PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Flag

Restlessnative
25-Nov-11, 18:04
Hello, was wondering if there has ever been a recognised or semi recognised flag for Caithness?

If not would it be a good idea to have one? What do you all think?

thanks

John Little
25-Nov-11, 18:06
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?11037-Caithness-Flag-(Not-the-stone)

theone
25-Nov-11, 18:10
I'm not against the idea, but having seen the mess that is "Caithness tartan", I dread to think what we'd end up with!!!

Restlessnative
25-Nov-11, 18:22
Thanks for that John, hopefully get some sensible, constructive thoughts this time round.

The one - I've not seen the tartan so wouldn't like to say.

Do you think a flag could have a positive effect here like in the Northern Isles?

theone
25-Nov-11, 18:30
The one - I've not seen the tartan so wouldn't like to say.

Here you go:

http://www.mcallans.com/info/caithnesstartan.asp

Not to my taste at all I'm afraid.

Restlessnative
25-Nov-11, 18:51
Nope not my sort of thing either, but how did they come up with this tartan? Was it funded with public money with a open design competition judged by the public or was it designed by a buisness for trying to make money?

Does caithness not have more of a Norse connection rather than the sterotypical Scottish clan history with tartan everywhere?

Buttercup
25-Nov-11, 19:50
Seem to remember something about a Caithness flag donkey's years ago. Can'think what colour it was/is but I'm sure it had a primula in the centre of it. Maybe thirsaloon could help, there's not much about the place that he doesn't know.:lol:

Corrie 3
25-Nov-11, 20:26
Why not just settle for the Skull and Crossbones? It's about right for Caithness!!

C3.............:roll:;)

Mystical Potato Head
25-Nov-11, 21:03
Nope not my sort of thing either, but how did they come up with this tartan? Was it funded with public money with a open design competition judged by the public or was it designed by a buisness for trying to make money?

Does caithness not have more of a Norse connection rather than the sterotypical Scottish clan history with tartan everywhere?

Clan Gunn is of Norse origin from the name Guinn
Clan Sinclair was founded by William Saint-Clair of Norman decent and the
Sutherland name derives from the norse Sudrland.

A few other Clans are of non Scottish origin too.

Angel
26-Nov-11, 00:01
Why not just settle for the Skull and Crossbones? It's about right for Caithness!!

Ah harrr wee laddie, a flag true to fly, give yersel a dram and celebrate yer booty, 3 pieces of eight all roond.. ah harrr...

Angel...

Restlessnative
26-Nov-11, 12:43
Clan Gunn is of Norse origin from the name Guinn
Clan Sinclair was founded by William Saint-Clair of Norman decent and the
Sutherland name derives from the norse Sudrland.

A few other Clans are of non Scottish origin too.

Thanks Mr Potato, that's exaclty along the lines I was thinking. Would it be benifitial to the area to press more toward this like the like the Northern Isle have. They both have healthy tourist trade's based heavily around their Norse connections. Would it help Caithnessians have a stronger sence of identity that everyone's proud of, which in turn could help boost local moral.

You never know maybe skull and cross bones could be incorporated if somebody took the idea and ran with it.

There is plenty government money out there for these types of projects it's just finding the correct people to access it.

theone
26-Nov-11, 13:03
Thanks Mr Potato, that's exaclty along the lines I was thinking. Would it be benifitial to the area to press more toward this like the like the Northern Isle have. They both have healthy tourist trade's based heavily around their Norse connections. Would it help Caithnessians have a stronger sence of identity that everyone's proud of, which in turn could help boost local moral.

I admire any attempts to boost tourism trade in the area, but I think the lack of a flag would be the least of the obstacles needing overcome!

As has been mentioned on here before, and as is clear to see if you travel south, Caithness gets very little promotion and is indeed often deliberately ignored by those working in the tourist information services and Visit Scotland etc. The general advice is visit Inverness, then pass through Caithness to get to Orkney.

There is plenty government money out there for these types of projects it's just finding the correct people to access it.

Being "pro norse" in Caithness might be seen as "anti-gaelic", which goes against the govenments agenda. And highlighting that north clans have Norse origins, or that the Sinclairs, Gunns, Mackays and Sutherlands were pro-British, fighting against Bonnie Prince Charlie at Culloden also goes against the grain.

Good luck!

Restlessnative
26-Nov-11, 13:28
Thanks for you comment, bit negative tho which I wasn't expecting..... Orkney maybe gets the tourists because they all stand together and promote the Islands. They don't have the best Whisky in the world anymore :) which I'm delighted about after my visit to Highland park last month having them tell me that it is the best in the world countless times.

The goverment will throw money at anything, there are lots of different bodies to approch. It's not anti gaelic or anti British.... it's pro money :)

theone
26-Nov-11, 13:33
Thanks for you comment, bit negative tho which I wasn't expecting.....

Haha, I've got a habit of being pessimistic about things like this.

