PDA

View Full Version : Scary driving between Thurso and Castletown O_O

Jalna35
21-Nov-11, 20:25
Sorry first new post and its a grumble. I'm waiting to hear that there's been a serious crash on the road between Thurso and Castletown.

Since the road was resurfaced the double white lines, which stopped the mad overtaking on the blind summits of the road, have not been replaced. So.... and not for the fist time, while travelling along the road, what did I see but a car hurtling past us at a breakneck speed overtaking on one of these blind summits. Thankfully there was not a car coming over the hill this time but when he passed the next car on the next hill there was, again thankfully, he was able to return to his own side of the road but had he or the other driver been a bit faster there could have been a crash. I shudder at that thought.

I think its about time the road markings are redone so the drivers who like to get to their destination safely can. I firmly believe that the road markings on the roads are very important, especially in the dark or bad weather, they help drivers keep to their own side of the road or even at certain times show where the road is. Anyway there are too many spots in Caithness where they have not been replaced any chance they will be? :)

Kodiak
21-Nov-11, 21:35
I agree with you 100% that the Road Markings are very important. That stretch of road just before Murkle on the way to Castletoen has had no markings down for sometime. I doubt that there will be none put down this year now, sad this is.

OH yes and one more thing :-

http://i49.tinypic.com/9ztts0.jpg

gingernut
21-Nov-11, 21:46
I agree with you Jalna35. That stretch of road is a nightmare in the dark. The lack of markings in the middle and at the road edge make it a very difficult to see especially when there's oncoming traffic/headlights.It's also a very busy dtretch of road, probably one of the busiest in Caithness.
Is there anything that we roadusers can do to try and improve this situation, apart from drive very carefully, of course?

linnie612
21-Nov-11, 21:56
I agree with you 100% that the Road Markings are very important. That stretch of road just before Murkle on the way to Castletoen has had no markings down for sometime. I doubt that there will be none put down this year now, sad this is.

OH yes and one more thing :-

I've seen this Welcome Bear on a few posts now, and I never got one! :(

Kodiak
21-Nov-11, 22:02
I've seen this Welcome Bear on a few posts now, and I never got one! :(

I apologise I must not have seen your first few posts. Here is a Bear Just for you.

linnie612
21-Nov-11, 22:07
Thankyou! :)

Billy Boy
21-Nov-11, 22:23
I agree with you Jalna35. That stretch of road is a nightmare in the dark. The lack of markings in the middle and at the road edge make it a very difficult to see especially when there's oncoming traffic/headlights.It's also a very busy dtretch of road, probably one of the busiest in Caithness.
Is there anything that we roadusers can do to try and improve this situation, apart from drive very carefully, of course?
If your having difficultly seeing the middle and the side of the road when your driving, I think you should go and get your eye's tested, Maybe you need glasses?
I have no problem seeing the road when meeting oncoming traffic on that stretch of road.

Here's hoping i don't meet you :eek:

gingernut
21-Nov-11, 22:27
If your having difficultly seeing the middle and the side of the road when your driving, I think you should go and get your eye's tested, Maybe you need glasses?
I have no problem seeing the road when meeting oncoming traffic on that stretch of road.

Here's hoping i don't meet you :eek:
I meant when driving in the dark. Can see fine during daylight and definitely don't need glasses as had my eyes tested recently.

Billy Boy
21-Nov-11, 22:34
I meant when driving in the dark. Can see fine during daylight and definitely don't need glasses as had my eyes tested recently.

I know what you meant. Sorry, But i think that if your having difficulty seeing the side of the road, In the dark when meeting oncoming traffic without the aid of white lines, There's something wrong!

Maccy
21-Nov-11, 23:17

Ye you answered your own question. You should always drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. This means in the dark the distance of your headlights, and if you have difficulty seeing the middle/side of the road SLOW DOWN.

bekisman
21-Nov-11, 23:27
Came back via that road this afternoon, there used to be double white lines there? some prat roared past us - there's going to be more accidents; what the hell are the road people playing at?

ducati
21-Nov-11, 23:29
I chose to overtake someone on that stretch tonight, they where doing between 28 and 35mph, every time I had a chance to overtake, they wondered into the middle of the road. I passed them when I could see about half a mile ahead.

I normally don't bother but that speed was taking the ....micky:lol:

Oh, and I only overtook one car before anyone asks.

weezer 316
22-Nov-11, 00:59
I cycle alot and I am constantly overtaken on that stretch. Infact on sudnay i headed out to dunnet head and I was overtaken by two cars on the way back at the no overtaking part, both easliy far in excess of the 50mph limit. I used to think they just didnt care about cyclists as its only going to smash their wing mirror. I now realise they are just idiots.

Torvaig
22-Nov-11, 01:26
The idiot drivers who hurtle past you when approaching a summit, a junction or a corner will hurtle past whether there are white lines or not.

