PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Experience

ducati
24-Nov-11, 08:58
First of all, I hate the very idea of facebook, just to be clear.

I had to sign up to enter a competition so I just used a made up name and gender and DOB. I then, having entered the competition (for a Heineken Cup signed Liverpool shirt, will be straight on ebay if I win :lol:) I requested the account deleted, this takes 14 days in case I change my mind :confused

The point, I hear you ask, is that in this process that took all of 2 minutes, I, a completely made up person, received about 90 friends requests. What's that about? [lol]

AAAAgh! They keep popping up here now, make it stop, make it stop, it's like the voices all over again................

ywindythesecond
24-Nov-11, 09:28

I had to sign up to enter a competition so I just used a made up name and gender and DOB. I then, having entered the competition (for a Heineken Cup signed Liverpool shirt, will be straight on ebay if I win :lol:) I requested the account deleted, this takes 14 days in case I change my mind :confused

The point, I here you ask, is that in this process that took all of 2 minutes, I, a completely made up person, received about 90 friends requests. What's that about? [lol]

AAAAgh! They keep popping up here now, make it stop, make it stop, it's like the voices all over again................
About four years ago my daughter persuaded me to join Facebook. I did and instantly was asked to be a friend to one person I didn't know, a long gone former boyfriend of my daughter and, and this is true, REGGY!
Imagine my horror. I have never tried it again.

ducati
24-Nov-11, 09:39
About four years ago my daughter persuaded me to join Facebook. I did and instantly was asked to be a friend to one person I didn't know, a long gone former boyfriend of my daughter and, and this is true, REGGY!

It affected you so badly, your formatting has gone tist up!

John Little
24-Nov-11, 09:48

I had to sign up to enter a competition so I just used a made up name and gender and DOB...

The point, I hear you ask, is that in this process that took all of 2 minutes, I, a completely made up person, received about 90 friends requests. What's that about? [lol]

Well if you will call yourself Mistress Wilhelmina Pulchritude... and the profile picture!

I did not think it possible! :eek:

*Martin*
24-Nov-11, 11:18
Did you use a new email address?

The reason I ask is Facebook allows you to invite everyone on your contacts list to join. I'm not saying you did this, but say 50 people have you stored in their email contacts. Each one of these 50 people could have checked the option to invite their contact list. If they did, as soon as you join you'll get their friend request.

I personally think Facebook is great! An elderly gent in my family has just started using it to get in touch with old friends he hasn't seen in years. People shout and moan about their privacy etc. the fact of the matter is, if you've got something personal: don't broadcast it to the world!

ducati
24-Nov-11, 11:28
Did you use a new email address?

The reason I ask is Facebook allows you to invite everyone on your contacts list to join. I'm not saying you did this, but say 50 people have you stored in their email contacts. Each one of these 50 people could have checked the option to invite their contact list. If they did, as soon as you join you'll get their friend request.

I personally think Facebook is great! An elderly gent in my family has just started using it to get in touch with old friends he hasn't seen in years. People shout and moan about their privacy etc. the fact of the matter is, if you've got something personal: don't broadcast it to the world!

I did use a current email, but I skimmed the list of friends requests and didn't recognise any of them.:eek:

sids
24-Nov-11, 13:40

I don't see how any of that is a problem at all, never mind a worthy object of "hate."

ducati
24-Nov-11, 13:49
I don't see how any of that is a problem at all, never mind a worthy object of "hate."

Who said it was a problem? I just posted it as an amusing anecdote. :roll:

John Little
24-Nov-11, 14:44
It's okay Duke - you do not have to apologise to us for using Facebook. You go ahead and use it if you wish.

We all understand.

Facebook has millions of users world wide, so if you want to use it then we, on this virtual and networking community will show our caring side and offer our support.

After all- you'd be surprised who uses Facebook...

ducati
24-Nov-11, 15:12
It's okay Duke - you do not have to apologise to us for using Facebook. You go ahead and use it if you wish.

We all understand.

Facebook has millions of users world wide, so if you want to use it then we, on this virtual and networking community will show our caring side and offer our support.

After all- you'd be surprised who uses Facebook...

That is very kind John, but I really would rather poke my eyes out with a blunt stick.

John Little
24-Nov-11, 15:22
I would bet £100,000,000 that you would not...

It may be that somewhere in a parallel universe there is a biker poking his eyes out with a blunt stick rather than use Facebook - but not in this one.

There are even Orgers who affect to dislike FB but still use it...

Geo
24-Nov-11, 15:41
Just set your privacy settings so you don't get random people sending lots of requests.

ducati
24-Nov-11, 16:08
Just set your privacy settings so you don't get random people sending lots of requests.

No, No. I don't want advice on how to use the damn thing!

theone
24-Nov-11, 16:10
I did use a current email, but I skimmed the list of friends requests and didn't recognise any of them.:eek:

Ah, but they recognised you............

John Little
24-Nov-11, 16:14
But you could meet lots of kindred spirits- there's Iwan Ducati, Jan Ducati, Ducati Team, Ducati Monster, Ducati streetfighter, Ducati Anggie, Paris Ducati - so many of them... and all a new experience.

John Little
24-Nov-11, 16:16
https://www.facebook.com/duke.ducati :eek:

Rheghead
24-Nov-11, 17:09

I don't believe that is true, what may have happened is that because we have emailed each other on certain things then Facebook can access email lists and suggest friends. In fact I know this happens because your account keeps popping up as a friend suggestion. But don't let my view of wind farms get in the way of a blooming friendship.

ducati
24-Nov-11, 17:33
https://www.facebook.com/duke.ducati :eek:

You see? Just the sort of nutcase I don't want anything to do with!

sids
24-Nov-11, 18:33
an amusing anecdote. :

You should have said.

ducati
24-Nov-11, 19:48
You should have said.

Please yerself!

oldmarine
25-Nov-11, 04:56
Facebook has been unkind to some but not a problem for others. I suggest for people to be careful what they post on Facebook. Don't post something for which you will later regret.

John Little
25-Nov-11, 09:33
You see? Just the sort of nutcase I don't want anything to do with!

You'd have a job avoiding them though. I understand that the University of Lybster is full of such people.