Orkney maybe gets the tourists because they all stand together and promote the Islands. They don't have the best Whisky in the world anymore :) which I'm delighted about after my visit to Highland park last month having them tell me that it is the best in the world countless times.

I'd maybe disagree. Orkney (imo) has more attractions than Caithness, although I would concede they advertise and market them better. Take away wildlife spotting, walking or fishing and I find it very hard to fill a visitors day with "attractions" in Caithness. I hope that can improve!

The goverment will throw money at anything, there are lots of different bodies to approch. It's not anti gaelic or anti British.... it's pro money :)

As I say, good luck with that!

golach
26-Nov-11, 14:14
. They don't have the best Whisky in the world anymore :) which I'm delighted about after my visit to Highland park last month having them tell me that it is the best in the world countless times.

Ach away ye go, Highland Park has won more awards world wide than Old Poultney has ever done. It was one mans opinion that it was the best whisky in the World, as my owld faither taught me a long time ago, "There are no bad whiskies, just some are better than others".

Beat Bug
26-Nov-11, 14:35
Ach away ye go, Highland Park has won more awards world wide than Old Poultney has ever done. It was one mans opinion that it was the best whisky in the World, as my owld faither taught me a long time ago, "There are no bad whiskies, just some are better than others".

Highland Park, Cask Strength, is by far the best whisky I've ever tasted! But then it's all about each person's personal taste!

Restlessnative
26-Nov-11, 15:09
Maybe it was just one mans just opinion but I'm sure Highland park would rather had their whisky named his favourite tiple? Anyway it's good for Caithness and should be capitalised on.

Yes maybe we have slightly less tourist attraction I'm not sure, but stills there's quiet alot of good things for visitors in Caithness and it saves a ferry fare.

I've not researched this so don't knock me if I'm wrong.

Paintballing, quad biking, countless old castles, castle of Mey, Dunbeath castle, clan Gunn museum, gardening centres, one of the best seafood restaurants in the UK, brochs galore, hunting, fishing, walking, bird watching, John'O'Groats, Duncansbay stacks, wildlife tours and sighseeing, harbour days, bonfires, gala weeks, surfing competition and surfing school, camster cairns, laidhay croft meseum, dunnet forest, JOG-Lands end events and visversa, good hotels, dounreay visitor centre, Mey selections, Old pultney Distillery, swimming pools, maryannes cottage, music festival, untill not so long ago a cinema, clay pigeon shooting, county show, caithness horizons, beautiful old buildings, flow country, golf course 3 of, reids bakers great biscuits, potteries, and probably many many more.

There are a few things to be positive about :D

Beat Bug
26-Nov-11, 15:25
And most of all, the beautiful scenery!

golach
26-Nov-11, 16:47
Maybe it was just one mans just opinion but I'm sure Highland park would rather had their whisky named his favourite tiple? Anyway it's good for Caithness and should be capitalised on.

Yes maybe we have slightly less tourist attraction I'm not sure, but stills there's quiet alot of good things for visitors in Caithness and it saves a ferry fare.

I've not researched this so don't knock me if I'm wrong.

Paintballing, quad biking, countless old castles, castle of Mey, Dunbeath castle, clan Gunn museum, gardening centres, one of the best seafood restaurants in the UK, brochs galore, hunting, fishing, walking, bird watching, John'O'Groats, Duncansbay stacks, wildlife tours and sighseeing, harbour days, bonfires, gala weeks, surfing competition and surfing school, camster cairns, laidhay croft meseum, dunnet forest, JOG-Lands end events and visversa, good hotels, dounreay visitor centre, Mey selections, , swimming pools, maryannes cottage, music festival, untill not so long ago a cinema, clay pigeon shooting, county show, caithness horizons, beautiful old buildings, flow country, golf course 3 of, reids bakers great biscuits, potteries, and probably many many more.There are a few things to be positive about

Agree with the majority of the above with the exception of Old Poultney, canna stand its taste, maybe its a Thursa / Week thing :lol: but would add Far North Soaps to your list.

David Banks
26-Nov-11, 22:04
How about a blue flag (representing sea and sky) with a white ball in the middle (representing the Dounreay dome)? Proportions could be similar to the Japanese flag.

Personally, I'd prefer not to see any more flags with crosses, but that is just me.

sandyr1
26-Nov-11, 22:42

One could also say that aboot the Weeman!

ducati
27-Nov-11, 00:19
How about something like this?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8ePdFHj69g4afIaMiaF46XGg56ISL_ 6ykf34-HPStFOU_vCXB

Restlessnative
27-Nov-11, 09:52
Alas here we go again....... does anybody have anything constructive or sensible to say on the subject or will it go down the same old road as every other thread ????

ducati
27-Nov-11, 10:54
No, and er.....yes. :lol:

Restlessnative
27-Nov-11, 11:30
ppppfffffffft I hang my head in dispair..... don't give up your day job :D

embow
27-Nov-11, 12:21
Orkney is a small unitary authority giving local influence and decision making. Caithness is a remote part of the largest authority in the country which is larger than Belgium and is dominated by a single large urban area. Enough said! Such a pity Caithness wasn't allowed to look north and link in with Orkney back in 1975 when the monstrosity that is Highland was created.