Those same drivers break the speed limits, do not dip their headlights until they have blinded you, seldom use their indicators, give cyclists and pedestrians minimum room, constantly talk on their phones and overtake school buses.

ducati
22-Nov-11, 07:24
I cycle alot and I am constantly overtaken on that stretch. Infact on sudnay i headed out to dunnet head and I was overtaken by two cars on the way back at the no overtaking part, both easliy far in excess of the 50mph limit. I used to think they just didnt care about cyclists as its only going to smash their wing mirror. I now realise they are just idiots.

Do you seriously expect cars to stay behind a bicycle for 3 miles?

sids
22-Nov-11, 07:35
Those same drivers break the speed limits, do not dip their headlights until they have blinded you,.

Just put your own lights back onto full beam until they get the message.

Torvaig
22-Nov-11, 09:11

Yes, I do resort to that but usually the damage has already been done i.e. temp. blindness.....

theone
22-Nov-11, 09:28

That'd be illegal.

But I'd do the same................

ducati
22-Nov-11, 10:13
That'd be illegal.

But I'd do the same................

Ideal! Two temporarily blind drivers hurtling towards each other. :roll:

theone
22-Nov-11, 10:26

Ah, but I'd slow down at the same time (in accordance with the highway code)...........

weezer 316
22-Nov-11, 12:27
Do you seriously expect cars to stay behind a bicycle for 3 miles?

No, I only expect them to stay behind me where its illegal for them to overtake, like the bit that has the "No overtaking" sign at the deepest bit of the depression. They still need to cross over to the other side of the road to overtake me, yet they cant see over that wee hill. If they want to do it owith another car its bad enough, but with a cyclist there if ther was a colission I would almost certainly get the rear end of a car in my face.

All they have to do is wait 10 seconds until we pass that bit, then they can see well ahead. So impatient its untrue.

I honestly feel like I take my life in my hands at that bit.

Torvaig
22-Nov-11, 12:53

Not really; I just give a quick flash. No way would I leave full beam on; two wrongs don't make a right.

sids
22-Nov-11, 13:33

Where's your sense of sport!

Well, I could just come to a stop when I meet a driver on full beam, but I'd probably be struck by the dazzled driver behind me.

Corrie 3
22-Nov-11, 14:09
Not really; I just give a quick flash. No way would I leave full beam on; two wrongs don't make a right.
The secret Torvaig is to not look at the other drivers lights but keep your eyes firmly fixed on your own beam which is (should be) pointing to the left verge on the road. That way you don't get blinded and lose vision ! I know it's hard not to look at the other drivers lights because we are like rabbits and moths and feel we have to look at them!
Try it next time you come across a bad driver who doesn't dip.

Hope that helps!

C3...........:)

Corrie 3
22-Nov-11, 14:11
Not really; I just give a quick flash.

Mmm!! Must remind myself to leave my lights on full beam next time I see you!!

C3.............:eek::roll:;)

Maccy
22-Nov-11, 14:15
No, I only expect them to stay behind me where its illegal for them to overtake, like the bit that has the "No overtaking" sign at the deepest bit of the depression. They still need to cross over to the other side of the road to overtake me, yet they cant see over that wee hill. If they want to do it owith another car its bad enough, but with a cyclist there if ther was a colission I would almost certainly get the rear end of a car in my face.

All they have to do is wait 10 seconds until we pass that bit, then they can see well ahead. So impatient its untrue.

Any driver is aloud to overtake a slow moving obstacle (10mph or less) and cross the double white lines if it is safe to do so. Highway code rule 129.

ducati
22-Nov-11, 14:16

It is at least a mile between the signs. I'm not saying they should overtake, but if you expect them not to, dream on!

And, in my experience, if 6 cars don't overtake you, then the 7th one will try to overtake the 6 and you.:eek:

Nick Noble
22-Nov-11, 14:23
Any driver is aloud to overtake a slow moving obstacle and cross the double white lines if it is safe to do so.

Not strictly accurate : ...

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070306

... but pretty close

weezer 316
22-Nov-11, 16:42
It is at least a mile between the signs. I'm not saying they should overtake, but if you expect them not to, dream on!

And, in my experience, if 6 cars don't overtake you, then the 7th one will try to overtake the 6 and you.:eek:

I think your getting confused. I am talkng about the section at claredon. The signs are about maybe 300ft apart. Its a small area. I cant see over the brow on my bike and I am higher up than the drivers of most vehicles. its just pute stupidity. it will add like 10 seconds onto their journey yet they still overtake.

DrChin
22-Nov-11, 17:21
All the roads would be a lot safer if No Cyclists were allowed on them. They are Slow, Dangerous and wobble all over the road. Car Drivers pay Road Tax and Cyclists pay Zero. So until they start to pay for the roads they should be banned from them. :roll:

Torvaig
22-Nov-11, 19:04
The secret Torvaig is to not look at the other drivers lights but keep your eyes firmly fixed on your own beam which is (should be) pointing to the left verge on the road. That way you don't get blinded and lose vision ! I know it's hard not to look at the other drivers lights because we are like rabbits and moths and feel we have to look at them!
Try it next time you come across a bad driver who doesn't dip.

