PDA

View Full Version : Waste

domino
27-Nov-11, 15:34
Watching some TV programmes and adverts I am absolutely disgusted by the amount of food and other materials that are wasted.There are a lot of people who are very needy so I feel that these sort of programmes and adverts need to tidy up their acts. If this is entertainment who needs it?. I CERTAINLY DO NOT !!!!!!

orkneycadian
27-Nov-11, 19:11
Not sure if you are slating the programmes here or not, and if they are the kinds of programmes that expose the amount of wasteage you obviously detest, of the kind of programmes that are encouraging wasteage.

Either way, its a sad result of the throwaway consumer society where BOGOF on goods flown halfway round the world out of season, is more important to consumers than buying what they need locally, produced locally.

shazzap
27-Nov-11, 19:18
Not sure if you are slating the programmes here or not, and if they are the kinds of programmes that expose the amount of wasteage you obviously detest, of the kind of programmes that are encouraging wasteage.

Either way, its a sad result of the throwaway consumer society where BOGOF on goods flown halfway round the world out of season, is more important to consumers than buying what they need locally, produced locally.

Most people, cannot afford to buy locally. Most have to BOGOF. I bought local, but my family starved. Would not be a very nice epitaph. Would it now.

orkneycadian
27-Nov-11, 19:45
Ah, but thats because folk have forgotten how to buy locally.....

Last weeks Orcadian newspaper has someone selling Rooster tatties at 60p a kilo for 12.5 or 25 kilo bags, free delivery. Even thats not very cheap considering the farm gate price for top end tatties this week is about £140 a tonne, 14p per kilo. Rooster tatties according to Tesco's website in 2 kg bags = 99p per kilo. Its been discussed before and folk say "I don't have the space to store a bag of tatties" - But yet, they can find room for BOGOF bogrolls and whatever.

Not expecting folk to buy a tonne of tatties at a time, but with a bit of wit, its easy to get things like tatties for far less than what Tesco charge for them, delivered for free!