Choir for this years Mod.

A VERY BIG THANKYOU TO YOU ALL.

willowbankbear
25-Oct-06, 09:41
Congratulations:D

Kingetter
25-Oct-06, 09:41
Great news and congratulations - a lot to be proud of.

Ann
25-Oct-06, 10:06
Well done everyone! Have put the 2nd of December in my diary. Slainthe!