Hope that helps!

C3...........:)

It does, thank you..... I shall endeavour not to be a moth!

Torvaig
22-Nov-11, 19:11
Mmm!! Must remind myself to leave my lights on full beam next time I see you!!

C3.............:eek::roll:;)

A humerous quip is always welcome....

weezer 316
22-Nov-11, 20:20
All the roads would be a lot safer if No Cyclists were allowed on them. They are Slow, Dangerous and wobble all over the road. Car Drivers pay Road Tax and Cyclists pay Zero. So until they start to pay for the roads they should be banned from them. :roll:

hahahaha! Listen sunshine, its you lot in cars that are dangerous. You manage to kill tens of thousands of people each year, no cyclists involved. Or get drunk and weave all over the road. Or travel at 100mph plus. That not "dengerous" no? Typical arrogance form drivers.

And yes I agree, we should pay road tax. Possibly a one off charge on purchasing a new bike or something.

Scarybiscuits03
22-Nov-11, 23:46
hahahaha! Listen sunshine, its you lot in cars that are dangerous. You manage to kill tens of thousands of people each year, no cyclists involved. Or get drunk and weave all over the road. Or travel at 100mph plus. That not "dengerous" no? Typical arrogance form drivers.

And yes I agree, we should pay road tax. Possibly a one off charge on purchasing a new bike or something.

Are you a driver? I think not - as if you were your opinion would be different! (and you wouldnt have the need to go out on country roads on a bicycle!)
Cyslists are indeed dangerous on roads - I cannot count the amount of times Ive nearly had a near miss on the Castletown to Thurso roads and it hasn't been anything to do with my driving, it is instead due to a cyclist or a number of cyclists.
Driving into Thurso I was heading towards the blind bend and noticed a cyclist on the opposite side, then to my horror noticed a lorry coming round the bend behind him/her. Now that lorry would have had no option but to swing over onto my side of the road in order to avoid crushing said cyclist like a bug - so I slammed my brakes on to avoid it taking me out instead. Now if that hadn't been a large vehicle, then I wouldn't have been able to spot it over the top of the trees and I would have encountered a head on collision all thanks to someone trying to keep fit!..........How would you feel if you were responsible for an accident that killed a young family?
May I suggest that you get an exercise bike and open the window if you want fresh air and exercise in the future!

Gronnuck
22-Nov-11, 23:46

That has to be one of the most arrogant statements I've heard from any motorist.
Many Cyclists are motorists too and have paid their Road Tax.
I haven't heard of any cyclists who have caused serious damage to another road vehicle recently.
I haven't heard of any cyclists who have killed or maimed people recently.
If drivers were to pay a little more attention to what's going on around them, relax and enjoy their driving they might find there's room enough for everyone to get along fine in Caithness.

Bobinovich
23-Nov-11, 00:03
...Driving into Thurso I was heading towards the blind bend and noticed a cyclist on the opposite side, then to my horror noticed a lorry coming round the bend behind him/her. Now that lorry would have had no option but to swing over onto my side of the road in order to avoid crushing said cyclist like a bug - so I slammed my brakes on to avoid it taking me out instead. Now if that hadn't been a large vehicle, then I wouldn't have been able to spot it over the top of the trees and I would have encountered a head on collision all thanks to someone trying to keep fit!..........How would you feel if you were responsible for an accident that killed a young family?

I would say it would be the fault of the lorry driver for not slowing down behind the cyclist instead of pulling out to overtake on a blind bend into the path of an oncoming vehicle myself!

Duncansby
23-Nov-11, 00:04
Are you a driver? I think not - as if you were your opinion would be different! (and you wouldnt have the need to go out on country roads on a bicycle!)
Cyslists are indeed dangerous on roads - I cannot count the amount of times Ive nearly had a near miss on the Castletown to Thurso roads and it hasn't been anything to do with my driving, it is instead due to a cyclist or a number of cyclists.
Driving into Thurso I was heading towards the blind bend and noticed a cyclist on the opposite side, then to my horror noticed a lorry coming round the bend behind him/her. Now that lorry would have had no option but to swing over onto my side of the road in order to avoid crushing said cyclist like a bug - so I slammed my brakes on to avoid it taking me out instead. Now if that hadn't been a large vehicle, then I wouldn't have been able to spot it over the top of the trees and I would have encountered a head on collision all thanks to someone trying to keep fit!..........How would you feel if you were responsible for an accident that killed a young family?
May I suggest that you get an exercise bike and open the window if you want fresh air and exercise in the future!

Is that a serious statement you make there or are you being sarcastic? If you are being serious it's the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in a long time - and that's saying something!

