PDA

View Full Version : In-fill lighting

Ricco
23-Oct-06, 21:29
Last weekend I went to some local woods to photograph some fungi. Needless to say the lighting wasn't brilliant. However, I didn't want to use flash because it washes out the colours. So, the CCD in my camera wasn't quick enough and most of the photos are out of focus.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can use in-fill lighting without washing out the colours. It was a great shame as there were some crackers!

norscot
24-Oct-06, 00:15
You could use a tripod, exposure compensation or some sort of reflector. Bracketing your exposures could be useful too. If you have on-camera flash only, try diffusing it with some tissue paper.
There's always good advice on use of flash in the photographic magazines, in fact there's a flash feature this month's 'Photography' magazine.

porshiepoo
24-Oct-06, 08:07
A white reflector is always helpful plus alot of cameras have the ability to adjust the flash strength so that you don't get that 'daytime' look. Always worth a try!

Photographing fungi eh? Do you get practical photograph magazine? lol. I'll bet woods all over the country are just full of people trying to snap away at mushrooms. lol. I haven't managed to get out there yet but hopefully I will soon.

Ricco
24-Oct-06, 09:16
A white reflector is always helpful plus alot of cameras have the ability to adjust the flash strength so that you don't get that 'daytime' look. Always worth a try!

Photographing fungi eh? Do you get practical photograph magazine? lol. I'll bet woods all over the country are just full of people trying to snap away at mushrooms. lol. I haven't managed to get out there yet but hopefully I will soon.

Porshiepoo, my thanks to you and Norscot for your advice. My poor l'il Sony P72 is fixed flash only, though I seem to remember that I can adjust the strength, now you come to mention it.

I have been an avid mycologist for many years and am fascinated by the wide variety, shapes and colours. They can, of course, even be lethal so it is always best to leave them if you aren't 100% certain of the species. I am always saddened by the few people who think that all fungi are dangerous and therefore kick them to pieces. (hmm, maybe we should treat yobbos the same way?)

frank ward
24-Oct-06, 12:49
A cheap alternative is to buy a little 'slave flash.'
This is a battery-operated flash unit that is remotely triggered by your own flash.
putting the slave flash discreetly at the rear or side of the object, not pointing back at you, gives a lot of extra light just where you want it.

great for portraits.
you can also use it with reflector dish or white board.

pussycat