PDA

View Full Version : Nasty flu

catnip
24-Nov-11, 13:47
Has anyone else got this horrible flu that is going about which has an awful cough. I have had this flu for over two weeks now, last weekend it looked like I was getting better but then on Sunday it hit again worse than ever. Went to hospital Nhs 24 where doc gave me anti biotics for the cough and said that this could last for weeks yet! :~(

JSutherland
24-Nov-11, 14:57
Yes I had it for 4 weeks and my 6 year old daughter still has it after 5 weeks! Its one of the worst myself and my daughter have had. I just hope my little one doesnt catch it!

RecQuery
24-Nov-11, 15:25
Antibiotics don't work for stuff like that beyond a placebo effect, they're given because people keep complaining or the doctor wants to get rid of you - all they do is increase community antibiotic resistance. Only advice I can give is to drink a lot of water, take some vitamins, keep eating and stay warm. Vicks First Defence works if it's early enough.

The best way to stop the infection and the spread of stuff like this is to practice good hygiene, avoid contact with people when infected and be considerate when in public situations (coughing, sneezing etc)

EDIT: It's possible you got prescription antivirals that might help.

Geo
24-Nov-11, 15:39
If that was the case you've kind of spoiled it for those it would have helped. You can't know though unless you're a doctor and had a look. The cough could be caused by a bacterial infection due to a weakened immune system from the flu so antibiotics would work.

theone
24-Nov-11, 15:49
I've had the flu twice in my life, the last time being "bejing" flu in 1997.

I remember thinking I was dying!

Any flu where the worst symptom is a cough is about as good as it gets in my book!

Get well soon.

oldmarine
25-Nov-11, 04:47
I've had my flu shots for this season. In fact I get flu shots each year. I learned the difficult way if I don't get the flu shots I will get the flu.

Loraine
25-Nov-11, 10:45
Yes I had it for 4 weeks and my 6 year old daughter still has it after 5 weeks! Its one of the worst myself and my daughter have had. I just hope my little one doesnt catch it!

My youngest had this too but is definitely getting better. She had an awful cough - she still has it- but it wasn't in her chest and i was told to come back if she was no better in a week and they might give antibiotics. She seems a little better now although she's still been coughing for over a fortnight. Just seems to be taking forever to go away. She also had a fever with it, sore throat, headache. It's a nasty bug and it seems to be doing the rounds!! :roll:

Dadie
25-Nov-11, 10:57
Just the cough hot/cold thing thats going!
We have had it for weeks, Lauren has been coughing for 4 weeks now, Iona 3 weeks, ...and it has gone round us all....should have shares in calpol!
Before you all say calpol doesnt help a cough, I know, but it does help take the kids temp down!
There is a vomiting bug going round too....
But its not the flu.
Flu is a lot worse ....:~(