I haven't cycled on the road since I was a bairn and because of the way some folk drive you wouldn't catch me on a bike anywhere in the country - city, town or country. Everyone whether driving, cycling, horse-riding, running or walking have a right to use the roads and be treated with courtesy by other road-users!

ducati
23-Nov-11, 07:17
I would say it would be the fault of the lorry driver for not slowing down behind the cyclist instead of pulling out to overtake on a blind bend into the path of an oncoming vehicle myself!

I agree Bob, but you can feel warm and fuzzy on the way to the pearly gates knowing the accident that killed you wasn't your fault. Ask Pete if he knows a good lawyer. [lol]

theone
23-Nov-11, 07:37

The only person responsible for that accident would have been the lorry driver.

Scarybiscuits03
23-Nov-11, 10:30
The only person responsible for that accident would have been the lorry driver.

Indeed but there is no possible way he would have been able to see the cyclist until it was too late - unless he was driving at 10mph (as Im sure you are aware that bend is hidden by trees). Drivers cannot be expected to drive at such slow speeds on country roads on the off chance that there may be a cyclist lurking round the next bend! If that were the case we'd never get anywhere.
In MHO they shoudln't be allowed on the roads unless there is a cycle lane allowing them to be safe.

theone
23-Nov-11, 10:47
Indeed but there is no possible way he would have been able to see the cyclist until it was too late - unless he was driving at 10mph (as Im sure you are aware that bend is hidden by trees).

The highway code is quite clear:

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when:

- the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends

Drivers cannot be expected to drive at such slow speeds on country roads on the off chance that there may be a cyclist lurking round the next bend!

They can, and they are. See above!

In your case it was a cyclist. It could just as easily have been a broken down car, a road accident, a fallen tree etc. Either way, the ONLY person responsible for the accident would have been the lorry driver coming the other way.

Koi
23-Nov-11, 12:23
The idiot drivers who hurtle past you when approaching a summit, a junction or a corner will hurtle past whether there are white lines or not.

Those same drivers break the speed limits, do not dip their headlights until they have blinded you, seldom use their indicators, give cyclists and pedestrians minimum room, constantly talk on their phones and overtake school buses.

I hate it when i'm being blinded and can not see a thing because the other driver won't dip their headlights. I don't drive often in the dark though seem to do more of it now as its darker earlier. But when i do especilly on the castletown to thurso stretch it's unbelievable how much im blinded by other drivers not dipping their headlights. I don't get annoyed at other drivers often but christ why is it so hard to dip your headlights and be considerate?!

Scarybiscuits03
23-Nov-11, 12:27
The highway code is quite clear:

They can, and they are. See above!

In your case it was a cyclist. It could just as easily have been a broken down car, a road accident, a fallen tree etc. Either way, the ONLY person responsible for the accident would have been the lorry driver coming the other way.

You can quote the highway code all you want, the fact being cyclists are a hiderance on country roads and it would be safer for everyone if they stuck to their allocated cycle lanes.
In my bid to do this I shall drive as close as possible to said cyclists in the hope to scare the life out of them so they won't be silly enough to annoy me and dare drive in my path again!;)[evil];)

Gronnuck
23-Nov-11, 12:43
Drivers cannot be expected to drive at such slow speeds on country roads on the off chance that there may be a cyclist lurking round the next bend! If that were the case we'd never get anywhere.

Scarybiscuit you come across as being extremely arrogant. You really should have a look at the Highway Code where it says, "Take the road and traffic conditions into account. Be prepared for unexpected or difficult situations, for example, the road being blocked beyond a blind bend. Be prepared to adjust your speed as a precaution." If you don’t you could be guilty of driving dangerously, driving without due care and attention or driving without reasonable consideration for other road users.
Nobody in their right mind drives into a blind bend or over a blind summit without considering there might be something in their path on the other side. You really should slow down and drive in such a manner that you can stop if necessary. Up here the next obstruction you could encounter could be a farmer manoeuvring a tractor and trailer through a gate.
For someone who alludes to having a young family you show scant regard for their well being while they’re in your car.

weezer 316
23-Nov-11, 12:48
Your a moron.

I am learnign to drive (cant afford to sit my test to after xmas now haha) but your points are EXACTLY why you drivers are the most dangeruous things about, If you, and lorry dirvers, and everyone else drove at a legal speed at all times....and I dunno maybe slowed down at blind corners and bends and the like then we would be fine. As it is Arrogant people liek you moan we shouldnt be on the road!!

In short, the probelm aint cyclist, its your attitude and peope like you.

Scarybiscuits03
23-Nov-11, 12:59
Scarybiscuit you come across as being extremely arrogant. You really should have a look at the Highway Code where it says, "Take the road and traffic conditions into account. Be prepared for unexpected or difficult situations, for example, the road being blocked beyond a blind bend. Be prepared to adjust your speed as a precaution." If you don’t you could be guilty of driving dangerously, driving without due care and attention or driving without reasonable consideration for other road users.
Nobody in their right mind drives into a blind bend or over a blind summit without considering there might be something in their path on the other side. You really should slow down and drive in such a manner that you can stop if necessary. Up here the next obstruction you could encounter could be a farmer manoeuvring a tractor and trailer through a gate.
For someone who alludes to having a young family you show scant regard for their well being while they’re in your car.
I dont remember saying that I didnt drive without due care and attention? I drive the Castletown road 4-6 times a day and I witness others driving carelessly and this is what I am basing my knowledge on.....