Restlessnative
27-Nov-11, 14:10
Orkney is a small unitary authority giving local influence and decision making. Caithness is a remote part of the largest authority in the country which is larger than Belgium and is dominated by a single large urban area. Enough said! Such a pity Caithness wasn't allowed to look north and link in with Orkney back in 1975 when the monstrosity that is Highland was created.

Thanks for comment I agree with you that we are one of the more remote area but that shouldn't stop people trying to push for positive change. Having said the above do you think that local people/buisness/bodies/schools/colleges/clubs could influence us more towards the way the Northern Isles use their Norse origins to create niche markets for the tourists ?

Starting with the likes of the fire festival they had this week and perhaps maybe even a Caithness county flag ?

George Brims
28-Nov-11, 21:49

That would be more appropriate for Stroma. Folk from there used to be known as pirates.

ads
28-Nov-11, 22:34
Caithness already has its own flag. The only difference is it is trod upon not flown aloft. It already has world renown and has done so for the last century. It has put "Caithness" on the map of the World.

Restlessnative
29-Nov-11, 12:01
Aye, yes yes thanks for pointing that out :D

Now back on subject what do you think about the points put across above?

David Banks
29-Nov-11, 12:17
I guess we'll also be needing a Caithness bird (how about a shochad?)

- and a Caithness tree (I'm stumped on that one).

Restlessnative
29-Nov-11, 12:30
I guess we'll also be needing a Caithness bird (how about a shochad?)

- and a Caithness tree (I'm stumped on that one).

Now your getting the idea.

ducati
29-Nov-11, 12:57
Well, as you didn't like my other idea, how about a Whale a Sycamore tree and a Windfarm.

Restlessnative
29-Nov-11, 13:59
Ducati, if that's what you would put forward as a design then go for it, I would wish you all the best and thank you for taking part.

I'm not getting at the actual design part, I'm asking if having a Caithness flag could be beneficial to Caithness ???? be it social, ecomomical or anything else.

For all it would cost and with all the government funding for such things would it be worth a try???? It could even be fun involving lots of different people from all walks of life :D

Even Chance
30-Nov-11, 17:13
In my humble opinion, an independant Caithness flag would indeed be beneficial in promoting our differences from the rest of Scotland.
The vertical/horizontal crosses in the Orkney and Shetland flags refer to the Norse heritage they use to their benefit in tourism. Therefore I feel that we should also jump onto this band-wagon and come up with something similar in style. It makes perfect sense really....

Restlessnative
01-Dec-11, 12:32
Great I was starting to worry that the org was only being used for people to greet, ridicule and generally complain hahaha :D

It makes perfect sense for me aswell, I'm going to dig a bit deeper and see if any groups, bodies or businesses are interested in this idea.

If you can think of anything, anyone or have ideas that might help please put up a post or PM me.

Thanks

Errogie
05-Dec-11, 19:15
Of course the flag should be accompanied by a punchy slogan or as they now say "zeitgeist" (that's not gaelic) to catch the spirit of the times. With ref. to flagstone perhaps, how about " Standing on firm ground".

flagsabound
19-Mar-14, 10:29
Hi, the Association of British Counties has listings of proposed county flags located here

http://abcounties.com/proposed-flags-traditional/

and here

http://flags.abcounties.com/proposed-flags-novel-designs/

Two specific proposals for Caithness are located here

http://flags.abcounties.com/2014/02/05/caithness/

We'd be happy to include the green on yellow Nordic cross design that has been posted in this forum if you can supply some background information regarding the colours and choice of design. The ABC has been very active in recent years establishing flags across England and Wales and would very much like to see some county flags registered in Scotland too. Unfortunately Scottish citizens do not enjoy the same freedom to display their local identity as those south of the border, being obliged to register any flag with the highest heraldic authority, the Lord Lyon, for a fee of £300. However, as has been mentioned, with its distinct history and culture Caithness is deserving of a flag of its own, so perhaps a combination of citizen and local authority input might cover the cost of registration? The most likely means of establishing a flag for Caithness would be a competition, as occurred on Orkney. There have also been a number of county flag competitions in England, the most recent being County Durham where a flag competition was held in November 2013. A competition can be conducted in cooperation with the Flag Institute who can also advise on judges and formats and so on. You can contact the ABC about all this via the ABC Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/abcounties . Hope this is of some interest and help and look forward to hearing from you.

Restlessnative
23-Mar-14, 23:16

This is eh flag we need for Caithness, golden sun with the wild blue and white sea. Norse connection, not hard on the eye and easy till replicate where needed.

If any cheil disagrees a couldna gee a mounkies, dina reply.

Cheers feel free till use hid if yee want.