Scarybiscuits03
23-Nov-11, 13:03
Your a moron.

I am learnign to drive (cant afford to sit my test to after xmas now haha) but your points are EXACTLY why you drivers are the most dangeruous things about, If you, and lorry dirvers, and everyone else drove at a legal speed at all times....and I dunno maybe slowed down at blind corners and bends and the like then we would be fine. As it is Arrogant people liek you moan we shouldnt be on the road!!

In short, the probelm aint cyclist, its your attitude and peope like you.

Once you've had 10 years experience of driving continuously around the North of Scotland, Im sure your opinion of cyclists may change. I know of many folk that refuse to drive further North than Inverness because of the winding roads that are hindered by cyclists......You're doing the tourist trade a world of good!!!

theone
23-Nov-11, 14:01
I dont remember saying that I didnt drive without due care and attention?

No, you never, but you seem to suggest that is perfectly acceptable to drive at speeds where your stopping distance is farther than you can see. I'll remind you:

Drivers cannot be expected to drive at such slow speeds on country roads on the off chance that there may be a cyclist lurking round the next bend!

A cyclist moves a lot faster on the road than a broken down car or a fallen tree.

You are LEGALLY bound to drive with due care and attention. And that involves following the rules of the road.

With your attitude condoning driving too fast around blind bends, blaming the cyclist being overtaken and not the person overtaking on a blind bend for a potential accident, whilst dismissing the highway code I would suggest it is YOU that is the danger that should be banned from driving on the road.

Scarybiscuits03
23-Nov-11, 14:11
No, you never, but you seem to suggest that is perfectly acceptable to drive at speeds where your stopping distance is farther than you can see. I'll remind you:

A cyclist moves a lot faster on the road than a broken down car or a fallen tree.

You are LEGALLY bound to drive with due care and attention. And that involves following the rules of the road.

With your attitude condoning driving too fast around blind bends, blaming the cyclist being overtaken and not the person overtaking on a blind bend for a potential accident, whilst dismissing the highway code I would suggest it is YOU that is the danger that should be banned from driving on the road.

I agree'd it would have been the lorry drivers fault - but he would have had no alternative!
So you are suggesting that every driver should slow down to -10mph on every bend and hill? Well, well, well, we may as well make the A9 one big cycle lane in that case, as it'll be quicker taking the train.........:roll:

Duncansby
23-Nov-11, 14:31
I agree'd it would have been the lorry drivers fault - but he would have had no alternative!
So you are suggesting that every driver should slow down to -10mph on every bend and hill? Well, well, well, we may as well make the A9 one big cycle lane in that case, as it'll be quicker taking the train.........:roll:

Right while we're at it lets ban everything off the road that travels slower than 30 mph (walkers, runners, cyclists, tractors, horse-riders, sunday drivers, end-to-enders) that way you won't have to worry about what might be lurking around the next blind bend. Then you can carry on driving arrogantly, inconsiderately and illegally (seeing as you don't seem to adhere to the Highway Code). Oh but hang on what about broken down cars, fallen trees, floods, livestock, wildlife ....

I love the fact you admit the lorry driver was at fault yet still feel he was put in that position by the cheek of a cyclist (daring) to be using the road!

Weezer's right you are a moron.

weezer 316
23-Nov-11, 14:48
Infact come to think of it, off all the crashes I haveknowledge of recently (including one in which a friend of mine died in between Castletown and dunnet) I cant think of any that were caused by cyclists. Can anyone else?

Too fast round corners, over blind spots, reckless overtaking are the main culprits.

But then they are ok...they dont put off tourists....they just kill people.

Gronnuck
23-Nov-11, 14:51
I dont remember saying that I didnt drive without due care and attention? I drive the Castletown road 4-6 times a day and I witness others driving carelessly and this is what I am basing my knowledge on.....

OK - I've re-read your posts and if as you say you drive with care and attention you will be aware of the potential for accidents. Good. I hope then that you will drive defensively and be aware that there are some less than considerate road users about.
So the bottom line is that you dislike cyclists. Is it because they run into the back of your car causing major damage? Do they mow down children and leave carnage in their wake? Or is it because they're moving too slowly?
I suspect it's because they take up too much of 'your' road; well I've got news for you - you don't own the road regardless of how much tax you pay.
Many people holiday in Caithness and one of the reasons is the wide open spaces, big sky and leisurely pace of life. I suspect that’s why many cyclists come this far north; many of them having driven here with their bikes on a bike rack. So there is a very good chance that the cyclist you see tootling along enjoying the scenery is a motorist too. The nub of the problem then must be your intolerance of cyclists. Get over it. They are sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, even granddads and grandmas enjoying themselves and getting a little exercise. Get yourself a bike and get out more.

Scarybiscuits03
23-Nov-11, 14:56
Isn't this fun, you have your opinion I have mine. But when you have to stoop to name calling in order to get your point accross......Well it just belittles how cridible your opinion really is! ;)

Duncansby
23-Nov-11, 15:07
What would you call threatening to intimidate other road users and endanger their safety? Selfish, stupid, dangerous, moronic...?

Scarybiscuits03
23-Nov-11, 15:14
What would you call threatening to intimidate other road users and endanger their safety? Selfish, stupid, dangerous, moronic...?
Humour? (Hence the wink) Im a grown up - I dont have time to spend chasing down cyclists.......or to spend my day looking for threads on the local forum to try and insult people. Something which most folk on here seem to do rather well. ;)

theone
23-Nov-11, 16:06

No that's not what I'm suggesting.

I'm suggesting people travel within the rules of the law.

Show me ONE place on the Thurso-Castletown road where 10mph would be the maximum you could travel to be able to see within your stopping distance. 30mph for a large lorry I could understand maybe, but 10mph? You're being a bit dramatic.

His alternative would have been driving safely.............

But yees, you did agree with me, but only after you had blamed the cyclist here:

Now if that hadn't been a large vehicle, then I wouldn't have been able to spot it over the top of the trees and I would have encountered a head on collision all thanks to someone trying to keep fit!..........How would you feel if you were responsible for an accident that killed a young family?

So who's fault do you think that accident would be? The cyclist or the lorry driver?

mi16
23-Nov-11, 17:15
If it was a pedestrian that was on the road would he or she also be responsible for the accident in Scarybiscuits world of fantasy and wonder, or is it only cyclists?

pat
23-Nov-11, 17:28
Scareybiscuits03
Think you should get your own personal roads or get everyone else banned from the road whilst you are using the PUBLIC highway - or are you a TROLL????

Jalna35
23-Nov-11, 18:15
Thanks to everyone who have posted in this thread. All I wanted to say was that without the road markings some drivers were taking chances with their own lives as well as ours because they have chosen to forget the double and dotted white lines down the centre of the road on some parts of the Thurso to Castletown Road. There were good reasons for them being there and they have not changed.It would be great if the Council would repaint them in. :)

Rheghead
23-Nov-11, 21:29

Based upon what?

Damage to road?
I think if we were to calculate the road tax for a bicycle based upon the damage potential to the road which is given as the fourth power of axle weight then we would be talking in the region of 30p per year.

Space taken up on road?
4 bikes would take up the area of a car so £50?

CO2 Emissions?

£zero, some cars go free if less than 100g/km

Prejudice?

£1000

bekisman
23-Nov-11, 21:41
Gone a bit off track this post? original poster never mentioned cyclists

Rheghead
23-Nov-11, 21:56
The OP never mentioned the subject of threads going off track either.

Jalna35
23-Nov-11, 22:29
Gone a bit off track this post? original poster never mentioned cyclists Yup the thread has gone a bit off track or in this case road (markings). And.... I'm not going to comment on cyclists. ;) Seems to be a bit of a volatile subject here even if my thread was not about them. Anyone else think of anywhere the road markings in Caithness are a bit lacking? It seems to me that the road from Castletown to Wick is bit lacking in them considering it is a pretty well used road. :)

bekisman
23-Nov-11, 22:41
The OP never mentioned the subject of threads going off track either.Why do you presume I intimated you?
(mine was #11 which seemed rather more connected)

Corrie 3
23-Nov-11, 22:53
Seems to be a bit of a volatile subject here
You'll get used to it Jalna......Whatever you do dont ask Tuggs for a weather forecast....now that is volatile !!! ;)

C3....:roll:;)

ps, what's your views on Windfarms???

mi16
23-Nov-11, 23:04
Back on topic, I dont see the requirement for these double lines in the center of the road, surely if it is safe to overtake then overtake, if it is not then dont.

gleeber
23-Nov-11, 23:11
It would be better with white lines. Its a deceiving bit of road if your not careful.

ducati
23-Nov-11, 23:27
Back on topic, I dont see the requirement for these double lines in the center of the road, surely if it is safe to overtake then overtake, if it is not then dont.

I find they relax me, I always feel under pressure to overtake if there is a car behind me, (particularly on the A9) if there are double lines then you don't have to for a while.

Jalna35
24-Nov-11, 02:48

As gleber says the road is deceiving and the blind summits mean that you can't see oncoming traffic making it dangerous to overtake. Better having the lines then it reminds drivers on to overtake.

Ah Corrie3, ;) me thinks from what you say, that commenting on 'Windfarms' would be like walking into a cave full of angry bears. I think I will let them hibernate for the moment. And.. asking for Tugmistress to give a weather report might stir up a storm. Sorry couldn't help it.
But now I will say goodnight as it is late and I can't find the match sticks to keep my eyes open.

mi16
24-Nov-11, 11:57
As gleber says the road is deceiving and the blind summits mean that you can't see oncoming traffic making it dangerous to overtake. Better having the lines then it reminds drivers on to overtake.

Ah Corrie3, ;) me thinks from what you say, that commenting on 'Windfarms' would be like walking into a cave full of angry bears. I think I will let them hibernate for the moment. And.. asking for Tugmistress to give a weather report might stir up a storm. Sorry couldn't help it.
But now I will say goodnight as it is late and I can't find the match sticks to keep my eyes open.

I disagree, you can clearly see that there are blind summits when approaching from either direction, there is no requirement for the lines in my opinion.
There is an argument somewhere that the roads are safer with all lines, signs and lights removed as it makes the motorists hazard perception sharper. All these devices give a false sense of security, at the end of the day a 4" wide white line wont stop a vehicle from crossing it because the highway code/law says so.

Duncansby
24-Nov-11, 12:30
Quite true unfortunately the amount of drivers who are incapable of driving without the aid of a white line is staggering! Not so long ago, at north keiss I trailled a car that was completely on the wrong side of the road!

theone
24-Nov-11, 12:55
at the end of the day a 4" wide white line wont stop a vehicle from crossing it because the highway code/law says so.

Of course it won't stop an idiot hell-bent on overtaking, but it will (and does) raise awareness to the normal road user that overtaking there is unsafe.

People not used to a particular road benefit greatly from warning sign and markings, whilst locals may become blind to them with experience.

mi16
25-Nov-11, 01:01
Of course it won't stop an idiot hell-bent on overtaking, but it will (and does) raise awareness to the normal road user that overtaking there is unsafe.

People not used to a particular road benefit greatly from warning sign and markings, whilst locals may become blind to them with experience.

And wht exactly is wrong with the normal road user using the senses that he or she was born with, combined with the mandatory driving training to make a call on wether it is OK to pass?

ducati
25-Nov-11, 01:17
And wht exactly is wrong with the normal road user using the senses that he or she was born with, combined with the mandatory driving training to make a call on wether it is OK to pass?

It goes wrong a lot.

theone
25-Nov-11, 07:18

Human error and limited senses (including a lack of x-ray vision).

mi16
25-Nov-11, 10:18
Human error and limited senses (including a lack of x-ray vision).

Our senses are perfectly adequate for the job, you can see that the road has blind summits hence you dont need x ray vision, just the sense to realise that it is an unsafe place to overtake, no different than any other corner that is blind and you dont see solid white lines on those.

If the public cannot make a quick risk assessment and decide that it is not safe then I refer you back to my earlier point of the drivers training being suspect.

Kodiak
25-Nov-11, 12:07
Our senses are perfectly adequate for the job, you can see that the road has blind summits hence you dont need x ray vision, just the sense to realise that it is an unsafe place to overtake, no different than any other corner that is blind and you dont see solid white lines on those.

If the public cannot make a quick risk assessment and decide that it is not safe then I refer you back to my earlier point of the drivers training being suspect.

Now why do you think a Blind Summit is called this.

Answer :- Because it is Not easily seen or Can Not be Seen.

Therefore to warn Motorists Double Whire Lines are painted down the Middle of the road to advise that it is not safe to overtake at that point.

bekisman
25-Nov-11, 12:08
Mentioning 'Blind Summits' was over on Orkney a few weeks back and seems every slope has 'Blind Summit' warnings..

mi16
25-Nov-11, 14:34
Now why do you think a Blind Summit is called this.

Answer :- Because it is Not easily seen or Can Not be Seen.

Therefore to warn Motorists Double Whire Lines are painted down the Middle of the road to advise that it is not safe to overtake at that point.

Completely wrong matey the summit is clear to see, its the road behind it that cannot be seen (and only momentarily in this instance).

Kodiak
26-Nov-11, 00:16
Completely wrong matey the summit is clear to see, its the road behind it that cannot be seen (and only momentarily in this instance).

Matey you are completely wrong. This in the English Language is called an ""Anomaly", It might be called a Blind Summit but what it actually refers to is the Dip on the other side. So when you see a warning sign "Blind Summit" this means be careful as there is a Dip in the road you can not see. This is the Blind Summit that is being refered to even though it is not a Summit and a dip, but it is Blind. As I said it is an Anomaly.

mi16
26-Nov-11, 08:35
Matey you are completely wrong. This in the English Language is called an ""Anomaly", It might be called a Blind Summit but what it actually refers to is the Dip on the other side. So when you see a warning sign "Blind Summit" this means be careful as there is a Dip in the road you can not see. This is the Blind Summit that is being refered to even though it is not a Summit and a dip, but it is Blind. As I said it is an Anomaly.

Now the English class is done!
So why the need for the lines then?
If the summit can be seen, and it is clear that the road drops away on the other side it is crystal clear that it is unsafe to pass.
I think perhaps all you while line warriors have been inhaling one or two white lines too many if your senses are so dulled that you cannot make a call on a safe or unsafe overtaking spot without the aid of a drop of paint.

Gronnuck
26-Nov-11, 10:37

I understand where you're coming from mi16 but your argument is flawed. You are assuming that everyone using that road has the same intelligent perception that you have and clearly that is not the case. Unfortunately white lines and clear 'instructions' are necessary for the less discerning road users who are busy using their mobile phones, drinking their tea, reading their newspaper or applying their make-up. If you took time to stand at the side of the road for a while you'll see what I mean, ;)

sids
26-Nov-11, 11:40

The danger of the Murkle road is that it is deceiving. It is not obvious how much of the road is hidden. A driver can think it is a clear straight road and suitable for overtaking. So they put signs and lines on.

Is this actually new to anyone?

mi16
26-Nov-11, 11:58
I understand where you're coming from mi16 but your argument is flawed. You are assuming that everyone using that road has the same intelligent perception that you have and clearly that is not the case. Unfortunately white lines and clear 'instructions' are necessary for the less discerning road users who are busy using their mobile phones, drinking their tea, reading their newspaper or applying their make-up. If you took time to stand at the side of the road for a while you'll see what I mean, ;)

Agreed, but this is a matter for the police rather than the painting squad surely?
If a person is that distracted that they ar not looking at or concentrating on the road to the point that the non deceptive crests in the road are not clear as are the totally obvious no overtaking signs then I doubt if a whit line will make a jot of difference.
IO dont find anything deceptive about that stretch of road at all, it is a very long straight of which both ends can can be seen clearly but it is plauged with crests on the minging end which are incredibly easy to see. It matters not, how much of the road is hidden. If you cannot see all of the road required to make a safe manouvre then you should not be making the manouvre. There you go dead easy isnt it?

Kodiak
26-Nov-11, 13:08
Now the English class is done!
So why the need for the lines then?
If the summit can be seen, and it is clear that the road drops away on the other side it is crystal clear that it is unsafe to pass.
I think perhaps all you while line warriors have been inhaling one or two white lines too many if your senses are so dulled that you cannot make a call on a safe or unsafe overtaking spot without the aid of a drop of paint.

You really do not think things through do you. I will say just one word and see if you can work it out all by yourself.

Litigation.

There have you got it now.

mi16
26-Nov-11, 15:43
You really do not think things through do you. I will say just one word and see if you can work it out all by yourself.

Litigation.

There have you got it now.

Here is another for you
Nonsense

Kodiak
26-Nov-11, 15:48
Here is another for you
Nonsense

LOL How Clever of you to describe your own posts like this, it is so accurate [lol]

Corrie 3
26-Nov-11, 17:26
Thanks to all who posted on this thread. It has taught me one thing if nothing else.....................
To stay clear of the Thurso to Castletown Road at all costs......
There are too many idiots using it who shouldn't even be on the road.
This thread has proved that!!!

C3................:eek::eek::eek:

bluemafia
26-Nov-11, 18:21
It does not matter whether there are lines on the road or not, a lot of these idiot drivers, NEVER bother to follow the rules of the road because they think that the law does not apply to them !

Corrie 3
26-Nov-11, 18:44
It does not matter whether there are lines on the road or not, a lot of these idiot drivers, NEVER bother to follow the rules of the road because they think that the law does not apply to them !
And they think they are Invincible and accidents and death are something that happens to others....Little do they know!!

C3.................:eek::eek:

Torvaig
26-Nov-11, 21:44
Thanks to all who posted on this thread. It has taught me one thing if nothing else.....................
To stay clear of the Thurso to Castletown Road at all costs......
There are too many idiots using it who shouldn't even be on the road.
This thread has proved that!!!

C3................:eek::eek::eek:

I hate to tell you C3; THEY are everywhere!

mi16
26-Nov-11, 22:41
LOL How Clever of you to describe your own posts like this, it is so accurate [lol]

What a James you are

Kodiak
27-Nov-11, 00:41
What a James you are

No, No you got it all wrong. I am a Bear named Kodiak :Razz

Jalna35
15-Dec-11, 00:52
Okay.. Just thought that I would say went to Wick yesterday via Castletown. :D the White Lines have returned, when exactly I don't know but I for one am happy about it. I thank who ever put the word in to the powers that be to get it done. I acknowledge there will be folks that will ignore them but at least they can't argue that they didn't know that the stretch of road is dangerous for overtaking.

adi1
15-Dec-11, 22:23
Interseting thread and some interesting views,yes there are always going to be drivers that are idiots in my opinion probably about 10% are. What concerns me more are cyclist see them most mornings in all weathers fog, gales, ice ,snow you name it not a care in the world. The worst ones are the ones who ride 2 abreast and take all the road. Who in their right mind cycles on a road were cars are travelling at 60mph plus?